1 (edited by MoonWinters 2015-10-17 13:55:25)

Topic: Newbie: Using above 48khz/32bit float

I was wondering whether anyone can help me with a quandery ! I am not asking peoples advice on whether I should do this or not I am simply asking how, so please don't comment if its the first. (not sure why, but I seem to get shouted at when i ask this question :-/)

Anyway, I am currently using the RME Babyface soundcard alongside Cubase 5 on a 32bit PC computer. I am in the process of saving up for a Mac Mini at 64 bit. But temporarily I am trying to get the best sound I can on my laptop. The issue is, Cubase will not allow me to go any higher than 48khz sample rate and 32bit (float) record format.. which really is 24bit I believe ..... The soundcard goes up to 192khz

Am I right in thinking its because my computer is a 32bit system and not a 64 bit system ? I have had a few people say that the bit rate of my computer/operating system has nothing to do with it. But logically this is the only thing that could be stopping me changing the settings ?? am I right or wrong ? If I am wrong ... how can I get a higher bit rate in cubase 5 ? ( i have tried project properties > sample rate > record format - the drop down menu doesn't give me any higher options other than 44/48khz and 16/24/32bit float)

The reason why I would like it to be higher is in my opinion the sound is significantly clearer, crisper when on a higher rate and dithers down audio in better quality than in regular 24bit / 44 khz.

any advice welcome, thank you :-)

Re: Newbie: Using above 48khz/32bit float

There is no heigher resolution than 24 bit (or 32 float), and no use for it, either. It certainly will not sound better. If at all, you could discuss differences in audio quality between 44 and 192 k, but not between 24 and a hypothetical 64 bit resolution....
And this has nothing to do with the operating system.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks. That Information is handy to know but it's not what I asked.

If the soundcard goes to 192khz why doesn't it show in the drop down menu in Cubase.... why does it only offer up to 48khz.... is it because my system is 32bit not 64 bit.... I don't understand why I can't access those above 48khz (irrelevant wether the sound is different or not or wether the cpu can handle it)

If you want to check the Babyface use DIGICheck with ASIO inputs to check that you can easily change the sample rate. Driver version and firmware of the BF plus setup (clocked to an external yource?) are needed to provide further assistance.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME