1,201 (edited by dhatt 2023-06-15 08:59:30)

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

I am one step from selling my Babyface Pro FS.

Are you going to fix Apple Silicon drivers or not?

Been waiting a progress for 2 years already. I think no point to wait more, right?

dhatt wrote:

I am one step from selling my Babyface Pro FS and never buy RME again.

Been waiting a progress for 2 years already. I think no point to wait more, right?

What exactly has to be fixed in your opinion? My Babyface pro works absolutely fine on a M1 Mac using driver v4.08 as well as using kext driver v3.28 before.
Btw isn’t it great to have drivers for 15 year old firewire devices on current Silicon Mac models? So also my FF400 still works fine. Thank you RME for this long time support!

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

dhatt wrote:

I understand your frustration. It sucks big time when things don’t work right. That said, I used my BFPFS on an M2 laptop and it worked flawlessly. It was just to take acoustic measurements of a room and not full-on daily use but I thought I’d throw my experience in here.

dhatt wrote:

If this were a matter of a simple driver "fix", would you say it's safe to assume we would have done so by now?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
dhatt wrote:

If this were a matter of a simple driver "fix", would you say it's safe to assume we would have done so by now?

Not sure what you mean. I've have this drivers installed - https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35957

And still have sound glitches and stuttering. And I don't want to try/use any previous kext drivers. And no new drivers were released from last September. September!!!

1,206 (edited by Hexspa 2023-06-14 23:04:29)

dhatt wrote:
RME Support wrote:
dhatt wrote:

Not sure what you mean. I've have this drivers installed - https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35957

And still have sound glitches and stuttering. And I don't want to try/use any previous kext drivers. And no new drivers were released from last September. September!!!

There's a DriverKit driver 4.08 (2) on the downloads page:

https://www.rme-audio.de/babyface-pro-fs.html

https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_u … c_4082.zip

dated 2023-05-12. I'm not a mac expert so idk if this helps.

dhatt wrote:
RME Support wrote:
dhatt wrote:

Not true, driver v4.08 (2) dates from 2023-05-12! Would be good to inform yourself first before blaming the company.

1,208 (edited by dhatt 2023-06-15 09:01:33)

oli77sch wrote:
dhatt wrote:
RME Support wrote:

Not true, driver v4.08 (2) dates from 2023-05-12! Would be good to inform yourself first before blaming the company.

Well, actually, the only source of those drivers was forum topics! Beta drivers were not published on public page before. I was following forum, and there's no such topic for v4.08, as it was for every other beta drivers.

But you right, I've tried latest drivers, and seems like it's fixed...At least I've got only one glitch so far, usually it was much worse.

Thanks, and sorry I shared frustration. Will keep testing v4.08

UPD: 2 stutters since I've start listening music for last 10 minutes. I guess issue still here, but not so bad as before.

I'm sorry, but I also have to vent my frustration here. My UAD Apollo Twin X died, so I bought a Babyface Pro FS, because I used to have an OG Babyface Pro and the drivers were always rock solid. But I will probably sell this one, since I can't get it to work without the constant stuttering.

I know Mac OS has been a pain in the ass in recent years, but, for comparison, I have never had any issues with latency for the UAD device (also running on Ventura, M1 Mac).

There shouldn't be any stuttering for regular listening to music on Spotify using an external audio interface.

When making music in Ableton, the stuttering starts as soon as the load gets moderately high. It's incredibly frustrating when you are trying to be creative.

I've tried the Kernel Ext drivers as well as the new DriverKit drivers. The new DriverKit driver is, if anything, worse than the Kernel one. I don't know if there is anything I can do except wait for a new version of the drivers to come out...

1,210 (edited by ramses 2023-06-15 11:18:59)

txl879 wrote:

I'm sorry, but I also have to vent my frustration here. My UAD Apollo Twin X died, so I bought a Babyface Pro FS, because I used to have an OG Babyface Pro and the drivers were always rock solid. But I will probably sell this one, since I can't get it to work without the constant stuttering.

I know Mac OS has been a pain in the ass in recent years, but, for comparison, I have never had any issues with latency for the UAD device (also running on Ventura, M1 Mac).

There shouldn't be any stuttering for regular listening to music on Spotify using an external audio interface.

When making music in Ableton, the stuttering starts as soon as the load gets moderately high. It's incredibly frustrating when you are trying to be creative.

I've tried the Kernel Ext drivers as well as the new DriverKit drivers. The new DriverKit driver is, if anything, worse than the Kernel one. I don't know if there is anything I can do except wait for a new version of the drivers to come out...

Sorry, but can it be that you are comparing apples with oranges?

I checked for the UAD Apollo Twin X, this is a thunderbolt interface. Babyface Pro FS is a USB interface.

Weren't the Apple related issues most if not all with USB?

So, it makes IMHO no sense saying "with UAD no problems", because this UAD recording interface uses thunderbolt, not USB like the Babyface Pro.

Or do I have summarized / remembered something wrong?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

1,211 (edited by dhatt 2023-06-15 12:04:49)

ramses wrote:
txl879 wrote:

I checked for the UAD Apollo Twin X, this is a thunderbolt interface. Babyface Pro FS is a USB interface.

So, it makes IMHO no sense saying "with UAD no problems", because this UAD recording interface uses thunderbolt, not USB like the Babyface Pro.

Since when this is USB issue? Isn't it's purely new Apple permissions policy, DriverKit etc? Also, Thunderbolt is basically USB Type-C.

Been listening music few hours, got 3-4 stutters. Need to test it with DAW, but it seems like it's better than before. Before I had stutters, like, every minute. Hopefully it will be improved soon even more.

ramses wrote:
txl879 wrote:

Yeah, fair enough. It is a Thunderbolt device and the Babyface is a USB device. I'm not sure if the stuttering is due to USB.  That doesn't detract from the miserable user experience I have had with the BFPFS, though. I've enabled all permissions, tried out different drivers and still I am getting a stuttering sound approximately every 5 seconds. I don't think I have any options left.

Questiion..the fut usb flash tool installs 205 for babyface pro serial (...)
But i do own a babyface pro fs, which acccording to your read me gets a dirfferent version number, 320...
What shall i make of this? Is there an installation error?
thanks

The readme does not say that. BF Pro FS is 205, as is BF Pro. There is a new hardware version of the FS (the usual change from Spartan 6 to Spartan 7 FPGA) that uses the 320.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The readme does not say that. BF Pro FS is 205, as is BF Pro. There is a new hardware version of the FS (the usual change from Spartan 6 to Spartan 7 FPGA) that uses the 320.

The readme says:
Babyface Pro / Pro FS: 205 / 320
so it's indeed a bit misleading also in my opinion.
The information for other interfaces is much clearer, for example
Fireface 802 Hw Rev. A: USB 20, DSP 9, FW 9, Class Compliant 12
Fireface 802 Hw Rev. E: USB 112, FW 101, CC 101, DSP 9
Fireface 802 FS: USB 221, CC 212, DSP 27

Intel
Ventura
last drivers

Glitch and completely crazy behavior when I choose Babyface as audio output on my mac since this week, maybe last Ventura update? very strange. Sometimes it works, and about 1h seems to be glitchy like a clock problem. What's going on? I bought RME for their stability!!!
I think it's Apple OS, a real nightmare since last years, becoming like windows. For the price, I think about to switch to PC worls...

1,217 (edited by dhatt 2023-06-30 19:41:48)

kennyserane wrote:

Intel
Ventura
last drivers

Glitch and completely crazy behavior when I choose Babyface as audio output on my mac since this week, maybe last Ventura update? very strange. Sometimes it works, and about 1h seems to be glitchy like a clock problem. What's going on? I bought RME for their stability!!!
I think it's Apple OS, a real nightmare since last years, becoming like windows. For the price, I think about to switch to PC worls...

Weird chain of thought, it's much easier to switch audio card, for every normal person lol. It's RME drivers problem, not platform.

1,218 (edited by kennyserane 2023-07-01 22:53:45)

dhatt wrote:
kennyserane wrote:

Intel
Ventura
last drivers

Apple OS, a real nightmare since last years, becoming like windows. For the price, I think about to switch to PC worls...

Weird chain of thought, it's much easier to switch audio card, for every normal person lol. It's RME drivers problem, not platform.

Right, but my thought was more deep about Apple, even if this specific problem is RME, Apple become more and more instable each year, no mention the OS year version, ram soldering etc. YES, You can stay with a previous OS, but Apple forces to update (Logic for ex if you want to use the latest version)

1,219 (edited by dhatt 2023-07-02 12:13:56)

Yeah, but there's no Apple alternative. Unless you can live with Windows. I can't. For development I can live with Linux. But not for multimedia, and regular day usage. And there's plenty of RME alternatives on other hand. Not sure why bother changing whole platform, if you can change audio card / drivers vendor.

1,220 (edited by ramses 2023-07-02 13:36:21)

dhatt wrote:

Yeah, but there's no Apple alternative. Unless you can live with Windows. I can't. For development I can live with Linux. But not for multimedia, and regular day usage. And there's plenty of RME alternatives on other hand. Not sure why bother changing whole platform, if you can change audio card / drivers vendor.

Oh really? Well, I don't know of any other vendor with the quality and flexibility of RME and TotalMix FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
dhatt wrote:

Oh really? Well, I don't know of any other provider with the quality and flexibility of RME and TotalMix FX.

Generally I would speak the same. In own experience I only can compare to gear in lower quality and price range tough (M-A…o). The units I owned years ago had a stunningly good audio quality, but beside that there were several issues I never faced again after switching to RME. For example no updated drivers after approx. five years only. On the other hand my Fireface 400, bought in 2009, easily made the switch from PowerPC to Intel and now to M1 (on Thunderbolt port). Not to speak about the brilliant audio quality which still can compete to newest units today.

Absolutely no reply from RME, it's terrible sad

1,223 (edited by dhatt 2023-07-07 21:47:36)

kennyserane wrote:

Absolutely no reply from RME, it's terrible sad

Let's just thank they not banning all of us, and pretend we don't exist hahahha

Does the Babyface Pro FS with Spartan7 consume less power than the one with Spartan6?

No, it's same same. Most of the power consumption is the analog stuff and AD/DA, not the FPGA.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC, thank you for your answer.
I will continue to use the Babyface Pro FS I have now.

Hello people, am thinking on getting a sp404 but i wanna know if my babyface pro fs has all the ports required to connect the 404. ive watched a couple of videos but it seems like some people "sacrifice" their Analog1/2 output ports which leave them without ports for their monitors. Should i get another interface with more I/O and connect it through ADAT or how can i get the sp404 connected to my babyface without buying another gear and without loosing ports for my monitors. Thanks in advance!

1,228 (edited by waedi 2023-07-21 07:44:41)

The Babyface has two headphone sockets, one of them can connect to the sp404, then the monitor speakers can use the analog XLR ports.

The two headphone sockets share the same signal.

The UCX ll would offer more flexibility, more ports and routings
The SP404 has no adat ports, only analog input.

Cable for the headphone to 404 :
https://www.thomann.de/de/the_sssnake_ypp2010.htm

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

1,229 (edited by christianh 2023-07-25 22:56:29)

Why does I always have problems to uninstall my RME babyface drivers? They're still left in the uninstall programs list. And when I try to uninstall it i get a Error fireface_usb.inf is not found. This happens more than half the time I uninstall RME drivers and it's been like this for years. Why don't the ones writing the drivers fix this bug?

I need the 1.2.22.0 drivers but I can't find them in the RME downloads page.

The bug is in Windows. We use the default Windows installer which can not completely uninstall all entries. That said these are just left text entries that have no meaning other than bothering you while seeing them.

It is possible to remove these list items manually from the registry, but we won't encourage anyone to do that - too risky.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

christianh wrote:

Why does I always have problems to uninstall my RME babyface drivers? They're still left in the uninstall programs list. And when I try to uninstall it i get a Error fireface_usb.inf is not found. This happens more than half the time I uninstall RME drivers and it's been like this for years. Why don't the ones writing the drivers fix this bug?

I need the 1.2.22.0 drivers but I can't find them in the RME downloads page.

If you want to uninstall these remaining contents, you can remove mannually in your Registry Editor on Windows. After unstalling the driver, go to your Registry Editor by typing in "Regedit" in the "Run" dialogue box. Then, navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and delete the "RME" item you find there. That should remove all remnant entries and you can install your old driver files if you still have them.

But, do it with care, as you don't want to remove the wrong entry. I seldom go to the Registry Editor, I just let it be.

Hope this helps!

That is completely wrong. These entries are normal program entries for existing RME software, not drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That is completely wrong. These entries are normal program entries for existing RME software, not drivers.

I see. OK, thanks for letting me know! smile

1,234 (edited by rachunor 2023-07-31 09:56:37)

I am struggling with my Babyface pro can someone help me or direct me to the right thread if this isn't it:
I am trying to hook-up my phone via a Logitech Bluetooth receiver in CC mode to the babyface so I can listen to music on my Studio monitors without my Computer running.
- I have the official powersupply for the Babyface pro
- I am running in CC mode, DIM is not on
- There is signal on channel 3&4 the meter is moving, and I am using 2 cables so that I would get stereo sound
- but No sound is coming out of either my speakers or the headphone out, no matter what I do (tried the volume fader of course)

If I start my PC it will playback perfectly through 3/4 and the bluetooth connection, and if I switch off my PC while playback is going, it will continue without interruption. But if I power off and power on the babyface it will "forget" and there will be no sound.

What am I missing here?

1,235 (edited by waedi 2023-07-31 10:42:47)

What has the Babyface to do ? Forwarding analog audio from analog input to analog output ?
connect your speakers to the bluetooth receiver and you have the music.
Meaning of Babyface in CC-mode is USB connection to an iPad or computer where no driver is installed.

Without USB connection the Babyface is in standalone-mode.
See page 90 in the user manual for routing the inputs to the output :

The input signals can be routed/mixed to the outputs by activating the unit’s Mix mode:
 Use OUT to select the desired output
 Use IN to select the input with the desired signal source
 Push MIX. The input LEDs start to flash.
 Use SELECT to choose between left, right or both input channels  Turn the big knob to set the actual monitoring/routing level
 Continue with all inputs and outputs as you wish

Thank you!! I got it to work with what you wrote down, didn't do anything first, but I unplugged it, plugged it back again and it works now.
You're right about connecting directly, however, I can only connect 1 input at once on my Yamaha HS8 and it's all hooked up with the babyface which I don't want to constantly unplug, and I wanted to avoid having to buy a separate mixer just to choose between inputs.

My new Babyface does not show "FS" in the USB settings?
Hi, i upgraded from the babyface pro to the FS-Version.
I am irritated that it does not show up as a explicit "FS" Version Is this normal or did I miss something?

docdoghouse wrote:

I am irritated that it does not show up as a explicit "FS" Version Is this normal or did I miss something?

It just shows as "Pro" on my end as well, and I'm an FS user. I believe that's what we have. smile

davidlaijiajun wrote:
docdoghouse wrote:

It just shows as "Pro" on my end as well, and I'm an FS user. I believe that's what we have. smile

if your unit has a hardware switch on its bottom side to change the line level and is labelled as FS, all is good…

oli77sch wrote:

if your unit has a hardware switch on its bottom side to change the line level and is labelled as FS, all is good…

Ah, forgot about that. That's a very good way to identify. Thank you!!! smile

I started to get serious problems with my input levels on Analog in 1 and 2..is this a driver issue or dudden not beein used death, and therefore hardware damage? Are ther any new betas around? iv installen 4.082 on an M1 macbook air, running Ventura 13.4

Please be more specific about the nature of the problem...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

1,243 (edited by Yuu 2023-08-25 15:31:43)

The 3.5mm jack on my Babyface Pro FS is bad contact.
I cleaned it but did not improve it.

Now I live in Japan and purchased the product as a private import, so it's difficult to send it back to Germany for repair.

Is there a replacement part available somewhere? Or is there a any better way?

Hi!

I would like to ask a question about Babyface Pro FS.
I measured the Round Trip latency (RTL) with this method: I plugged the headphone output jack cable into the jack input.
With this cable loopback method I created a high gain state on the input, and output channel, for at least 10 seconds.

I would like to ask, that could I damage the input and output, and the AD/DA converters? Has the product some kind of protection for this case?

Thank You for Your Answer!

Your regards,
Levi

No way to damage anything.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

For space limitations I need to mount my Babyface Pro fs to mic stand or a clamp stand to the edge of my desk. Has anyone done this and if so can you recommend a mounting device for the BFP?

Bburch88

My BFPro fs has a thread on the bottom to attach to a standard 5/8" mic stand.  Look at yours again!

124 products

https://www.thomann.de/de/tischstative_und_sockel.html

Yes there is a threaded port but it is smaller than 5/8”, maybe 5/16”. Just curious if anyone else has mounted the BFP and what hardware they used.

I’m mounting the BFP next to an Otari Mtr-12 1/2” 4 track tape machine. I will also link the BFP via adat to my main recording interface UFX ll.