Topic: Question: Re-amping & Monitoring

Hi All,

I've got an HDSP9632 and I've been experimenting with re-amping. It works great smile ...except I can't figure out how to set up monitoring in TotalMix neutral

How can I monitor the re-amped signal - rather than the original recording - during tracking?

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, but I've read the manual and searched the forum and I still can't figure it out. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I use Windows, if that makes a difference. I generally record into Reaper but I occasionally use other things, too (Wavosaur, Audacity, Ocenaudio...)

Re: Question: Re-amping & Monitoring

Probably easier than you may think. Turn down the DI guitar in your monitor path and turn up the inputs, the mic'd signal.

Hi marQs, and thanks for replying smile

marQs wrote:

Turn down the DI guitar in your monitor path and turn up the inputs, the mic'd signal.

Do you mean in TotalMix?

At the moment all the faders in the top row (Input) are at -inf, all the faders in the middle row (Playback) are at -inf except AN1+2 (which is playing back the original recording from my DAW), and all the faders in the bottom row (Output) are at unity. "Monitor Phones" is set to "AN1+2".

If I turn down any of the faders that are up (i.e. the Playback or Output faders for AN1+2) then I can't hear the original recording - which is good! - but I also can't hear the re-amped sound, because playback isn't passed to the output, so there's nothing to re-amp neutral

If I turn up the Input or Playback faders for SPDIF (which is recording the re-amped signal) it makes no difference. If I set "Monitor Phones" to "SPDIF" I lose the re-amped signal again (the original recording is playing back, but it doesn't get passed to output) and turning up the SPDIF Input fader produces a feedback loop.

(I hope that makes sense!)

Sounds a little confused. TotalMix can be confusing indeed but that's just because any routing desire is possible with it ;-)

Let me outline a scenario with just the used channels, maybe things become more clear then:

1. be sure to have submix mode in total mix enabled (TM, top right)
2. let's say your monitors are connected to AN 1/2
3. click AN 1/2 in the bottom/output row (highlighted) - now TM reflects what is send to AN 1/2 (= what you hear from your monitors)
4. let's say your DAW plays back on AN 1/2, so in the middle row (playback) this has got to be turned up to be heard
5. let's say you send your DI guitar for reamping to AN 3 (from DAW) and you want to send it from AN 3 (output) to your amp, so...
6. highlight output pair AN 3/4 (output) and turn up only AN 3 (playback), pan it hard left - now your reamper/amp should receive that signal
7. go back and highlight AN 1/2 in the outputs, make sure AN 3 (playback) isn't turned up but...
8. turn up your mic channels in the top (input) row now and you should hear the playback as well as the live mic input

Sorry if that sounds very complicated again. It isn't ;-) Look at TotalMix as an ultraflexible mixer that let's you hear what you turn up in the highlighted channels. Plus it passes signal through all the channels you might not see at the moment (until you highlight them). Matrix view shows more at a glance.

Good luck ;-)

Hi marQs, and thanks again smile

marQs wrote:

Sorry if that sounds very complicated

Actually, what you're describing makes perfect sense...thank you!

The only problem is:

marQs wrote:

5. let's say you send your DI guitar for reamping to AN 3 (from DAW) and you want to send it from AN 3 (output) to your amp

The only outputs I have are Line Out L (XLR), Line Out R (XLR), SPDIF, AES-EBU (XLR) and headphones (1/4" jack); there is no AN3 neutral

Oh, too bad. In this case you could use the phones for reamping or L or R (which leaves mono monitoring at least). Not too comfortable but should do. If you need such a configuration frequently expand the HDSP9632 with RMEs AI4S-192 AIO/AO4S-192 AIO expansion boards or an ADAT device that gives you more inputs and outputs (some of them just provide inputs which isn't much help then...).

Fair enough. In the short term I'll experiment with using the headphone out or the main outs; I can cope with mono monitoring for a while smile

Thanks for the tip about the expansion boards, though. I've just had a look on thomann and the AO14-192 is 160 euro, which seems very reasonable to me; something to consider in the longer term, I think...

Thanks again and all the best,

gaffer