Topic: Multiface II analog level switch (input level?)

Hello,

I'm wondering something about the use of the analog level switch. I'm not sure I need to set it to Hi Gain for the output, I adjust the output level through my monitors.

But what about the input gain?

I use a Great River preamp and a Tech 21 guitar preamp (amp sim) and I find that the recording level is a bit low compared to a condenser mic through my Great River preamp for example.

So do I just need to switch to the High gain input level?

What input level do you use most of the time?

Thank you for your help!!

Re: Multiface II analog level switch (input level?)

Specifications of the input level references are in the manual. Compare with output specs that best match your preamp. If levels are too low for your typical recording application, choose another setting (e.g. +4).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: Multiface II analog level switch (input level?)

Thanks Daniel!

Are you refering to this (22.1 in the manual) :

The 'standardized' studio levels do not result in a (often desired) full scale level, but take some
additional digital headroom into consideration. The amount of headroom is different in different
standards, and again differently implemented by different manufacturers. Because of this we
decided to define the levels of the Multiface in the most compatible way.
Reference 0 dBFS @ Headroom
Lo Gain +19 dBu 15 dB
+4 dBu +13 dBu 9 dB
-10 dBV +2 dBV 12 dB
With +4 dBu selected, the according headroom meets the latest EBU recommendations for
Broadcast usage. At -10 dBV a headroom of 12 dB is common practice, each mixing desk operating
at -10 dBV is able to send and receive much higher levels. Lo Gain is best suited for
professional users who prefer to work balanced and at highest levels. Lo Gain provides 15 dB
headroom at +4 dBu nominal level.