Topic: Grouping Question

At a recent event I wanted to use a fader group to keep all the drum inputs in sync.  But fader groups only work for a single output (I'm not sure why) and the drums need to go to Main (FOH), centre fill and stage monitor outputs.  It would need 6 fader groups.

I'm using a UFX with an XTC.

I want to know if I can send all the drum inputs to an unused output then they run a cable from that output to another input, and then send it to the 'real' outputs.  The 'unused' output would then act like a sub-group.

To take this a step further - is it possible to plug the output of ADAT 2 into the input of ADAT 2.  This would make 8 mono or 4 stereo sub-groups (plus adding EQ and Dynamics to each group).  I haven't tried it yet, in case it might damage the UFX.

Any ideas?

Re: Grouping Question

You overlooked the TrimGains function in the drum channels?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by RichardC 2014-10-24 17:50:16)

I'm already using Global Trim but then I can't use fader groups.  I want to move all the drum faders together for all the drum outputs.  i.e. as a sub-group.

You are right, it is not possible at this time (we'll discuss this). Your group workaround does work. You should use a digital I/O or the signals will be additionally delayed by AD and DA conversion.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks very much.  I wanted to check that I wouldn't damage the UFX if I 'looped' ADAT or AES channels.

I am guessing that there is a software logic reason why input fader groups only work for a single output  - and therefore you can't have any fader groups with Global Trim.

I am glad Richard raised this.  I too have often wanted this ability, especially for live drums.  I hope RME can find a way to add flexibility to the fader groups or trim gains features to make this possible. 

Also ideally one could do Richard's workaround without cables, routing drums to an unused output that could then internally loop back to an unused input.  Perhaps expanding the current loop back feature to 1) allow users to chose which input is the loop back target, and 2) allowing users to specify if loop back is only for the recording chain (current system) or also feeds the  monitoring chain.

I tried it with ADAT 2 and it's working great, although the cable supplied with the UFX didn't work but another ADAT cable did.  It's great to have all the channel strip processing on the sub-group.  I am assuming it will work the same with AES.

Sub-Groups

In case the screenshot isn't clear - Group 1 Out is getting a mix from Overhead Left, Overhead Right, Kick and Media.  Group 1 Out goes to Group 1 In which goes out to Main, Sub, Fill and Phones 1 outputs.

I guess I'll have to be careful not to send Group 1 In to Group 1 Out!

> It's great to have all the channel strip processing on the sub-group.

That of course would not be available even if Trim would work like you and Neirbod requested it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME