Topic: HDSP 9632 too close to video card causes interference

Hi everyone,

So I have indulged in a brand new computer for Christmas. I changed every single component except my trusty old HDSP 9632, bought in 2004 (still working perfectly of course), at a time when I was spending a lot of time recording music. Now I'm just a hobbyist, and I also play games on this machine, so I chose an MSI GTX 970 as video card. I know the old adage: never play games on a music machine... So true.
Anyway, the only PCI slot on the mobo (ASUS z170-a) is right under the GPU slot, with the fans of the video card aiming directly at the 9632. I knew this wouldn't be good, and bingo: I'm getting a constant high-pitched sound which disappears when I unplug the MSI and use the mobo GPU instead.

I tried to move the graphics card to the second pci-e slot: no signal. In short, there's nowhere else I can put either card.  I'm stuck. So... do I have to spend an extra 500€ on a PCI-e AIO, or does a genius in here see a solution to my predicament?..

Thanks for any help!

Re: HDSP 9632 too close to video card causes interference

I doubt that the AIO will improve the situation. What you hear is the excess current demand of the graphics card, modulated onto the motherboard, affecting either operating voltages or ground situation or both. PCIe is even more sensitive for these effects than PCI. And there is no immediate help, as the cause and fix might be very cumbersome to find (new mobo, new power supply, other graphics card, taping the slot bracket...).

An external interface like the Fireface UC will most probably be an easier solution.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your reply Matthias. That's what I thought too, actually. Ah, better start saving up for the fireface then. 
In the meantime, I can always use the Mobo GPU for long music sessions...

And don't forget to try all the fixes (that might help or not).
Here are some.
Disable all speedstepping and CE1 states of the cpu in the bios (most commen cause).
Listen to the headphones out of the card without any other connections.
Find out if the noise is recorded or only on playback side.
As Mathias said, tape the slot bracket.
Is the noise present on the digital outs?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks for the suggestions Vincent.
I actually tried most of them, except the taping, before posting. It seems really related to the graphics card. I think the least cumbersome solution will be to unplug the graphics card when I make music and use the motherboard GPU instead. It just takes a minute and a reboot and bing - silence. That will do until I get an external soundcard, which really seems the safest solution to this kind of problem.

Jean-Baptiste