Topic: +4 or -10 in Totalmix

Hi there, I just had a quick question and was hoping someone could clear this up for me. When I plug my Avalon vt737 into the balanced analogue input on the back of my ufx using a balanced cable, should I have the Analogue input level within totalmix set to +4, -10, or lo gain? I had it set to +4 the other day and I ended up having the output volume on my avalon set to about 9 o'clock which seemed quite low to me -the preamp on the avalon was set to about 38db and I was just tracking regular vocals.
Thanks for your help, Nick

Re: +4 or -10 in Totalmix

Lo Gain. Devices like the Avalon are build to output very hot levels, so make sure the UFX is as insensitive as it can be.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by JarrettPaul 2016-07-14 17:39:15)

I am also interested in knowing if I plug a microphone into a UCX preamp what the analogue input setting should be. +4, -10 or Low gain.

And when not using UCX preamps what setting it should be at if I use an external preamp into UCX input? It is a Great river NV 1 preamp.

Also when using an external preamp if the Total Mix gain should be turned all the way down?

Thank you MC

The Microphone inputs do not have a choice of -10/+4/LoGain.

The NV1 will be connected to the rear inputs with LoGain set.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you. I guess I went in the wrong way. I went from Great River to front input 3.

It's not wrong, but not the typical way to use it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oky doky. Thank you.