Topic: Questions about Auto Level and/or Compressing Outputs

I am considering replacing my RME Fireface 800 with a Fireface UFX. One key feature I've been looking for is a way to limit the analog output to avoid excessively loud blasts when software crashes.

Here is what I would really like to be do. I tend to mix a low digital levels, so it is rare for the rms level to get above -10 dBfs. The problem is that when software does something stupid, I get a ~0 dbfs RMS signal, which is dangerously loud. Therefore, I would love to have a compressor that is triggered by a -10 dbfs RMS signal.

I'm very interested in using the compression available on the outputs to accomplish this goal. However, for it to work well, the compressor would need to be activated by an RMS level, not a peak. Is there anyway to do this? If not, I would absolutely buy the UFX if the feature was added. Considering that the rms levels of the track are already being calculated, I can't imagine it would be that hard.

Alternatively, it looks like the "auto level" feature could accomplish something similar, but I don't see much documentation so I really don't know how it works.

Does anyone know if I can already achieve this? If not, do I have other possible options? I really don't want to use a separate hardware compressor because it will color the sound, whereas RME's compressor will not have any effect when not being used. Thanks for the help.

Re: Questions about Auto Level and/or Compressing Outputs

The current output function Auto Level can do that (as mentioned in the manual). Max Gain 0, Headroom 6, Rise Time 1. Limits the RMS output level to around -10 dBFS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks. That is very good to know.

Did you come up with those settings for -10 dBfs by just converting from peak to rms for a sine wave?

I've found the manual explanation of Auto Level to be sparse, at best, so this sort of helps. Any more elaboration could be quite helpful, thanks.

The best elaboration can be got by using it...you'll quickly learn what it does and how it reacts.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

tedstriker wrote:

Thanks. That is very good to know.

Did you come up with those settings for -10 dBfs by just converting from peak to rms for a sine wave?

No. I just tried it with music and watched the level meter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So you could have saved writing the entire manual with this approach :-) . It *appears* to be a long-term leveler, then, from what I can tell...

gkephart wrote:

So you could have saved writing the entire manual with this approach :-) . It *appears* to be a long-term leveler, then, from what I can tell...

Indeed I was astonished now to not find in the manual what I thought is in there. I remember that I had explained how it works and why it can be used as 'long-term leveler' as well as 'output protector' or 'max volume limiter'. I will search tomorrow where that information hides.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks for reaffirming that I haven't totally gone insane! Having been in engineering for companies like UREI, Quad-Eight, Lucasfilm, Furman, etc., I certainly understand the "but I explained it you" situation- manuals can be challenging, to put it mildly.

Nonetheless, I have been playing with it quite a bit, and am starting to understand its behaviour a bit better. Looks like the "Max Volume" simply turns the overall output up, and the "Headroom" is a threshold control for a fairly brickwall limiter. The "Rise Time" seems to simply be an attack time, with auto release. At least it seems to behave that way...

Thanks for chiming in- I've wondered about it for a long time, but feared to actually engage it or to spend much time playing with it without a true understanding of what it does. The fear is now gone, so success!

Proposal for description text:

While the Compressor is mainly used to reduce signal levels above a certain threshold, Auto Level is a combination of limiter and signal amplifier, affecting levels around a certain threshold. The headroom setting sets the threshold from -3 dBFS down to -12 dBFS, which then also reduces the output level accordingly. The amount of amplification and the 'rise time' are also adjustable. The 'attack time' for lowering amplification when high level signals occur is a few ms.  Auto Level works pre-fader, so any loss in volume can be compensated by rasing the fader above 0 dB.

With only three simple controls Auto Level can be used as maximum volume limiter at the hardware outputs (factory preset Output Protector), to add some digital style, fast compression with and without the Compressor, or to operate more traditionally as fast or slow averaging leveler (again check the included factory presets). Note that Auto Level both reduces and increases gain. The channel's level meter in combination with the gain reduction meter gives an easy to understand display of how the function changes the signal.

If that is ok then my main problem is to find the space for it in the manual smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That sounds excellent, thanks! As for the manual, yep...

Much appreciation,
-Gary