Topic: DURec suddenly stopped recording

I'm using UFX as a standalone recorder, controlled by iPad running TotalMix.

Today's test (thankfully it was just a test and not a commercial work) consisted of recording 3 channels in 96KHz to a CF card.

USB reader/writer: Transcend P8 USB 2.0 Memory Card Reader TS-RDP8K
Card: Transcend CF 400x UDMA 32GB

Card was formatted as FAT with 32KB clusters, as always - which I understand is RME recommended way to prepare media.

All seemed well, but suddenly I notices a pop-up blue info notice on iPad's screen that said "recording stopped" - and sure enough, it did some time ago. UFX was running for 2hr45min and recording stopped at 2hr16min, after 3x 2GB files and one 600MB+ file.

I do not recall seeing any HDD errors, and available space on the card was over 23GB still.

Why did this happen and how to ensure stable recording?

Clearly this aborted recording would be a disaster if happened during a commercial or any live recording...

Thanks in advance.

RAW footage converted to video+audio, fast - for real-time playback and edit
Raw4pro.com

Re: DURec suddenly stopped recording

If you missed the latest firmware update for the UFX (see your other thread) then it would be the perfect explanation for this unexpected stop.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Updated to USB v357 (all other firmware was reported up to date already.)

Will test again, hopefully without surprises this time smile

BTW wonderful system, love my UFX. Just need to ensure everything is stable so not to fail on location. I'm sure you understand.

Raw4pro.com

4 (edited by PrimeHD 2014-07-10 04:17:28)

4hrs 30min recording, three 96KHz channels, same reader/card. Stopped it manually, because iPad ran out of juice (I probably did not charge it from last night's test.)

No issues this time around. Recording continued without a problem, and I even tortured the system by unplugging iPad then plugging it back in, so to see what intermittent connection would do to recording. Nothing - recording continued unabated, and sample rate stayed 96KHz as set from beginning.

Same iPad Gen 1, OS 5.1.1

What changed; very slight update to UFX firmware (only USB version got updated to 357 from the slightly lower number, best I can tell.) And, I have configured iPad for WiFi Off, Airplane mode, no other apps running- just TotalMix. Maybe that combination made a difference.

Will continue using the system this way for awhile; right now looks very stable.

Thanks Matthias and RME.

Raw4pro.com