1 (edited by BOWIE 2015-07-11 23:53:24)

Topic: How to mute/avoid TotalMix?

With previous interfaces I've used, I have just interacted with the DAW and it does everything I need.  Since buying my UFX I've avoided using it altogether because I keep running into unexpected problems (feedback, phasing, panning issues, etc).  I want to be able to just interact with the DAW mixer and minimize the involvement of TotalMix.  What is the best way to go about this?
Thanks!

Re: How to mute/avoid TotalMix?

1. Perform Total Reset in TotalMix FX (Options, Reset Mix)

2. Remove the 'All Playback Monitoring' manually by clicking on Main, then pulling all faders down in the Playback row except the one equalling the Mains assignment (most probably channel 1/2)

3. Back to Options, Reset Mix - click on 'Set inputs mono / outputs stereo (ADM))

That's it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

1. Perform Total Reset in TotalMix FX (Options, Reset Mix)

2. Remove the 'All Playback Monitoring' manually by clicking on Main, then pulling all faders down in the Playback row except the one equalling the Mains assignment (most probably channel 1/2)

3. Back to Options, Reset Mix - click on 'Set inputs mono / outputs stereo (ADM))

That's it.

I have another question but first I wanted to say thanks a million for the help!  I'm finally up and running with this comp.
Now, I don't see how to implement the 3rd step; "Set inputs mono / outputs stereo (ADM))".  Maybe it's because I'm running the TotalMix I downloaded a year ago.  Is there another name for this option or should I just manually set out the way you described?

Also, I mostly use analog hardware for mixing, does that affect anything?

Thanks again!!!!!

Of course we expect our customers to use the very latest firmware and driver...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Of course we expect our customers to use the very latest firmware and driver...

I updated my driver and now TotalMix FX won't open.  I can see the TMFX in the toolbar but clicking it does nothing.  What now?

Please update the UFX firmware as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Please update the UFX firmware as well.

Great, thanks!  This is why I went with RME and have recommended them to many of my friends and clients.  It's so good to have personalized responses and not just links to FAQs that may or may not be relevant.

I am a bit confused.  How can i mute the mic in say on input 9 if i have main out going to headphones 9/10
I hit mute on that input channel or the mute all at top right but only pulling down the fader has any effect. what am i missing here. I often times want to just mute all inputs when playing back in my daw.

cjadams.work@gmail.com wrote:

I am a bit confused.  How can i mute the mic in say on input 9 if i have main out going to headphones 9/10
I hit mute on that input channel or the mute all at top right but only pulling down the fader has any effect. what am i missing here. I often times want to just mute all inputs when playing back in my daw.

Maybe 1st have a look how TM works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCH3qVaLL-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O5i3s29Id4

Be aware of, that its not a Mixer like you know it maybe from Life mixer. The handbook explains this nicely, you should read it.

In regars to your question. Be sure that you use the "submix" routing mode (upper right).
Assign Main Out to "Ph9/10", you will see then your Phones output as "Main" in the control room section.
I would save this in TM as Snaphot "phone1".
Assumed you have already another snapshot for your "Speakers" as Monitors you can flip now between those 2 snapshots to listen by your Main Speakers or your Phones ...

And then its always the same in terms of handling in the submix mode.
Click to an output and then mute/unmute your Hardware Inputs and Software PLayback channels as required and set the volume to a proper level, like you want.

So in this case click to the Monitor output in the control room section (lower right) and simply mute the mic ...

You need to learn this principle, that for each of the HW outputs you mute/unmute Inputs and Playbacks individually.
So you click simply on an output and see then directly from where the input comes ....
Its really easy once you "digest" this priciple of operation.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13