1 (edited by daveee 2014-10-24 13:12:30)

Topic: Babyface build quality - labels rubbed off and toslink 'door' snapped

Hi

I'm really happy with my Babyface in terms of the stability / sound quality etc.

But the build quality seems fairly poor for a mid-range unit.

The lettering on the buttons rubbed off in the first few hours of use! And one of the little 'doors' on the toslink optical ports snapped the first time I plugged in an optical cable (I was very careful when plugging it in - mainly because it's an expensive glass fibre cable). The 'door' is now rattling around inside the unit.

Did I do something wrong here? Or is this a common issue?

thanks in advance

Re: Babyface build quality - labels rubbed off and toslink 'door' snapped

... and the feet didn't stay on very long, but i'm less concerned about that.

Please contact the retailer or local distributor for service options.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

daveee wrote:

And one of the little 'doors' on the toslink optical ports snapped the first time I plugged in an optical cable ... Or is this a common issue?

Unfortunately, all equipment seems to use these cheap TOSLINK connectors that rely upon plastic doors that have two tiny extrusions as hinges, so it does not take much to damage them. the one on my top-of-the-line Samsung TV broke the first time I pulled out the cable (though it probably happened the first time I plugged it in because it was very difficult to take it out - like you, I was being extremely careful).

Seems to have been one of those things where there seems to be no ranges of quality, so there is no option to buy better. Where are the metal ones with stainless steel spring-loaded doors?

On music hiatus, so RMEs have gone to homes where others can enjoy them.

I've had the top plate on mine replaced twice because the paint finish has started to peel off. It's an reasonably early unit, bought in 2011.

In 2012, I was told by synthax that they had never seen this happen but they replaced the top cover under warranty, so I thought Ok, must have been a one off.

Then it happened again in 2013, again the top was replaced under warranty with assurances that I was the only one to have had this happen once, let alone twice.

Today I've had to email Synthax, because the same thing is happening again.

The Babyface is sat on my desk, next to / under my computer monitor, the only time it's not been on my desk is when I've had to return it for repair. I don't know what to think, is my desk some strange hostile environment that dissolves the finish on devices? My monitor, deskphone, keyboard and mouse seem to survive well enough.

The finish on the buttons is fine though, as are both the optical ports covers, so I guess I've got that going for me :-)

All of it is apparently normal, unfortunately.

I've replaced mine with a new one because the button labels had started to peel off (after a month), then RME support told "it wasn't normal" and that I should get the babyface replaced. Six months with a new one, the buttons labels have already disappeared and the small feet rubber stickers didn't hold long either.

daveee wrote:

Hi

The 'door' is now rattling around inside the unit.

Did I do something wrong here? Or is this a common issue?

I have the same problem, the door of the toslink optical port is broken and is rattling inside the unit. Is it dangerous for the unit? Can I do something?

Most of the blue near the volume rotary and buttons on mine rubbed off within the first year or two so it looks pretty sad. Thankfully I hardly ever sell RME gear so I'm not so worried about resale but still, it's a shame it looks so bad. Easily my most worn-looking piece of gear.

Babyface, Macbook Pro 2015, OSX 10.14.6