Topic: Panning Help Please Babyface

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if someone can help please ,when i pan L or R using Totalmix fx Main or AN 1/2 i can still hear in the opposite side all the way up to 100% , and quite loud also till 100% where it is low but still very audiable ?

Look when i pan left there should be no nosie in right so what has happened when i updated ?? please help

Re: Panning Help Please Babyface

Any Help is appreciated

I have trouble shooted this as simple as possible and its definitely total mix > i have done all the tests with asio4all/win audio drivers and hard panned is silent > totalmix fx should be silent also when hard panned !

Also found this post >http://forum.cakewalk.com/100-Panning-Issue-m3109378.aspx

Come on RME its time for new revision PLEASE this should not be a issue with any audio interface !

Please Please Fix This

There is no bug and no problem in TM FX. Post a screenshot and we will try to tell you what is wrong.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by taccess 2016-02-11 02:19:33)

Hi Matthias ,

I am not sure what screenshot to post , the problem is with the baby face / total mix fx , when i hard pan -100% either way then there is still some signal-sound coming through the opposite speaker ? its low but its clear enough to hear the quality also !

There seems to be a few posts on this issue and i am hoping someone can help me with this !

1) I have disconnected the baby face and using ( win audio-asio4all only ) i have opened DAW Sonar Platinum  and simply added a audio track with a audio sample  > then hard panned Left -100% > and the right ear is completely silent  ! great as it should be !

2) A) I reconnected the baby face USB > disabled all win audio > selected adat 1 stereo output in sonar > Hit Play > Hard Panned 100% Left > now in total mix fx (AS1 MONO) software playback shows signal in the meter > see there is no signal in AS2-RIGHT ,however i can still hear the audio faintly in the right ear?
http://i65.tinypic.com/i2sld2.png
  B) Now i Hard Panned Right >Now in TotalMix fx (AS2 MONO ) software playback shows signal in the meter > see how there is no signal in AS1 -Left ,however i can still hear the audio faintly in the left ear ?
http://i64.tinypic.com/id4xe9.png

I have tried connecting headphones to the side of the babyface unit output , also to the breakout cable auio output and also connected a headphone amp to the xlr outputs on the breakout cable and the same thing occurs ??

Please is the a possible setting ? or is it the unit ? because i am sure before i updated recently i did alot of mono work and dont remember this issue > my revision is 1089-223 . is there ANY way of rolling back , please i think you should consider making available previous revisions and drivers so troubleshouting for different setups can be a very usefull tool ?

I will await any type of help PLEASE !!

> 2) A) I reconnected the baby face USB > disabled all win audio > selected adat 1 stereo output in sonar > Hit Play > Hard Panned 100% Left > now in total mix fx (AS1 MONO) software playback shows signal in the meter > see there is no signal in AS2-RIGHT ,however i can still hear the audio faintly in the right ear?

The correct screenshot would have been with Main highlighted. Anyway...

> B) Now i Hard Panned Right >Now in TotalMix fx (AS2 MONO ) software playback shows signal in the meter > see how there is no signal in AS1 -Left ,however i can still hear the audio faintly in the left ear ?

Your screenshot shows that the analog phones output (Main in your configuration) does not get any signal on left / right (shown by UFL in the meter). That means if you have audible crosstalk then either the BF is broken or your external cabling causes that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Bf snow edition broken !

That's what I thought , though I did have another cable from a previous Babyface so I swapped that and the problem is still there , anyways thanks will probably upgrade to the Babyface pro ! Will test it in store first though .

Thanks

By the way: why did you not make a local loopback - Phones out via TRS to double TS (insert) cable to TS in, first one then the other channel. In TM FX (or DIGICheck) you might be able to see the crosstalk and even measure it...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Phones out via trs then I m lost ! What is ts cable to ts in ?

Can you explain exactly what double ts  is and where it gets pluged  into on the Babyface ?

Because I would love to measure it

Ok so connect a audio cable from headphone output to the trs input on the side of the Babyface ?

Is that what you mean ?? Please explain

A cable with TRS on one side and two TS on the other. That is called 'insert cable'. Splits stereo into L/R.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok I have one of those cables but what exactly do I do?

Connect one end to the trs output of the Babyface and the the other end to where? (instrument in ?)

It's alright I see what you mean now ! I will give it a go tomorrow I need to get the cables out of a big cable box in shed then I will hopefully measure and post results ! Thanks

Measuring Feedback !!!

Ok so i have managed to get this to work though i am hoping you can help me figure out the sums !!

1) i hard panned right 100% in DAW > made a loop back TRS to dual mono and then plugged right side of the dual mono cable into instrument input on the baby face  > then in total mix fx turned on inst light in ( AN 2 Hardware playback)which automatically adjusts the gain to 9.0 > there was obviously a nice meter reading of between -19 to -24db .

2) i then left every thing as it is and unplugged the right mono cable >then i plugged the left mono cable into instrument input on the side of the baby face > there was no lights flashing on the meter of ( AN 2 Hardware playback)  though there was a db reading of -96 to -98db

3) now i left everything as is and started to turn the gain up > i raised the gain to 18.0 on AN2 hardware playback and there was one bar that appears > the db reading at this point is -88db > i then turned the gain up to maximum 60.0 and the meter went up about 5 white lines/1/4 of the way of (AN2 hardware playback ) db reading at this point is -43db

So i am not sure what all of this exactly means ? though its clear there is feedback happening !

A )If you can let me know are these sums normal / and what they mean in terms ?

B) are they to be expected on the baby face /snow edition  ?

if you want i can measure any way if you need ?

Thanks Matthias

Crosstalk is normal and unavoidable, levels of -96 dB are ok and you would never be able to hear that. An audible crosstalk like you described it before is in the range of -50 dB or up.

That said the measurement proves that the BF operates correctly, and the error seems to be externally - outside the TRS socket.

Just to make this clear - you mentioned that you reset TM FX. Did you really go into Options and performed a 'Total Reset'?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

-96 crosstalk is normal for bf , good stuff -- I just want to add I was using Klipsch x11i IEM  to monitor and fortunately for me they broke in half and I decided to by beyerdynamic dt880 pro 2 days ago ( the same day I picked up the cross talk )and the cross talk is not audible through them . Also I want to add when I am monitoring with Yamaha hs80m and hs10w and I pan hard right > I switch off the left speaker and there is no crosstalk ! So I am happy that the studio monitors and dt880 are allowing me to continue without the crosstalk affecting me anymore .

I guess this is a great learning curve for crosstalk , something to always look at when upgrading !

Thanks Matthias