Topic: No Sound with RME HDSP 9632 Soundcard on Mint 17.1

Hello Friends,

i have some problems with my RME HDSP 9632 Soundcard on Mint 17.1. It does not show up in the output/input devices section and I get no sound.
I read many articles about it ,but I cant get it to work. Also my skilled Linux friend tried to help me, but he was helpless.
My linux skill-level is not very high. I come from "Macrohard Losedows" big_smile
I started Threads here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … ?p=5332156
and here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p … 70#p994870

Thank You All
Greetings
Demuxer

Re: No Sound with RME HDSP 9632 Soundcard on Mint 17.1

Do you know that you need to initialize the card? You can do that either by typing <hdsploader> in a terminal or open the hdspmixer-application.
( I suppose you have alsa-firmware and alsa-tools installed).
Do you have modulation on the vu-meters of the hdspmixer?
Do you work with alsa or jack?

Hi Sonik,

thanks for help big_smile
hdsploader says this, but does not load anything:
hdsploader
hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
Card 0 : RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632 at 0xf7a00000, irq 18

I use alsa and have alsa-tools and alsa-firmware installed.
The alsamixer says this:
?????????????????????????????????????????? AlsaMixer v1.0.27.2 ???????????????????????????????????????????
? Card: Hammerfall DSP F1: Help ?
? Chip: Xilinx FPGA F2: System information ?
? View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture F5: All F6: Select sound card ?
? Item: Line Out Esc: Exit ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
? ?????? Sound Card ??????? ?
? ?- (default) ? ?
? ?0 Hammerfall DSP ? ?
? ? enter device name...? ?
? ????????????????????????? ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
? ???? -6 dB ???? Coaxial ???? ???? ???? +4 dBu No Lock No Lock ???? ?
? ?OO? ?MM? ?MM? ?MM? ?MM? ?MM? ?
? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ?
? ?
? <Line Out>Phones G S/PDIF E S/PDIF I S/PDIF N S/PDIF O S/PDIF P AD Gain ADAT Loc ADAT Syn Analog E ?
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????
No, no movement in the hdspmixer meters, just pure silence.

Greetings

? ?OO? ?MM? ?MM? ?MM? ?MM? ?MM? ?

I think that this means that the first pair of outs is at zero, and the following pairs are muted.
Can you mount the level of the first out (which is line out, i suppose) with the arrow-up button?
Can you unmute or mute (hitting the m btton)?
Are the faders in hdspmixer up?

Whoops, this was a bad copy paste big_smile
Here are screenshots:
https://mega.co.nz/#!Z59DSSTY!z6YeSN4WC … S73WMbMBUk
https://mega.co.nz/#!488GlLTR!hNawFiANV … MIGLjwUyNo

Okay, on the second screenshot we see alsamixer. Can you (while staying on the line out) change level with the arrow-up and -down buttons?
You can do another test, which is to specify your analog out (Out 11 & 12) at 0db with these alsa-commands:

amixer -q -D hw:DSP cset numid=5 12,10,32768 ;
amixer -q -D hw:DSP cset numid=5 13,11,32768 ;

OR

amixer -q -D hw:DSP cset numid=5 16,14,32768 ;
amixer -q -D hw:DSP cset numid=5 17,15,32768 ;

This is a guess and it's taken from a topic i started on the avlinux forum (with my hdsp9652, so the channelcount may be inaccurate).
http://geekconnection.org/remastersys/f … pic=3230.0

Btw you see that hdspmixer is refering to your card beause it shows values (-90 -100) on the analog ins and outs. The hissing of analog.

Hmm, the arrow up and down keys change nothing at line out. But pressing M works, and it says "Muted".
I ran all these commands (without sudo) but I didnt recognize any change. But this says nothing, as I am a Linux noob big_smile
I also dont know where to check, if something changed.
Checked out your thread.
This hissing is my Microfone, which is connected over XLR. It was switched off. I turned it on and i got Level in the meter. So this seems to work.
I try a shutdown with removing the power plug.

I think its a routing problem. Basically all applications send on the first two channels, but your line out is on 11 and 12.
To be sure, try the following.
Download qjackctl (if its not already done.)
Reboot, just to be sure too start clean.
Open hdspmixer to initialize, then open qjackctl and choose the rme in interface. Cick on start. Hopefully the jackserver will start.
If yes, open a jack-capable audioplayer (m / sm-player, audacious, ...) Be sure to choose jack as output-device.
Connect (by clicking connections in qjackctl) the two outs of the player on the left side with the last to outs 11/12 or 15/16 ?

Yeah, with that jack and audacious it works, I get nice sound big_smile
With this connections it works: https://mega.co.nz/#!gwsAzDzA!xDqq4ImQL … HipSUfMq-k
How can I set up the whole system going through jack, like youtube vids or some system startup jingle?
The hdsp or jack are not showing up in the output devices section.
I just figured out, these "capture_##" under audacious-jack are some inputs. Capture_11 is my XLR microfone.
I connected it to playback_11 and playback_12.
Thanks dude for this big step forward big_smile

Niiice ,It works now. I installed cadence, and routed some things with catia.

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio. … ulseOnJack
Running PulseAudio on top of JACK

If you intend to use consumer applications like Flash or media players in your JACK setup, one possible solution is to use PulseAudio as an intermediate layer for all these non-JACKified programs. Basically, it boils down to the following:

Redirect all ALSA output to PulseAudio
    Redirect PulseAudio to JACK

A: with JACK2 and jackdbus
Install Cadence

remove QJackQtl if you use that and install Cadence from the KXStudio repositories. From within Cadence you can enable the ALSA and PulseAudio bridges with the GUI. Done.
B: with JACK1

Warning 1: If you follow this setup there is no control with QJackCtl. Any settings there will have no effect. You will have to make changes to the configuration with jack_control. jack_control has no man page, try jack_control --help.

Warning 2: After the computer's wake from suspend you will have to restart PulseAudio and possibly the application using it. (If it is a browser plugin using the audio (flash), reloading the page should suffice. If it is html5 audio you will have to restart the browser) However, be aware that doing so might freeze programs connecting to Jack directly.

Thank you very much for your help big_smile
I wanted to give you a rep+ on this forum, but it seems not to have such funcionality.
Thread can be marked as Solved.

Greetings

Glad you got sorted it out;-)
It still should work with alsa though.