1 (edited by all 2015-09-16 11:45:44)

Topic: durec / ufx as a standalone player

hi !

i'm about to make a "public listening" time. aka playing audio files in front of a little audience.

using usb stick (the perfect sandisk 64 MC's stick) and my beloved ufx.

1/ one should know : my bounced protools files won't be played straight ahead when copied in the usbstick. i had to save it, in the RME multichannel processor soft, as MULTI channel (my files are regular 24/48 stereo files).

2/ but at the very end of the files, one can hear a quite annoying CLIK. it's not in the files. i will add silence to bring the volume down before the clik, but, u know....

cheers all

Re: durec / ufx as a standalone player

Did you check that at the end of the files there is no DC? When additional 'silence' helps then there most probably is.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I posted about this years ago also.. its sad it doesnt work properly, you have to sit there and edit the end of every file so it has zero crossing point, for multichannel files that would be a major pain.. this problem really tarnishes DURec as a PA playback device unless you have the time to sit there beforehand and edit every file you want to playback.

I'm afraid I don't quite see how this is an issue of the UFX, if it's DC in the original files.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by all 2015-09-17 19:44:00)

i can't understant it. never seen this. there was no click in my files, but still, i've done a master fade in PT=> still cliking in ufx. then made another fade out at the end of the RME multichannel processed files (with an external editor)=> still cliking in ufx...

and btw, files recorded directly in durec, do not click at the end !

Can you upload an example file somewhere so we can check?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

RME Support wrote:

I'm afraid I don't quite see how this is an issue of the UFX, if it's DC in the original files.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

what if someone has some music files on a USB stick and they want to play them back at a gig through a loud PA ? if you have 100 files are you supposed to sit there and make sure every file has zero crossing and proper fade out so the UFX doesn't make a large click sound ?  You can buy a $50 media player that wont produce click sounds at the end of WAV playback and yet the UFX cant do the simple job like a $50 media player ?

If you take average music files off the net and playback on UFX in my experience everything produces a click. When I first got the UFX I rendered a bunch of backing track sequences out of my DAW and all of them would produce this click sound.. In the end I had to manually sit there with 40 files and digitally edit the end of each one... at first a fade out wasn't enough until I ended up putting 5 seconds of rendered silence at the end after the fade out and the UFX finally stopped making the click sound. this turned into hours of editing just to playback the files without a click.

AFAIR there was a bug long ago that caused clicks which had been fixed with a firmware update - also long ago. I expect the OP to use a more current firmware so we have to wait for his files to check what is going on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I can confirm this click with the latest firmware 1.61. I can provide the multichannel file that produces the click, separate 1 or 2 channels wavs were exported from Logic and  the multichannel wav was compiled in Audacity. The last samples should definitely have 0 values as is seen in Audacity.

Hopefully a final end to these problems:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … 63_win.zip
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … 63_mac.zip

V 357/163/344/CC28: Improved DURec playback (clicks on file end, correct start of playback). Performance optimized at 192 kHz (DURec playback and reverb).

Please try and report back.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME