1 (edited by Ostkin01 2016-02-09 12:11:02)

Topic: Need advice on ADAT expansions

Hello, I have a fireface UFX and want to expand inputs/outputs to connect extra outboard gear. What should I do? I am really not very up to date with ADAT so I look for a professional solution. I want to keep the UFX as my main board.

I look forward to all your suggestions, many thanks in advance!

Re: Need advice on ADAT expansions

Anybody around here?

What kind of budget do you have for this? Which type of analog I/O do you need, just line level?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff for the reply. Budget is not an issue, I'm not looking for compromises, just a rock-solid system, reliable and pro. Yep just line inputs are fine, I only need to expand analogue gear, add some EQs and compressors and the likes. I have never done something like this before so I'm totally new to this.

Thanks for all advice!

Then I would say your best way forward is another UFX. It's easy to set the unit to AD/DA mode and use with your existing unit via ADAT. You also get a back up interface this way.

The ADI-8 DS mkIII is also a good choice, but not as versatile.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff, do you connect the two devices via optical cable? I looked up ADAT cable online but it doesn't look like it would fit in the ADAT ports of the devices. Do you have a link to a photo of what I need to connect the two?

Thanks a lot!

ADAT cables are simple TOSLINK or SPDIF optical cables. Nothing else.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Whats also possible and what I did. I wanted to have more redundancy and best latency with least impact on computer CPU.

So I bought a RayDAT and connected the existing UFX/ARC combination as Preamp using ADAT 1+2 in/out.

I bought my near field monitors with additional AES digital Interface (Geithain RL906D) and connected it to the UFX via AES (you can use a Mutec MC-1.1+ as AES splitter).

Advantages:

1- should the UFX be used mobile with laptop or shall it require maintenance, then I can connect the RL906D via AES directly to the RayDAT as it has only digital interfaces.
2- the RayDAT allows for even smaller buffersizes so if required for using VST instruments for guitar or drum, you can get very low latency by this
3- less CPU consumption, the RayDAT driver uses less CPU to transport the data, as an PCIe driver works more efficient compared to i.e. USB
4- you have still 2 ADAT in/out free, to connect i.e. 1-2 other preamps, and if these were AD/DA converters you can also use the 2 ADAT outs.
I use i.e. ADAT3 in for a Focusrite OctoPre Preamp and ADAT4 out for optical S/PDIF to connect to a D/A converter in front of my HiFi devices to use it as Monitor B.

You can even make use of the ARC on the UFX for switching to the Hifi Amp if you send the Signal 1st via ADAT from RayDAT to UFX and then back as Monitor B to the RayDAT where it finally goes out on ADAT4 (because that channel is switchable to optical S/PDIF).

Here an article which describes the setup, its in german but the pictures / diagrams should speak for themselves: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ME-RayDAT/

So for you it could be interesting to get RayDAT, connect UFX to it and on top an RME A/D D/A converter, then you have plenty of ports in and out so that you could even connect an analog Mixer with up to 16 channels in and out or whatever you require, i.e. RME ADI 8 DS MKIII or ADI-8 QS.

If you think even in larger scale, then perhaps go Madi directly because of its expandable ring structure if I understand the concept right. Then this card could be a good base for it. http://www.thomann.de/de/rme_hdspe_madi_fx.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you everybody!
@ Ramses, thanks for the suggestions, I have never heard of this Raydat, will have to look into it. So the raydat cards are mounted inside the computer, right?

Hello, thanks for the advices.

Can I use the UFX with a Fireface 800?