1 (edited by nicolaskeller 2014-11-11 09:43:39)

Topic: SOLVED! ASIO Direct Monitoring Stereo Panning

Hi  guys,

I have one quick question for you to start off the weekend:

When recording guitars or bass I usually record stereo channels. One with the guitar/bass sound, one with the DI track and pan them hard left/right so that only the guitar/bass sound is heard. This works well for recording and direct monitoring tracks for the left guitar. In Cubase the guitar input is assigned to the left, the DI input is assigned to the right input of the stereo channel.

Now when I want to record the other side of the guitars, i.e. the right track, I obviously only get to hear the DI if I pan my stereo track to right. I thought swapping over the channel assignment would give me a solution to my problem but it doesnt. If I assign my guitar input to the right and the DI to the left of my stereo track, pan the stereo track to hard right, I still get the guitar sound only on the left and the DI on the right.

Any suggestions how I can get Total Mix to route my input L to output R?

Thanks for your input (haha)

Nick

Re: SOLVED! ASIO Direct Monitoring Stereo Panning

Easiest thing to do is not record in stereo. Record as two mono tracks in Cubase. You can then easily manipulate both the di and miced signals separately.

Hi neirbod,

yeah, I thought about that too. The only problem is that if I record two mono tracks I cant edit the tracks simultaneously (I am talking about time warp here), Cubase still cant manage multitrack time warp... Otherwise this would be perfect.

Apart from that this question leads to the next one - Recording bass or solo guitar. In this scenario I need to have the left input channel panned to the mid and the right channel (DI) muted... Since Total Mix is so flexible in its routing I am sure that there is a solution, right?

Nick

Hi,
use mono channels in totalmix, pan one channel and mute one channel!

Urban

Fireface UFX | Fireface800 | Babyface | Octamic II | ADI-2 | ADI-648 | Audient asp 008

This way asio direct monitoring should not work, should it? Since the track and bus configuration needs to be the same as in the DAW, stereo in to stereo out in cubase should require total mix to also use a stereo input track. Let me double check tomorrow morning when I am on my system.

Urban,

just double checked your idea and guess what - it worked! pretty cool, now the channel swap with stereo tracks works fine. The only thing that doesn't work yet is recording a stereo track and having only the left channel panned to the centre, the right channel muted (this would be for solo guitar or bass recording).

aaaaaand this problem is also solved:

create stereo input track, one channel amp, one channel DI. Load the plugin stereotools (32 bit vst plugin from kelly industries), this allows you to turn your stereo track to a mono track and mute one channel, swap channels etc.... route your stereo channel to a mono bus and here we go!

thanks for your answeres guys.