1 (edited by elkcat 2015-02-02 02:44:52)

Topic: Fireface UCX or Fireface UC

I use an Imac and Logic audio 9. I have been using a apoggee duet 1 which has recently died. Im looking to upgrade to a Fireface UCX or Fireface UC.

Is there any real reason to stick with firewire?

considering new imacs don't even have firewire anymore and at some point I might need to upgrade my computer it seems to me that just going with thee usb version makes sense.

Im not sure of the implications though.

Thanks for your help in advance.

King Regards,

Elkcat

imac i7 logic 9

2 (edited by ramses 2015-02-02 07:08:36)

Re: Fireface UCX or Fireface UC

Hi,

having firewire as an alternative port is an advantage, then you can choose whatever runs better on your system.
You will surely operate such a recording device 10+y, much longer than a laptop or PC.
Maybe you will have a desktop or latop in the future which allows for firewire, who knows.

So its perhaps better to have firewire on top as a "plan B" shall USB have issues, caused by either chipset or
the combination of USB devices connected. USB is a synchronous protocol, Firewire is implemented asynchronous.
So it works a little different and can make a difference.

Besides Firewire port there are some more differencies between UC and UCX, which IMHO justifies to spend even a bit more good invested money.

The UCX offers on top:
- newest low latency converter
- converter from Micstasy/UFX (but without parallel converter design, this is UFX only)
- Autoset
- FX chip with complete UFX 192kHz effect engine
- Class Compliant Mode for connecting to Apple or recording with iPAD
- Possibility to connect the ARC (advanced remote control)
- 6 standalone setups on the device (setup recall); UC only last settings

I am not 100% sure but I remember having read, that also the FPGA on the UCX is a little bit larger than on the UC allowing for more changes additions in the future.

I think if you spend money in that range, you should go for the device which is newer from design perspective and features. Then you have a value for longer time.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/961 … s-2014.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/961 … -2014.xlsx

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

thanks ramses! I appreciate the advice.

One thing though. Apple haven't used firewire for sometime now. everything is thunderbolt or lightning (not sure which) therefore firewire is kind of out of date anyway.

Id be interested to hear your thoughts on this?

cheers!

imac i7 logic 9

4 (edited by ramses 2015-02-03 18:18:49)

Firewire is only one of many things where the UCX is better / offers more flexibility...

I simply wouldn't invest into UC, as the UCX has simply the newer design, quicker converters, more features.

In terms of sustainability: if spending so much money into a device, then I would do it only for the current available actual design. I even upgraded from an Focusrite LS 56 to an UFX, to make a nail on that point.

Shall you need to sell it, you get anyway good prices for used RME gear, but the UCX has some unique features, so that the chance to get it sold for a real decent price is actually higher.

Shall TotalMix extensions be done in the future (what is to be expected), then I think the UCX should offer more headroom for upgrades than the UCX, but this would need to be validated by RME.

But its of course your decision. If you need the money for other things .. your decision. I only wanted to give you a chance to think about it twice. Buying twice would be more waste of money.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13