Topic: Fireface 800 with Skype

Hello!

I'm trying to use my Fireface 800 with Skype. I get sound output but no sound input. I use Fireface 800 Analog 9+10 but there's no sound. I tried MME as well but no luck. Adobe Audition works fine with WDM. What's wrong here?

Re: Fireface 800 with Skype

Not sure if this will work at all. But even if Skype accepts the audio data, it still can not change the mic volume (auto adjust level) with the FF, which IMHO is a feature you don't want to miss. Please get yourself a cheap blaster clone and use this one for such purposes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey Matt,

Is it possible to use both the RME FF800 in conjunction with a soundblaster clone? It was asked of me to setup a client session via Skype for remote playback. If I let a soundblaster clone handle skype, could I still use the matrix to route channels to the soundblaster, even if it require a physical patch? Of course no physical patch would be great but I have limited time to make this work. I guess it's just a matter of if the two drivers can run side by side?

Josh

Usually that works ok.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It is a remote session via VOIP. So basically I want to be able to group channels from a DAW and pass them back to skype. I tried loopback mode but had a marred stream when using the same channels between programs (sending the mix to skype and the skype output to talent). I know you cannot speak about Skype and the stream it provides, but I was wondering if you could speak more broadly on passing audio streams back and forth between programs or point me in the right way.

It is very much appreciated!

Josh

Hi Josh,
I have not used Skype before to know if this will work. I used screen capture before where I've had to have the audio from the projects available as well as 2 way voice communication. I did this with my old Mackie Mixer. I hooked up the Line I/O of the on board audio and hooked up the RME line out 1/2 to the Mackie.
I used the Mackie to monitor the Cubase playback and the person on the other ends voice. This was with Ventrilo which works a bit different than Skype. I have a cheap old Shure mic with a switch for myself and just switch it on and off as needed. The setup didn't look pretty but worked fine.
This way the Skype or other software work off the on board audio is best sense it won't give you sample rate and/or bit depth limitations with your audio software.

Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

Thanks for the reply,

The sample rate does seem to differ from whatever skype is using which very well may be variable. I can't seem to get the whole thing working without coming off another sound card or another machine. I am thinking about coming out of my laptop and going in line level to a location mixer that we have sitting in the shop.

Thanks for the suggestion, buying another board isn't really worth it when it comes down to PCI slot it will take.

I'll let you know how my workaround comes around.

Josh