Topic: Need advice regarding new iPad for Totalmix control

Hi,

I'm going to buy a used iPad 2 or iPad 3 very soon to control my FF UFX's Totalmix FX.
I play live performances... the UFX is my digital monitor mixer as well as a recording device (durec).

I was wondering if it would make sense to record my performance not also with the UFX's durec feature but also with the iPad itself (backup!), for example with Cubasis or something like this. How much would this decrease the duration of the iPad's power?

As already mentioned, my main reason is to control totalmix during my live performances... I need the iPad to last at least a few hours, just to be on the safe side. If you guys would tell me, that the battery life would be shortened by a big amount if I use the iPad to record the whole performance too, then I would simply just not do it and go for an iPad with 16GB of storage space.
But if you've got good experience with it, I will be looking for a 32GB or 64GB device.

So, your help and your knowledge would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

ben

Re: Need advice regarding new iPad for Totalmix control

Recording several channels on the iPad would indeed cause battery drain due to higher CPU load. How much and how long - you will have to test that yourself. DURec usually does not need a backup as long as you use verified and pre-tested USB memory. Personally I would not buy a 2 or 3 - but a 4.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Recording several channels on the iPad would indeed cause battery drain due to higher CPU load. How much and how long - you will have to test that yourself. DURec usually does not need a backup as long as you use verified and pre-tested USB memory. Personally I would not buy a 2 or 3 - but a 4.

Hi MC,

I really appreciate your quick answer!

Could you give me a little more detail why you would choose the 4, and not the 2 or 3?
I really just need it for controlling totalmix, so I thought I could get away with a few less money to spend big_smile .... but maybe I forgot considering something important?!

Thank you!

Oh, and by the way, I'll be using a SSD drive mounted inside an external case... I didn't do any heavy testing until now, but at least a small test where not a single error occured...

Once you have an iPad you will want to use it for more than just remoting TM FX. Guaranteed. The 2 has insufficient CPU power and is outdated. The 3 has been a mis-design from the beginning (Retina but no adequate graphics power), which Apple fixed with the 4. Also anything below 4 can suffer from a so called Core Audio bug (search the Auria forum), which is no problem with TM FX, but might be one with your intended recording usage.

So spent a bit more money and be much more happy in the end...

SSD should indeed give full DURec performance.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Once you have an iPad you will want to use it for more than just remoting TM FX. Guaranteed. The 2 has insufficient CPU power and is outdated. The 3 has been a mis-design from the beginning (Retina but no adequate graphics power), which Apple fixed with the 4. Also anything below 4 can suffer from a so called Core Audio bug (search the Auria forum), which is no problem with TM FX, but might be one with your intended recording usage.

So spent a bit more money and be much more happy in the end...

SSD should indeed give full DURec performance.

That makes sense, thanks so much!

6 (edited by PhilippeMustang 2014-10-09 19:05:11)

Hello Ben,
Although I fully agree with MC, (well, if you disagree... You're done ;0) I just wanted to share my experience with my iPad 3 and TotalMix Fx for iOs on an UFX : it rocks !
It is so stable, I had no problem with it for about a year and during concerts, at the begining I had a PC for backup... Now I don't even bring it to the gig.
We are now 5 jazz/Bossa amateur musicians including Guitar, 3 vocal mics, 2 percussion mics 2 overheads for percussion, 1 Upright bass, and I mix and record our concerts, rehearsals on an external usb hard drive : no problem at all (I do not use the iPad for mixing after the show, but a Pc with Reaper using the files on the usb disk). The internal DI of the UFX when using the front input in 'instr' impedance are a delight for the bass and guitar.
I am waiting for a 'bigger iPad' to hit the shelves (well, at 47, I am enjoying wider screens), but for me, no performance issues (iOS7 for now)
Best regards,
Philippe

PhilippeMustang wrote:

Hello Ben,
Although I fully agree with MC, (well, if you disagree... You're done ;0) I just wanted to share my experience with my iPad 3 and TotalMix Fx for iOs on an UFX : it rocks !
It is so stable, I had no problem with it for about a year and during concerts, at the begining I had a PC for backup... Now I don't even bring it to the gig.
We are now 5 jazz/Bossa amateur musicians including Guitar, 3 vocal mics, 2 percussion mics 2 overheads for percussion, 1 Upright bass, and I mix and record our concerts, rehearsals on an external usb hard drive : no problem at all (I do not use the iPad for mixing after the show, but a Pc with Reaper using the files on the usb disk). The internal DI of the UFX when using the front input in 'instr' impedance are a delight for the bass and guitar.
I am waiting for a 'bigger iPad' to hit the shelves (well, at 47, I am enjoying wider screens), but for me, no performance issues (iOS7 for now)
Best regards,
Philippe

Hi Philippe,
thanks very much for your reply, that's really good to know, since I just picked up my "new" used ipad 4 big_smile
I'm really excited about using it live, the only thing I need now is a connection kit... is there any specific camera connection kit for the ipad 4 (!) that I should be using with the UFX? Any recommendations? When I google "ipad camera connection kit" I mainly find the ones for older iPads (2, 3 etc), that's kind of confusing me... would something like that (see link below) for example work with the UFX and iPad4?
http://www.amazon.de/Gilsey-Camera-Conn … connection

Thanks in advance!

For the 4 it is called Lightning to USB adapter. Buy the original!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Like MC just said, with your version of the iPad, the Apple (f..g xpensive) Original Lightning to UsB adapter is required, and I would just add : a black gaffer tape that I stick to the cables at the very beginning of the gig to avoid reccurent deconnections. In this situation, I even use a 5 meters USB exention and it works perfectly.
My only regret is the tiny little rotary button of the mics gain control that may 'jump' to saturn if  extra care, clean ipad screen and washed hands is not met during the gig (and who does a gig with a cool mind, washed hands and clean screen .. Hey, we play in jazz clubs !!)
There may be an option for 'vertical sliding command only of the gain', I will check. But if not, that would be my little request for October 2014...
Best regards,
Philippe

10 (edited by neirbod 2014-10-31 01:19:10)

PhilippeMustang wrote:

...at the begining I had a PC for backup... Now I don't even bring it to the gig.  We...record our concerts, rehearsals on an external usb hard drive : no problem at all

I agree mostly wink. For a critical recording I always use a backup. That being said, the direct to USB recording has never failed me and is so stable that to capture my live gigs I would not hesitate to use just this feature without any backup to PC or ipad.

The one caveat it that I use only flash drive storage.  Spinning hard disks can result in audio stutter when subjected to vibrations. I found this out during early testing of this feature. Perhaps not an issue for lighter bands, but if your rig is on stage with a loud bass amp or drums (or jumping musicians) you may have trouble.  Flash drive = no moving parts = no problem!

Thanks for all your advice, really love the tipps about topics where I didn't actually ask any questions about smile

I finally got my connector kit now... almost everything works as it's supposed to, but there are 3 things I was wondering about:

1) about an hour ago I messed around with my UFX and the iPad app and everything worked just fine. About half an hour ago I had to leave for a short an appointment, and now, when I came back, the totalmix app was totally frozen. I could close it by pressing the ipad's home button but when I opened it again nothing changed. The only solution was restarting the ipad.... I gotta admit: I'm a little scared now. Imagine doing some soundcheck, then let a few other artist do their show and then it's my turn, there could be a few hours between my soundcheck and my actual performance.. what if I start performing and realize I'm not 100% satisfied with my monitoring mix for example, then I'd like to use the app again of course to make some minor adjustments... well, if in that case the app would be frozen now that would be quite horrible -.- .. any tipps on how to avoid such sitations?

2) I also realized that the app is only working when the ipad get's booted up freshly. As soon as I disconnect the UFX and then reconnect it, i gotta reboot my ipad, does your setup also work like this?

3) my third question is about the workspaces... is there a way to export the workspaces I save inside the app? For backup for example?

Thanks again in advance, I'm looking forward to some helpful replies smile

ben

Is the 4 on iOS 8? That would explain it...otherwise it shouldn't behave like that.

Workspaces are exported (and imported) via the file sharing function in iTunes. See inlcuded help of TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by ben26 2014-11-02 21:20:02)

MC wrote:

Is the 4 on iOS 8? That would explain it...otherwise it shouldn't behave like that.

Wiorkspaces are exported (and imported) via the file sharing function in iTunes. See inlcuded help of TM FX.

Oh, yes that's the case... should I do a downgrade or will there be a Totalmix update soon?

Nice to know, thanks for the hint!

You can not do a 'downgrade'. And with the current state of iOS 8.1 everyone will have to wait for the next update to (hopefully) solve these problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You can not do a 'downgrade'. And with the current state of iOS 8.1 everyone will have to wait for the next update to (hopefully) solve these problems.

This can't be real, so I've spent a few hunred euros just to realize it's not working? -.-
The only solution will be selling and buying a "new" one with older firmware?
Strange world ^^

Thanks for the information anyways!

It is real and affects anyone...even me personally (not this issue but others)...hunting for a used device which is still on 7.x...sad but true...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It is real and affects anyone...even me personally (not this issue but others)...hunting for a used device which is still on 7.x...sad but true...

Yeah it hurts even more due to the fact that it WAS on 7.x when I got it, but I'm a total apple noob (it's my first apple device), so I didn't know about the problems 8.x is making... well.. yeah.. shit happens. I hope it get's solved pretty soon, I want to play the next live gigs at the beginning of 2015... I hope apple is fast enough.

MC wrote:

Good to know. I recently bought an iPad Mini (2, not the new 3) which came with 7.04. I definitely won't be touching the upgrade button.

Regards, Christine