1 (edited by bsfreq 2015-11-06 10:33:09)

Topic: One more request for TotalmixFX - ignore solo on submix mirrors

Hi Matthias,

TotalmixFX is now soo close to being able to handle everything I'd want it to.
However, for me it's still lacking one crucial feature. 

I've been asking for the mute/alt functionality of small mackie mixers implemented in TotalmixFX.
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/mute-a … explained/

As you've said before, this is not on your list and I fear it will never be implemented.
However there are alternative ways of achieving more or less the same goal. (Keeping two mixes synced while being able to select which input tracks get through to the coupled output that’s routed to my looper’s recording input)  And an easy one too I hope. 
While the mute buttons in TMFX are global, the solo buttons work per submix.
Now with the output mirroring feature in place, do you think you could by any chance add just one more setting box to preferences?

I mean this:
"When mirroring an output, solo buttons on the input tracks only affect the original mirrored output - while ignored on output duplicates"

Even better if the option to ignore solo states would be in the dropdown menu when pasting / mirroring the mix to another output - with options to:
"Mirror of output x", and
"Mirror of output x - ignoring solo"
This way we could choose the behaviour for each output duplicate.

You say that under the hood you use syncronized submixes for the mirrored submix feature, so would it be easy enough to just make the submix duplicates ignore the input solo state? I really hope so, and I think this would be useful for others too.

The advantage of TotalmixFX over other dsp mixers is definately in its flexibility allowing it to be used for live mixing too. But there are still situations where you have to carry around extra equipment to be able to do something that rme's interface and its dsp alone could handle with ease if the option was added.

For example in my situation where instead of only one interface, I have to use an external mackie mixer with mute/alt feature + a second interface to get enough input channels to route my instruments back to my recording/looping software. (Besides, the smaller mackie mixers with mute/alt feature don't have mute lights per track, so in low light it’s a pain in the ass trying to see which tracks are ”rec-enabled”. With TMFX, I’d easily see the solo/rec state from a decently lit midi-controller or ipad.) 

I understand that keeping TotalmixFX intuitive and easy to use is important, but I don't find cluttering the mixer view necessary. These advanced features could, and should be hidden under dropdown menus or preference options. However, everything on the preferences page still fits on one page and dropdown menus are short enough too, so perhaps there's still room for improvement. wink

All the best,

-Joel

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Re: One more request for TotalmixFX - ignore solo on submix mirrors

.. Or can you perhaps think up another way to do the same? Something you might possibly add to TMFX. Any news on the global osc control? 
I re-read my post, and noticed having said that there's a way to do the same by using external gear. To be precise, this is not the case. It's only a lousy workaround and of course lacks many fetures of TMFX. (Not to mention connecting all the extra cables every time..)
I've got some cool ideas for my setup, and this little tweak to TMFX would allow me to do so mch more!

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic