Topic: TotalMix / Logic ~ Gain Knob Question

Got a new Babyface, watched tutorials and scanned the manual a couple of times. Trying to wrap my head around TotalMix after coming from MixControl. In my first session last night I was recording vocals, mono, in AN/1. With the settings on the LA610 pre-amp in the identical positions of previous recording sessions with Saffire 40 the recording level on the armed channel in Logic was lower.

I selected in on the spin wheel on Babyface to raise recording level and it didn't seem to do anything. I selected the wrench on AN/1 and adjusted the Gain Knob and the meter level did in fact go up on the armed track in Logic.

Begin confusion: I thought I had understood that TotalMix only controlled monitoring and that it would not impact the actual recording process but Gain Knob increase in AN/1 did raise the level of the armed track. Did it 'actually' record at that higher level or was that just a monitoring increase?

What is the correct point for raising recording level in your armed track? Thank you.

Re: TotalMix / Logic ~ Gain Knob Question

Indeed Totalmix is about monitoring essentially. But inputs that are made for microphone signals will need gain, to amplify the rather low levels of the original signal to a usable level. Every hardware mixer has got gain control at the inputs for this purpose, and as with every such mixer, the gain parameter in Totalmix is independent from the mixer faders.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you for your quick response. So to make sure I understand... increasing the Gain Knob in AN/1 actually 'did' increase my recording level?

Yes, of course, that is the idea of a gain control. It will not likely be needed for line inpu signals, but it is required for microphone signals, which can be raised by up to 60 dB.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME