201 (edited by STJ 2016-03-12 11:32:59)

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Unfortunately there is still no answer to my concern.

May i try to ask in a more simple way...

I connect some active Monitor Speakers directly to the Main Outs of BFP.
I turn down the Main Out Volume to -40 db.
Does this affect the Audio Quality due to Bit-Depth reduction?

Greets,
STJ

Yes, but differently than you think. Bit reduction - that's not the point. The music will not sound harsh or lose details or change its sound. But you loose 40 dB of signal to noise ratio. Now just try that - if you can't hear the noise without any signal playing back then this is a nice real world demonstration of why nobody needs more than 60 dB dynamic range for home speaker playback. Otherwise get yourself passive attenuators for the BF outputs so that your mornitors can be driven at around -20 dBFS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

what kind of cables do i need to babyface pro to my studio monitors?
Will my existing "XLR MALE to TRS" will work fine?
Or i need XLR FEMALE to TRS/XLR MALE?

I am confused regarding connections, Read the manual but it didn't specify?

Thanks.

Output jacks are male, you'll need cables with XLR F to whatever connection you have on your monitors (XLR M or TRS).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

205 (edited by STJ 2016-03-18 03:46:16)

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your reply.
Just to verify that I am getting it right:
there is no bit-depth reduction involved when i turn down the BFP main volume to an audible minimum?
That SNR changes is fact, yes.

So if my production habits include monitoring at very different, also very low volume levels, do you recommend
passive attenuators between BFP Main Outs and Speakers or will it be O.K. to connect them directly?

If you usually monitor at levels below -20 dBFS then your monitors are too sensitive and you should use passive attenuators. This will not only retain full SNR, but also prevent dangerous volume levels in case something goes wrong!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

I have the BFP and I love it!
Yesterday I wanted to try the internal FX and was disappointed to hear some kind of distortion that sound like the FX input is getting to much gain.
Anybody else experiencing the same and is it a bug or a feature? wink
Regards

And did you look at the FX input level meter?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, yes the FX Input Meter is ok. Showing not more than -40--30db I think.
It's more like an additional noise in the reverb. Just like there's a snare drum somewhere near.
I looped back the FX Output and recorded it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67811909/fxtest.mp3

What can it be?

Thanks a lot

The file you provided does not match your former description. Are you talking about the 1 second low volume noise at the very end of the recording?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

no, the noise that comes every time the reverb kicks in, it sounds like a snare standing around to me

Then use a different reverb type and play with the parameters High Cut and Smooth.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What is the Optimal  load impedance for the Headphones outputs ( both the low and the high outputs ) ?

There is no 'optimal' load. They take whatever they find. Give an example of what you want to attach and I might be able to give a more detailed answer. Apart from that the manual talks about that too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

215 (edited by magicdac 2016-03-28 16:28:09)

Thank you for your fast answer , I always thought that there was a recommended headphone impedance range in the headphones amplifiers . I have this :

- UE PRO Reference Remastered

Sensitivity: 100 dB @ 1 kHz, 1mW
   Impedance: 35 Ohms@ 1kHz
   Maximum Input : 100 mW

- Fostex TH-900
   Sensitivity:    100dB / mW
   Impedance:    25 ohm
   Maximum Input:    1,800 mW

Thank you

Both headphones work perfectly on both outputs of the Babyface Pro. Technically the small TRS should be preferred as it gives a higher damping factor and therefore less THD, plus less frequency response error with phones below 60 Ohms. But these phones are both not critical, you could even use them at the same time, one at the small, one at the big TRS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

QUESTION - I want to use the audio interface for just myself and my guitar NOTHING ELSE.... why do I need the TotalMix software (I have effects and everything else in my vst host)  ??????

QUESTION - Why is there no 1/4" out??

VmusicV> why do I need the TotalMix software
To control routing, to make proper mix for headphone and monitor

VmusicV> I have effects and everything else in my vst host
Reverbs easier to be set up via TM if singer requires it to feel more comfortably when singing.
You may use it but its not a must.

VmusicV> QUESTION - Why is there no 1/4" out?
You may use the 1/4" headphone out as line out.
Phones 3/4 have 2 output jacks for 2 different types of headphones.
So if you use phones 3/4 as line out and at the same time plug a headphone then the volume impacts both outputs.
If thats not wanted you may need to add a phone preamp or maybe get another interface with more flexibility (UC).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi,
First thanks for the reply.
While I get the "mixer" idea, to make it software rather than hardware in the audio interface device, it does take some CPU, maybe not much some, we'll see how it goes. For live performers using vst hosts with a lot of effects, every bit counts, not to mention just "extra stuff" to install, learn and make work.

While I suppose you could use the headphone as a 1/4" out, it feels a bit like a work around. Most audio interfaces have 1/4" and quite a few have both XLR and 1/4". I saw a post about the two headphone jacks being pretty close together.

A lot of folks seem to be convinced of the quality of the device. I am still wondering if it's worth twice the price of a plane/simple audio interface unit.

Confuzed in Columbus

ramses wrote:

VmusicV> why do I need the TotalMix software
To control routing, to make proper mix for headphone and monitor

VmusicV> I have effects and everything else in my vst host
Reverbs easier to be set up via TM if singer requires it to feel more comfortably when singing.
You may use it but its not a must.

VmusicV> QUESTION - Why is there no 1/4" out?
You may use the 1/4" headphone out as line out.
Phones 3/4 have 2 output jacks for 2 different types of headphones.

So if you use phones 3/4 as line out and at the same time plug a headphone then the volume impacts both outputs.
If thats not wanted you may need to add a phone preamp or maybe get another interface with more flexibility (UC).

VmusicV wrote:

Hi,
First thanks for the reply.
While I get the "mixer" idea, to make it software rather than hardware in the audio interface device, it does take some CPU, maybe not much some, we'll see how it goes. For live performers using vst hosts with a lot of effects, every bit counts, not to mention just "extra stuff" to install, learn and make work.

While I suppose you could use the headphone as a 1/4" out, it feels a bit like a work around. Most audio interfaces have 1/4" and quite a few have both XLR and 1/4". I saw a post about the two headphone jacks being pretty close together.

A lot of folks seem to be convinced of the quality of the device. I am still wondering if it's worth twice the price of a plane/simple audio interface unit.

Confuzed in Columbus

That's what it is, just a feeling...

I used to hate RME stuff, mainly because of the software. I mean, at least TWO pieces of software to run ONE interface? Come on! Get real!

That was when I got to work with an RME interface once in a while. I got utterly confused and resorted to hating. It couldn't be me, could it?

When I got an RME (by accident, really, as I have several other interfaces), I got stubborn and tried to understand the software, as the quality of the hardware was better than anything else I own. Only when I took time to study the software, I started to understand the paradigm.

Now, you'll have to pry the interface from my dying hands. It's all I use for recording and measurement. Nothing comes close. All the rest is gathering dust.

And, yes, the preferences app, the driver and TotalMix use up to 0,5% CPU (on my personal, dual core Mac), even when idling. That too seemed ridiculous in the past. But it doesn't get any higher when using it, so it's never a problem. And yes, when using VSTi's, every percent CPU counts. But I'm certain other parts of your system waste a lot more. And these parts aren't even necessary for audio, but you can't switch them off easily. In my case, it's my Mac talking to the cloud. I don't need, or want the cloud, but it's there. Most Windows users need to disable wireless, fi. Another kind of pita. These are far more annoying than RME's software. Yet we accept it without complaining.

When it comes to stability, I've had NO problems with RME. Admittedly, I've had NO problems with some other manufacturers too. But none come to the set of functions (Digicheck, fi) in that software.

So the balance is very positive in favor of RME.

Do I sound like a real fanboi? Maybe. But I've been in IT for over 30 years and there's simply no other audio hardware/software I would recommend with the same certitude.

And I would like to see "standard" outputs parallel to the headphone outs too. I'm that fanatic. But I haven't been able to find one reason to support my fanatic feeling. And that's supported by numerous measurements I've done. So I'm trying to cure my fanaticism big_smile

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

221 (edited by Be.0 2016-04-06 23:59:48)

VmusicV wrote:

XLR to 1/4" TRS adapters and cables are readily available. I have two of these to plug my Babyface Pro into 1/4" inputs. Admittedly they are a bit bulky but it's not really a big deal. Generally it'd be better to use XLR -> 1/4" TRS adapters or cables on the BFP's main outputs 1-2 rather than the unbalanced stereo headphone jack(s) to plug into 1/4" inputs, which are typically (but not always) balanced.

There simply isn't room in the device for both XLR and 1/4" main outputs. There are already XLR inputs for microphones, so it made sense to use XLR for the main outputs right next to those.

VmusicV wrote:

Once you hear one, you'll get it. The difference is big. While there are audio interfaces half the price of the Babyface Pro that are quite good, they are certainly not as good as the BFP.

222 (edited by encysuante 2016-04-07 01:46:05)

Love my new Babyface Pro so far. Really wish the option for a compressor is included in TotalMix FX though.

223 (edited by Voxel 2016-04-07 16:17:46)

Hello,

Im looking forward to buy babyface pro but I cant find any information of how much power is the babyface providing for 300ohm headphones. In the user guide its only : Max power @ 0.1% THD: 50 mW for 6.3 mm TRS and 70mW for 3,5mm but without any  information about headphone impedance. So, for which headphone impedance this max 50mW stands for ?
Regards

A 300 Ohm headphone will get the max level from the bigger TRS output, +13 dBu. The output power then is around 39 mW.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

225 (edited by Kyle 2016-04-09 12:54:03)

Hi on IPAD PRO in amplitube or BIAIS fx setup we can just choose input 1 or 2 for instruments input.
But my guitar is plugged to input 3 or 4 (line level) of the babyface pro;
I bought the totalmix for iPad but don't know how to "remap" the input 3 or 4 to 1 or 2.
It's hardware input so I imagine we cannot change it ?
I already have ufx and ff400 working with Mac or pc, but never use iPad in CC mode.
I don't have and don't want to buy an adaptor for use with XLR input 1/2 of babyface.

Please support urgently,
Cheers,

Ps:
I use baby pro face with ff400's power so it's not a power problem.

Route the input signal 3/4 to hardware output 1/2 and activate 'Loopback' in the hardware output settings panel. Route the software playback channels 1/2 to any other output to prevent feedback.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello there,

I've recently Purchased the RME BABY FACE PRO.... is there any sort of registration process(involving my RME serial no.) that would entitle me or any other RME babyfacepro buyers some sort of reference for future software/firmware upgrades?

Thanks.

MC wrote:

Route the input signal 3/4 to hardware output 1/2 and activate 'Loopback' in the hardware output settings panel. Route the software playback channels 1/2 to any other output to prevent feedback.

Thanks MC, I will give a try ASAP

Can the headphone jack be assigned to any output channel?

For example
Output 1&2 software route to output 1&2 on the BFP
3&4 to 3&4
5&6 to the headphones

This would allow 6 separate software outputs to analog signals.

Or does the BFP only mirror either of the 4 hardware outputs

@ianhind the BFP has only 4 analog output channels. 1 & 2 are at the back (XLR), 3&4 are L and R of the two headphone outputs.

For more analog outs, you would connect a D/A converter to the ADAT port. Then you can have up to 12 separate software outputs to analog signals.

Max wrote:

For more analog outs, you would connect a D/A converter to the ADAT port. Then you can have up to 12 separate software outputs to analog signals.

Thanks for the quick reply, I must have misread the I/O specs.

I already have a UFX, Octamic II, and ADI-8, the Babyface Pro would just be for FoH work and mobile iPad use.

Lack of outs is really a non-issue, was just curious.

Two questions on the Dim Setting:

1. there seem to be irregularities. Actually, I observed a behaviour like this:

being at level X (e.g. -20), pressing dim subtracts the dim amount (e.g. 20) from the current level (resulting in -40).
Changing the level then (e.g. down to -50) and pressing dim again, adds the dim amount (20) again (to -30).

But now, the BF somewhat returns the level after the second dim press back to where it was before (in my example to -20). No matter what changes it dit to the level when I was in dim mode. This could even lead to the absurd behaviour of reducing the level when disabling dim if I faded the level above where it was before the dimming while being in dim mode (being at -20, enabling dim → -40, fading to -10, pressing dim again to disable → -20).

How did I get there and why? am I erring and pressing dim actually has never been readding the dim-amount instead of returning to the level before dimming?

2. Am I forced to have Totalmix always running in order to use the dim feature? When I quit it, the unit doesn't react to the dim button and stays in the current state hmm

Just attached my XLR cables for the first time on the back of my BFP unit on input 1 & 2. There doesn't seem to be any fastening clips for the XLR cables on the unit so removing them what a bit cumbersome. I suppose this is made intentional so they just doesn't slip out?

christianh wrote:

Just attached my XLR cables for the first time on the back of my BFP unit on input 1 & 2. There doesn't seem to be any fastening clips for the XLR cables on the unit so removing them what a bit cumbersome. I suppose this is made intentional so they just doesn't slip out?

yes, unfortunately.

see https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 22#p111922

235 (edited by knuckle47 2016-04-23 06:13:43)

I'd sat here tonight reading every line written with the intent of  looking at the "X" kinds of uses the BF pro is going thru.  with the many posters of the thread actually putting their babyface pro units through a good maze of tests, how many are finding a need for the additional power supply source for normal operations?

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

236 (edited by christianh 2016-04-24 20:33:17)

Danny_DJ wrote:
christianh wrote:

yes, unfortunately.

see https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 22#p111922

I believe they made that decision because clips it's a mechanical part and can always brake down in the end. Anyway i don't really have a problem with it despite i preferring clips. Another the wheel seems a bit stiffer than the wheel on the original Babyface, should it be that way?

Does anyone know where i can buy the plastic black box the BFP came in if i ever going to loose it?

Do the line inputs 1&2 on the Babyface have different gain structure from the original Babyface?

I ask because when I was using an external pre amp with the Babyface I was using an attenuator on its output. Whereas with the Babyface Pro I need to feed it a hotter signal to get similar levels.

I haven't tried synths yet. But I'm guessing synths will also need more gain now.

238 (edited by miscend 2016-04-28 00:19:13)

knuckle47 wrote:

I'd sat here tonight reading every line written with the intent of  looking at the "X" kinds of uses the BF pro is going thru.  with the many posters of the thread actually putting their babyface pro units through a good maze of tests, how many are finding a need for the additional power supply source for normal operations?

I haven't tested it with phantom power switched on yet. However the old Babyface's USB cable allowed you to connect to two USB ports (or a USB battery pack) for extra power. Can't do that with the new supplied cable.

But for normal day to day operational use there are no power issues. After many hours of use with both speakers and high impedance headphones. It's rock solid.

My Babyface Pro arrived today and my most immediate results are quite impressive.  My MOTU 896hd had been failing for some time apparently.  The mics are performing so much hotter on input and Im hearing things on output that are terrific. I am using phantom power on these mics

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

what does the trim wheel the inputs do when after pressing IN no input LED lights up? is it an empty selection? I cannot recognize any action.

Danny_DJ wrote:

what does the trim wheel the inputs do when after pressing IN no input LED lights up? is it an empty selection? I cannot recognize any action.

Push Select to select the left, right, or both channels after pressing In.

Be.0 wrote:
Danny_DJ wrote:

Push Select to select the left, right, or both channels after pressing In.

I know, but pressing SELECT cycles through 4 states: left, right, both and nothing. but the "nothing" selection isn't documented.

It is documented as level meter display.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

244 (edited by dekantierer 2016-05-03 22:40:31)

thank you for your support-work Matthias!

I love my babyface one - it is getting old and I think about updating.
I have a few concerns though:

1. I loved the old main volume potentiometer - used it some years everyday - works still! Nice & heavy like a tank.
The new black one looks a bit cheap (I think you addressed that on the case - "it's just the look"?).
Actual question: Is the main volume pot. same quality as old? Is it solid aluminium? Why black? The dent is harder to see with matte black.
Also there is this strange issue of dissembled volume pot. in a non-damaged box in this thread, which wasn't answered?
And there are couple of users (mac & windows) with a serious bug with the "wheel" https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=22586
weren't answered properly. I mean ok, "send it back to dealer & get a new one", but that doesn't scream "rme quality" & inserts paranoia in the daily work.

2. I got also the "monitors too sensitive" issue. Adam A7x - a homestudio standard. I put volume of the speakers as close to infinity as possible.
It is not dented and hard to set equal on both speakers + still too loud - fader value -9.5 gets me around -20db
When the studio is quiet I hear the noise without signal going through.
It is my problem indeed not RME's, but a passive attenuator is not so easy to buy, really! The cheap ones around 100-200€ many users report problems and bad quality; the expensive ones include more then the pot starting being a interface themselves & cost way too much for this simple function.
Maybe RME can make a high quality passive atten. for 50-100€? Shouldn't be too hard. ;-) I think there might be a real niche.
[You know I don't buy top notch speakers & interface to put it all through a shitty passive attenuator....]

3. On my old baby the color of the "select" & "recall" words started to fade - can I expect the same with the new baby?

4. Not real issue, but a little strange: You stress the new, sturdy aluminium case - but the old one couldn't be any sturdier!?
I don't know which kind of metal the old one is (also aluminium?), but it could do a stunt-double in a Terminator movie.

All the improvements are great. I love it. My post deals only with my superficial "personal problems" with the new Baby.
Would be happy about an answer from you.

dekantierer wrote:

but a passive attenuator is not so easy to buy, really! The cheap ones around 100-200€ many users report problems and bad quality; the expensive ones include more then the pot starting being a interface themselves & cost way too much for this simple function.

While the well-made Shure attenuators are a bit expensive, there are simple and equally good in-line attenuators such as from HOSA, switchable 20/30/40dB. Purely passive, balanced, not much to go wrong - a resistor is a resistor, especially with no DC flowing through it. Should be no more than EUR20 each.

I also use a variable attenuator nanoPad, bit more expensive, has the advantage of having a mute switch as well.

Hope this helps.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Hi all,

I'm a new owner of the Babyface Pro and I several questions about the instruments inputs.

My guitarist plays with a guitare which has an passive Seymour Duncan SH-8 pickups. This gear has an high level output. When I plug this guitare directly in the instrument input and with the babyface's gain knob to 0, there is already an high level in the totalmix. I try with the +4 db and the -10 dbv, but it's the same.

So, what is the best?  Decrease greatly the guitar's volume knob and then increase the gain? Decrease the guitar's volume knob until I have the level I wish without increase the gain? Or buy a direct box?

Thanks.

Hi!

I wish to point out some bugs/places for improvements with the Babyface Pro / Totalmix & Fireface USB settings software. I’m running OSX 10.9.5 on a MBP mid-2009. Driver 2.17_2. Please address these.

• If using the macbook’s volume buttons, the 4th bar is totally mute when descending in volume (coming from the 5th bar). This also happens when using the wheel on the Babyface Pro when coming down in volume (in Totalmix the Main fader/meter goes down to -infinity, but if I turn the volume down more the music comes back while the meter still shows infinity. So basically, there is a discontinuity in the volume at the low-end. The total mix Main meter goes down to infinity before the actual volume, since after that particular point it’s possible to listen to the music more quiet yet. Otherwise the volume buttons, wheel and software fader work normally.

• Totalmix and Fireface USB settings applications should be hidden in the menu bar instead of being in the dock and taking up space from it and the tab menu.

• Totalmix and Fireface USB Settings should be consolidated in to one application (that resides in the menu bar, as above). I rarely need Totalmix when listening to music, and the USB settings I need even less frequently. (I do also make music.)

• Sometimes the USB settings application window remains open when I turn on the computer with the Babyface Pro connected or also when I connect the Babyface Pro to the computer while it’s already on.

I do really like the Babyface Pro otherwise, it feels very solid in performance and build quality. I just wish these few shortcomings would be addressed for it to be perfect. I have talked about this with friends who also find the software annoying (separate apps in the dock). I know this has been requested before so I'm not the only one asking for this. It really is a pain, so please do act on this.

Thanks!
-Lukas

Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with the babyface pro and or the total mix software. When I have a musical track in any daw (protools, ableton, or fruityloops) and it is limited to exactly 0db no clip, the babyface pro clips and it also clips in the total mix software even though the output faders are at 0. My other interfaces show the 0db as exactly 0db without clipping as well as the old baby face but the new pro keeps showing the led's clipping with the output fader set to 0. Is anyone else having this issue? could this be a unit defect? Any and all help is appreciated.

Hi,
I just bought a new Babyface Pro.
For some reason I cant hear from any output but the headphones output.
Iv'e tried to put every channel to the max level, I even see the signals and all but I just cant hear anything on my monitors.
Please help me!

Go through these and then you get it

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13