1 (edited by Sciss 2014-12-21 19:12:41)

Topic: What are my current RME options for Linux?

Hi,

I am running Debian Jessie on a MacBook Pro 2010 (?) model, i.e. it has FW800 and USB, no ExpressCard slot. I've given up on my old MOTU 828 mk2, because the Jack firewire driver simply is unreliable, the beast starts to beep and make strange noises at random occasions, so it's unusable in a concert.

In my lab, we have multiple RME devices. While I had trouble getting FF400 to work without problems, the Fireface UCX works very reliable in class-compliant mode under USB. But I don't want to spend that much money if I can't get all I/O to work (i.e. also the ADATs).

Which are my RME options <1500 EUR for a contemporary LInux machine that gives me at least 8 inputs and outputs (and so that I don't have half of the channels inaccessible as in the UCX case).

Thanks!

best, .h.h.

Re: What are my current RME options for Linux?

I cannot comment on Linux, but the ADAT I/O works in CC mode as well. If not then you are using a very old UCX firmware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2014-12-22 10:32:25)

As nice as Linux is, but in terms of recording the available software is nothing but toys.
I wonder, why you spend so much money on an RME interface but then go the Linux way, make no sense IMHO in regards to the limited availability of professional DAW software and VSTs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@Ramses.
Now this is really a long time i didn't hear such a stupid remark.
I wonder why you spend your time on the linux-forum, as we discuss about toys and you discuss aout ultra-professionel software like cubase.

5 (edited by ramses 2014-12-22 12:29:24)

@sonik: I regarded it as a valid question and simply wanted to make a comment on this.

Could have been the case, that you eventually do not know, what limitation and potential problems you might get.
I am sorry if you understand me wrong or even thought I want to insult you in any way.

But I think you overreact a little bit regarding my comment as stupid.

I am still looking with interest into the Unix part of the forum as I was over 10y a develper in the BSD scene and contributed to Open Source. I am glad if any flavour of Unix makes progress in whatever area this is.

On another forum with a large user base and people using Linux it was last year still simply the outcome, that all Linux solutions do not compare close enough to commercial software in terms of user friendlyness and features.

If you know already about the limitations of such a solution, then ok go ahead and simply ignore my comments.
If this solution does the trick for you, then I am perfectly fine with it, was just wondering ...

I personally regard it still as much waste in terms of money, as you loose so much from RMEs functionality of its toolchain like totalmix and DigiCheck. But you seem to have your reasons ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Cubase on linux? I never said that, please read and understand.
I am not unfriendly neither.
It's just that i cannot let you say that " in terms of recording the available software is nothing but toys."
But from my proper experience i can tell you that Mixbus on Linux sounds so much better than Cubase on Windows.
So i ask you why you buy RME and then you work with cubase???
And yes, we don't have totalmix fx on linux, but we have hdspmixer, which is a clone of  totalmix.
I don't need totalmix, i do headphonemixes inside Mixbus or ardour, i record 24 tracks at 96k with 2,3ms latency. Rocksolid.
No crashes, no x-runs. So you are not professionel because you cannot install totalmix? Rubbish. Digicheck? On linux there are other tools. VST? There are VST-Hosts in linux, but you have tons of lv2 and ladspa-plugs.
Before this thread is going to be a "my os is the best os thread", i will stop here. I just want you to know that i am not polluting the windows-section of the rme-forum with threads that do not concern me and where my competence is seriously limited.

EDIT: While i was typing the reponse, you edited yours, so certain points may not be valuable anymore

7 (edited by ramses 2014-12-22 13:50:03)

> Before this thread is going to be a "my os is the best os thread", i will stop here

Calm down nobody said that.

> EDIT: While i was typing the reponse, you edited yours, so certain points may not be valuable anymore

Yes I tried to find the right words for you.

8 (edited by Sciss 2014-12-26 16:22:42)

I wonder, why you spend so much money on an RME interface but then go the Linux way, make no sense IMHO in regards to the limited availability of professional DAW software and VSTs.

I think you are mistaken in two regards here. First of all, I am not having an existing RME and then going to Linux. I am on Linux and I am looking for a professional audio interface that is well integrated. Second, having worked on OS X since the days of 10.2, I don't regret having switched to Linux this year. I am a professional computer muscian and I am also a software developer, in fact most of the audio software I am using I have written myself. The developer experience on Linux is way superior to OS X. I am doing sound art and contemporary music, and I have stopped caring for the likes of ProTools, Logic and VST plugins many years ago.

I have just run a realtime interactive sound installation off an RME Madiface and Linux without any fuzz, which proves that Linux can be a professional audio platform. It's just that many vendors don't give a damn which is quite sad.

I am still interested in the Fireface UC and if it is possible to use all channel on Linux or not. Thanks to @Matthias Carstens for confirming that in principle it should work. I can try this with the UCX in our lab once I'm back from the Xmas break, perhaps I didn't configure Jack properly.

Otherwise I'm looking now at the significantly cheaper Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 about which I have heard mixed stories (from people having trouble on older OS X and on Windows to get the mixing software going, to cheap knobs, to people using it successfully on Linux). I guess I'll just order a unit and give it a week to be up and running without problems, or otherwise return it.