Topic: Driver/TotalMix Fx suggestions/questions (HDSP driver v4.x)

First of all: simply WOW!!! I came here today just to notice the HDSP v4.x driver/TotalMix Fx announcement and I am simply stunned! You guys purely rock! Never thought about that!

I haven't installed v4.x yet, so, pardon me, when my questions seem to be self-explanatory by simply running the software.

Questions:

1) I use TWO Digifaces and a Bayface. AFAI understand, the Babyface uses another driver than the HDSPs, so these three device can still not be aggregated into ONE ASIO driver (and likely won't ever), even with the latest drivers, can/will they?

2) with the "old" TotalMix (non-Fx) I can ctrl-click the device top-right and open a dedicated TotalMix window for each of the two Digifaces. Is this still possible with TotalMix Fx? Having one tray symbol (win) to open TotalMix Fx and open a dedicated TotalMix Fx window for each of the three devices? OR switch the ONE TotalMix Fx window between any of the three devices?

Suggestions:

A) How about "disable Control Room" entirely (I dont need a control room on my second digiface and would like to have all channels aligned left to right in the three rows

B) using two Digifaces, both get aggregated into a single ASIO driver (and thus have to be synced).
Would it be possible to chose to have a "separate ASIO driver" per card instead, which then could have different clocking/sample rates/buffer sizes etc...)?

C) It is disturbing that my BF Phones level change upon switching Mix Presets (I already opened a thread about it: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19103) and I'm still waiting for the preference setting "Do not load Phones Volume/Balance", in addition to "Do not load Main Volume/Balance". Any chance?

D) I'd like to discuss further the possibility of "DAW recalling TotalMix Fx/Driver state" (http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19378). Any chance to see this happening?

Thank you
Tab

Re: Driver/TotalMix Fx suggestions/questions (HDSP driver v4.x)

1) No
2) You can open a new window and set it to the second device. Or switch one window.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks.

Some more suggestions:

E) custom labeling of ASIO I/O channel names?

F) What about adding Reverb to Total Mix Fx for HDSP, similar to the BF implementation (processing reverb on the CPU, but routed/adjusted within TotalMix Fx?)

G) opening up ADM to be controlled via MIDI (for ASIO hosts that do not support ADM and Mac coreaudio driver)

2) or open as much windows as you like.

A) you will get used to it and don't miss the old version then.

B) No.

C) Is on our list.

D) E) Very unlikely.

F) Technically not possible. Needs hardware support even when rendering in the computer's CPU.

G) Makes no real sense to me. MIDI allows that already now. And what control commands are issued from those DAWs then?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks,

G) yes, youre right. BTW do you know wether cubase Mac does support ASIO drivers and if so, where they have to be located to be recognized by cubase, or does cubase only support it's coreaudio2asio "thing"? I might develop a Mac ASIO driver which wraps an ASIO driver hosted on a win machine over copperlan, I simply have no clue about ASIO/cubase Mac and can't find any info? On the other hand, if cubase Mac supported ASIO, you surely had a Mac ASIO driver, hadn't you?

H) what about an optional "number of virtual ASIO loopback channels" in the driver, visible nowhere but as ASIO I/O channels within ASIO hosts for streaming audio between applications?

No ASIO in Cubase at all, only Core Audio.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

TabSel wrote:

H) an optional "number of virtual ASIO loopback channels" in the driver, visible nowhere but as ASIO I/O channels within ASIO hosts for streaming audio between applications?

Like this?
http://midithru.net/Home/AsioLink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Not quite, no.

I mean ASIO channels (beyond hardware I/O) with the driver simply copying the ASIO out buffer to the ASIO in buffer (mixing multiclient out buffers) (no network, but IPC shared memory, however you already manage it with your multiclient ASIO driver)

9 (edited by Timur Born 2014-07-18 16:21:35)

Driver based "virtual" ASIO channels would be neat, but in practice you often already get along with what the combination of (multiclient) output + hardware based loopback routing offers.

Jack Audio is software dedicated to just that. wink

I use jackaudio a lot, streaming audio back and forth between Mac and a Win VM for example, but, there is one flaw: it's by a long shot not as stable as RMEs driver. Change samplerate or buffer size and you have to stop/start the server, needing the host resetting the audio device, usually means restarting the host, at least change device and back to jackrouter again. And it adds another layer to fiddle with.

It would be so convenient to select ASIO Hammerfall driver in every host, output to HDSP Virtual Channel 1/2 in host #1 and receive from HDSP Virtual Channel 1/2 in host #2... As you do with LoopMIDI for MIDI/Sync/MMC already

11 (edited by Timur Born 2014-07-18 18:48:53)

Why not just output to HDSP physical channels and loopback those to physical inputs of another host then? As long as there are enough physical channels for your usage case that's how you can (ab)use TM to route audio from one application to another. Of course there is latency due to ASIO buffer usage. ReWire might be another possible solution?!

There are various methods. It's just a suggestion for RME, making their fabulous drivers even more unique. I'd prefer a one stop solution with rme software quality over fiddling hours with multiple third party niche products in order to have them doing everything, just not reliably and cumbersome to use.