Topic: Fireface 800 high frequency acoustical noise (sine wave)

I've been experiencing some high frequency (maybe at 10 kHz?) sine being emitted acoutically from my Fireface 800. Today I observed that it seems to disappear when the unit has been on for a couple of minutes.

It doesn't seem to be related to if the firewire cable is connected or not.

I'd like to clarify that this noise is acoutical, you can hear it when sitting next to the unit, it's not in the signal path.

Of course it's quite annoying, but as long as it disappears after a few minutes I'm ok.

Has anybody had any similar experience, is it "normal" with this unit, or should I do anything about it?

Similar older thread:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9281

Re: Fireface 800 high frequency acoustical noise (sine wave)

UPDATE: The noise is still there after warm up, but barely perceivable.

It does however disappear for a split second when I click "Store in flash" in the Fireface settings ...

Switching power supplies often make such high spectrum noise.
Georg

The noise disappeared after a few weeks. I have since then noticed that when the unit has been off for a week or so and I turn it on, it will make the noise for a few hours. After that there's no noise as long as the unit is used every day or so. Just for the info.

This is probably a sign that your power supply will fail soon. You should try to schedule a check up and service soon.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Oh, bad news. We'll see what happens smile Good to know!