Topic: Midi question

I am a guitar player and I wonder I am able to use my midi controller to turn effects on/off in total mix.
I also wonder if I am able to use Midi to turn channels on/off.
For example: I have a line level guitar signal that I route into my UFX - where I have different old boxes, 2290, Orville and so..
Can I turn the hardwired effects on and off - by for example muting effect boxes channels?

The manual is not very clear if this is possible - it looks so.
But I´d rather know before I start to tear my setup apart smile

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reidar

Re: Midi question

So I am replying myself.
It seems like it is possible to do this.
You just need to find the right sysex command

Could anybody tell me how the sysex strings would look for muting:
Output 5, 6, 7 and 8 on a UFX.

I am trying to understand the explanation in the manual - but I don´t get it.

Thanks for the help
Reidar

3 (edited by reidarnikolai 2014-09-01 18:49:54)

Still on my own smile

It seems I have trouble getting any Midi happening - the UFX blinks when I press a button on my foot controller.
But nothing happens in either the TotalMix or the UFX.
I have ticked midi enable, input and so on..

Could it be how my controller sends messages?
The manual says:
use the Add Byte option to enter the first byte in the
message. Each byte of data is specified in hexadecimal, where digits are in the range 0-9 and A-F. You can add up to 16
bytes to a message. Selecting an already defined byte allows you to edit or delete the byte.

Help?

Thanks
Reidar

Totalmix supports Mackie protocol and CC-Messages. Mackie protocol is quite complex and targetting midi fader boxes.
To simply turn on/off output volumes you could try the CC-Messages. These messages are setting volumes to dedicated channels. For stereo output no. 5 in hex: BC 72 00 turns volume off, BC 72 68 sets volume to 0dB (first byte BC is the command, second byte 72 is the channel +68hex, last byte is volume from 0...7F; if you meant mono channel 5 it would be BC 6D xx; for more information see UFX manual).

Best regards,

Ralf

5 (edited by reidarnikolai 2014-09-05 13:09:50)

Ralf - thank you very much for the suggestion.
Unfortunately I am a slow learner - and a guitarist. Never needed to know these things before..

It is this HEX language I don´t know - and understand.
I am looking around in tables to see what I can find out.
Just a plain midi channel and a midinote would be easier - for me

I´ll see If I can get this working Ralf.

Reidar

So:
I downloaded snoice - and it says I am transmitting on channel 13 with CC but it is still not working on the UFX.

I am stuck I think.
If it only supposed to be a midi channel - 13 - and CC72 the value 68 - then it is not working..

Reidar

Mor or less fixed: embarassed smile Forgot to tick the submix in the options menu...

Ralf: I was not able to get the hex
BC 72 00 to work last night - or any other on midi channel 13.

Everything else is - in a way - in the manual as you say.
I use a more time trying out because I punch on switches - compared to ticking on wheels or writing with a keyboard.

Thanks
Reidar