1 (edited by malcolm_brown 2015-06-04 19:42:15)

Topic: HDSPe AIO installation fail

I have just purchased a new HDSPe AIO for a new HP computer who's operating system is Windows 8.1. Following the instructions supplied with the sound card I fitted the card to a PCIe port and started the computer. The card was not found by Windows and did not appear in the Device Manager. I then tried the other spare PCIe port with the same negative result.

I have gone through the process of running the "Add device" system within Windows but with no success and I have also run the Troubleshooter process within Windows again with no success. As far as Windows is concerned, the card does not exist on the system.

Unfortunately my old computer does not have a PCIe port so I have no way of checking to see if another computer might recognise the card. Clearly my suspicion is that either the card is faulty or both of the PCIe ports are faulty. I suspect the former. Is there any way I can check either the card or the Ports?

Re: HDSPe AIO installation fail

Did you try a warm boot after the first cold boot?

Sometimes the BIOS disables PCIe cards due to energy saving. Try to disable PCIe power saving in the BIOS if available.

Also you seem to have not installed the latest driver (due to outdated instructions) from our website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC - very many thanks for response.

I tried both cold and warm boot but no success.

I have checked the computer BIOS and spoken to HP (the computer supplier) and confirmed that there is no facility to disable the PCIe buses for power saving.

I have download and installed the latest drivers from RME.

Not really sure what to do next. Surely the computer ought to at least recognise that something has been added to the PCIe bus even if there is a fault on the card?

Please check and if necessary, update the card's firmware to the latest version on another computer.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel - As I mentioned above, unfortunately I do not have another computer with a PCIe bus nor do I know of anyone who does. And as my new computer refuses to accept that the card is even fitted, I have no idea of how to check what firmware version it is. I have fitted many sound cards to other computers with ease but I have now spent three days trying to get this one to work. I even had a Hewlett Packard technician today trying for two hours to work out what was wrong without success. Surely there must be a simple solution to this.

If, as you say, there is no way to disable the PCIe power saving by way of BIOS settings, the only other way to signal to the system that this is to be avoided is by way of installing the latest firmware on to the card, which does just that.

If you were to find out that the card is already on the latest firmware, the issue would be something else, though.

In either case, it would be good to know whether the card is up to date. Perhaps there is a computer hardware store or some such place that would let you do this? I'm afraid I see no other simple alternative. The lack of a suitable BIOS option is rather unusual, but not something we can provide a workaround for without involving a second PCIe equipped computer, sorry.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel - I spoke to the HP technician yesterday when she was trying to solve the problem and she told me that HP had discontinued the BIOS PCIe power saving facility for their Windows 8 computers.

After a lot of searching (Windows 8.1 is new to me), I found a facility in Device Manager to force the computer to try and accept the sound card. Of course the whole system then crashed! It would appear that the system then created a lengthy error report which it sent to Microsoft but I am unable to find it on the computer - not that I am likely to understand it anyway! Oh well. Time to move on - we composers have to earn a living and I have given far too much time already to this issue. I will put the card back in its box and perhaps come back to it another day. My thanks to MC and Daniel for your advice and help.

Best Regards
Malcolm

malcolm_brown wrote:

Daniel - I spoke to the HP technician yesterday when she was trying to solve the problem and she told me that HP had discontinued the BIOS PCIe power saving facility for their Windows 8 computers.

This is obviously an HP issue then... One thing you could try is to choose a full performance energy profile in the Control Panel (specifically disabling the PCIe power saving in the advanced options there, if needed), but I can't guarantee this will help if the card does not get initialized correctly at bootup due to BIOS issues.

After a lot of searching (Windows 8.1 is new to me), I found a facility in Device Manager to force the computer to try and accept the sound card. Of course the whole system then crashed!

Seems normal... What "facility" is that exactly?

It would appear that the system then created a lengthy error report which it sent to Microsoft but I am unable to find it on the computer - not that I am likely to understand it anyway! Oh well. Time to move on - we composers have to earn a living and I have given far too much time already to this issue. I will put the card back in its box and perhaps come back to it another day. My thanks to MC and Daniel for your advice and help.

I am surprised that it is so difficult to find a PC with a PCIe slot somewhere nearby...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel - In the Device Manager, the "Action" menu usually has just one option - Help. But when I highlighted the "Sounds, video and game controller" section, additional options appeared in the Action Menu, one of which was "Scan for Hardware Changes". Having just checked, this is the same on my old Windows XP system. But on the new computer, what happened was that a narrative started to add a device. Clearly the system did appear to recognise that something new had been added. One of the options was RME and then I was able to select the right RME card. I then clicked "next" and it all went wrong! The uptodate drivers are on my system so it should have been able to find them.

Without going into too much detail, I live on quite a small island and the majority of people I know are like me, retired. While I will not say that technology has passed us by, few of my friends have a mobile phone (and neither do I!). Sending an email is a major triumph for many and I am considered to be one of the more computer-literate! Asking any of them to let me open their computer and mess around with it would be greeted with horror!

OK, there are computer 'consultants' on my Isle and I could go to one of them for help. But why should I go to that cost? I bought what is for me a very expensive item. Surely I have a right to expect it to work without having to delve into the complexities of computer hardware and software or to pay other people to fix it for me. I have carefully followed the instructions in the manual. I have even involved HP in trying to solve this problem. Why should I do more?

Malcolm,

malcolm_brown wrote:

Daniel - In the Device Manager, the "Action" menu usually has just one option - Help. But when I highlighted the "Sounds, video and game controller" section, additional options appeared in the Action Menu, one of which was "Scan for Hardware Changes". Having just checked, this is the same on my old Windows XP system. But on the new computer, what happened was that a narrative started to add a device. Clearly the system did appear to recognise that something new had been added. One of the options was RME and then I was able to select the right RME card. I then clicked "next" and it all went wrong! The uptodate drivers are on my system so it should have been able to find them.

Yes, but this is not about "finding drivers", we are talking about hardware matters here.

Without going into too much detail, I live on quite a small island and the majority of people I know are like me, retired. While I will not say that technology has passed us by, few of my friends have a mobile phone (and neither do I!). Sending an email is a major triumph for many and I am considered to be one of the more computer-literate! Asking any of them to let me open their computer and mess around with it would be greeted with horror!

Interesting, and understood... :-)

OK, there are computer 'consultants' on my Isle and I could go to one of them for help. But why should I go to that cost? I bought what is for me a very expensive item. Surely I have a right to expect it to work without having to delve into the complexities of computer hardware and software or to pay other people to fix it for me. I have carefully followed the instructions in the manual. I have even involved HP in trying to solve this problem. Why should I do more?

I understand your expectations, but you are applying them to the wrong side of the equation, in my opinion. Indeed HP would be the ones to talk to. This is likely not about whether the card "works" or not, it is about whether it has got a suitable working environment, which is not the case, as a result of the PCIe power saving and the inability to disable it (do try the Windows power scheme thing, though). As it were, the card could take care of that by way of the latest firmware, which should make the computer avoid the power saving, but it was apparently delivered to you with an older firmware version on it. If you recently purchased it new, you could return it to the retailer and ask them to update it for you.

All this is based on assumptions to a degree, admittedly, as there seems to be no way to check the current firmware status of the card in this situation. Therefore, I can't totally rule out the possibility of other causes, i.e. a defective card or computer in a worst-case-scenario. From what I gather, my theory (older card firmware vs. PCIe power saving) seems most likely to me, though.

If there are such consultants locally, that's a good start. Perhaps you could ask what they'd charge you, if any, for a quick installation and firmware update of a PCIe card. That will be faster than sending the card back to the retailer, who I would suspect does not reside on said island... And it would incur shipping expense.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel - You are right about shipping. I am in the UK (or rather "off the coast of England"!) and I bought the card as new from a reputable supplier in Germany via the internet.  I take all your points and am grateful for your advice. I will continue to puzzle away at the various issues raised by the failed installation and certainly have not completely given up hope - as I am sure you are well aware, on-board sound systems supplied with computers tend to lack the capability to cope with a full Symphony Orchestral in a DAW - so I do need the card!

If I do manage to solve the issue, I will of course report back. Perhaps someone else may be grateful for the information. Until then, I think we can close this thread. Again my thanks.

Best Regards
Malcolm

Assuming the "reputable supplier in Germany" is one of the larger outlets, my theory of the card having been sold with a somewhat outdated firmware does develop a crack or two. And coming to think of it, if you send me the card's serial numeber (8 digits beginning with 2), I should be able to determine what firmware version it was delivered with - on Monday...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

13 (edited by malcolm_brown 2015-06-07 13:02:55)

Daniel - there are three eight digit numbers on the card itself:

a. On the top of the card (where all the electronics are), next to "HDSPe AIO Made in Germany Rev. 1.4" is a bar code. Under the bar code is 23695933 (this number and bar code are also on the end of the white box that the card was contained in).

b. On the reverse of the card, next to a sticker that says "Quality Inspected Warranty Seal" is a 'square' bar code on another sticker with the number 25488484.

c. Again on the top of the card, on a 'square' bar code sticker, the number 25488283.

(Sorry, yet another edit!) Looking at the card, where it plugs into the PCIe socket on the computer, it is in two sections. On the back of the card, all the gold strips in both sections are the same length. But on the front of the card, one section has 11 gold strips all the same length. The other section of 7 gold strips has one strip shorter than the others. Is this normal?

Many thanks.

Until Monday!

Best Regards
Malcolm

According to the factory, the card is on the latest firmware already. Unless something is defective, the issue is likely to be with the HP here...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel - Very many thanks. That does narrow the issue down. I will have to see if I can pick up a cheap PCIe card locally and check out the two PCIe buses and then go back to HP and see what they can do.

Again my thanks for all your help.

Best Regards
Malcolm

Daniel - just for information, I had another lengthy session with HP online support yesterday afternoon and their conclusion was that the RME HDSPe AIO was "incompatible" with the HP Envy Phoenix 810 motherboard (Kaili 2). I am surprised and to be honest, not really convinced.

Best Regards
Malcolm

Malcolm,

we could easily turn this around and declare the HP machine to be incompatible, as it is apparently unable to provide the card with a working environment... Other than the system's inability to disable PCIe power saving, and the possibility that it will even ignore the card's firmware signalling that no such thing is to be applied, I see no obvious reason for an "incompatibility", not considering defective hardware.

Have you tried all available PCIe slots?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

If the Mobo has a free PCIe X16 (or 4X or 8X) slot you can even try that one.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Daniel - very much agree with you about the "incompatibility" suggestion by HP. I am astonished that a modern motherboard refuses to talk to a modern high-quality sound card. I am not letting that question rest and will be taking it up with HP again.

The computer only has two free slots, both of which are PCIe x1 and I have tried both. No success.

I am waiting for a phone call from "HP Sales" who I am told by the HP technician will talk to me about which sound cards are compatible with the motherboard (no doubt a list of 'gaming' cards which are totally unsuitable for my needs). If the AIO card is really incompatible, it does make me wonder what other cards are also in that category and exactly why the motherboard cannot work with them. If there is any interesting feedback from the Sales people, I will let you know.