1 (edited by djrem3000 2015-10-22 07:04:10)

Topic: TM FX: notification area icon clickin when TM is not focused closes it

Using TotalMix FX v1.12, Windows 7
Have noticed an uncomfortable TotalMix FX behavior: if you run TotalMix FX and some another program (maximized) at the same time (as an example - Firefox browser), while the focus is put on the Firefox (maximized) - the TotalMix FX is running behind the Firefox window (try not to minimize TM by clicking the minimize button, but just run it and then bring the focus to the Firefox  by clicking the Firefox and maximize it), then you decide to change some volume and bring the Total FX to the front - you click on the systray TM icon to bring the TotalMix FX on the front - but it is closing, so to bring the focus back you should click the systray icon one more time smile so totally - 2 times clicking.
It should behave like all other Windows applications with systray area icons - no matter whether they are behind another app window and not focused or even not running - once clicking the systray area icon will always bring them to the front.
Please do not suggest to use the "Always on the top", as it has slightly another behavior and purpose smile
So at some certain time, while you decide to change the volume, you should not think whether the the TM is running behind or is closed (but the icon is showed), as a results - sometimes 1 click is needed, and sometimes 2 clicks, this is quite annoying.
If you are unable to reproduce this, i could record the video what i mean.

UPD: Just recorded the video, which describes the annoying (IMO) behavior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ura5GkSijH0

Re: TM FX: notification area icon clickin when TM is not focused closes it

Clicking on the normal TM FX window entry in the taskbar will bring it to the foreground. But it seems you clicked on the symbol in the notification area - then it will be minimized. That is intended behavior and will not change.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by djrem3000 2015-10-22 07:04:59)

MC wrote:

Clicking on the normal TM FX window entry in the taskbar will bring it to the foreground. But it seems you clicked on the symbol in the notification area - then it will be minimized. That is intended behavior and will not change.

But all other Windows programs (Skype, Spotify, Winamp and etc) which sit in the systray area are brought to the front once clicked on systray icon, no matter, if they are minimized and etc. This is default behavior for all Windows apps which sit in the systray area. You are always clicking the app systray icon to have it activated/bring it back. What is the logic on closing the TM, what is the purpose of this behavior ?
The problem is - when systray icon is clicked, the TM software developers did simple check - if the window is not closed - then close it, if it is closed (not in the taskbar) - the bring it to the TOP, but they did not check additional condition - if the TM window is not closed, but is not focused, then don't close it, but bring to the front. As i mentioned it - it is a default behavior for all apps. The same is for the Volume control software of some other sound cards developers - Focusrite, Presonus, MOTU. I've had all of them.
But RME behavior is weird.

UPD: just recorded the video (see the first reply) of the issue, just to be sure, that i was understood correctly

Your 'all other Windows programs' argument fails, because no other such app as TM FX exists that can use multiple windows, and will hide and bring all these in the foreground simultaneously (!). We had technical reasons to implement the systray icon's functionality as it is now.

That said we had an idea today when discussing that might bring the behavior that you expect. Please wait for the next update, maybe it is implemented then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by djrem3000 2015-10-22 07:05:55)

MC wrote:

Your 'all other Windows programs' argument fails, because no other such app as TM FX exists that can use multiple windows, and will hide and bring all these in the foreground simultaneously (!). We had technical reasons to implement the systray icon's functionality as it is now.

That said we had an idea today when discussing that might bring the behavior that you expect. Please wait for the next update, maybe it is implemented then.

Matthias Carstens, there are plenty of such multiwindowed programs which hide to systray and are being brought to foreground simultaneously, RME are not an innovators there definitely smile
As being a software developer in the past, i did not see any technical difficulties to check all the windows my process has created for the focus at the time the systray icon is clicked, and then accordingly bring every to the foreground smile Sorry for that.

djrem3000 wrote:

there are plenty of such multiwindowed programs which hide to systray and are being brought to foreground simultaneously

Examples?

djrem3000 wrote:

As being a software developer in the past, i did not see any technical difficulties to check all the windows my process has created for the focus at the time the systray icon is clicked, and then accordingly bring every to the foreground

As a software developer you should know that the icon usually is not in the 'systray', but hidden, and the moment you click the triangle to see all those the focus has changed. It is not that simple, but as said a solution seems possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by djrem3000 2015-10-22 08:05:09)

MC wrote:

Examples?

The most obvious example most frequently used by me - Microsoft Outlook with the "New E-mail" window opened, so 2 windows open in total + system tray smile

MC wrote:

As a software developer you should know that the icon usually is not in the 'systray', but hidden, and the moment you click the triangle to see all those the focus has changed. It is not that simple, but as said a solution seems possible.

Should agree with you there, it is not as simple as described by me, but as you said - is possible. BTW in my case the icon in systray is always showing, as it has setting "show notification and icon", because it is being used frequently.

Anyway, thank you for bringing the notice to this small but annoying behavior smile