Topic: Help setting up iPad app with UFX

Can someone please direct me to some instructions on how to connect and setup the iPad app?  I've updated the drivers for my Fireface UFX and put it in CC mode.  I have an iPad Air and I'm connecting it to the PC using an Apple lightning/USB cable.  The iPad app always indicates it is disconnected.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Clint

Re: Help setting up iPad app with UFX

You need the Camera Connection kit, not the iPad charger cable. Is that what you use? The system must be on and USB cable plugged into the adapter first, then the last step is to connect the adapter to the iPad.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff!

I must be really dumb. But I just don't understand why there isn't something documented as to how to hook up the iPad app to my UFX.  Without any guidance, I assumed that you connected the iPad to the computer with the standard lightening to USB cable that comes with the iPad. Nothing on the RME iPad app said anything to the contrary.  After learning that wouldn't work I found out I needed the camera connection kit.  So I ordered one of those.  Then I find out you need a cable with the standard sized USB connector on both ends. since the camera connection kit as a female USB connector on it  I probably have 15 different USB cables, but none of them have a standard size USB connector on both ends.  Of all the devices that I have that use USB, I don't know of one that doesn't have a mini or micro USB connector on one end.  Could someone please confirm that a USB cable with standard sized connectors on both ends is all that I need?

Thanks!!

CB

> I have an iPad Air and I'm connecting it to the PC using an Apple lightning/USB cable

Connect the iPad with the UCX. No PC. Via USB Camera adapter. Then the standard USB cable will work.

And it is ALL in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias!  The printed manual that came with my UFX has no mention of the iPad app.  But I found a manual online that talks about the iPad app.  So thanks for the tip.  I see in the System Requirements that it says you need the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit OR a Lightning USB adapter.  My iPad came with a Lightening to USB cable.  Am I correct in understanding though that this cable will not work?  I just purchased the CCK but it has a female USB connector on it.  So back to my original question - do I need to go buy a cable with standard USB connectors on both ends?  That's the only way to connect the CCK to the UFX.  And if so, does it matter whether it is USB 2.0 or 3.0?

Thanks again!

CB

You connect the Lightning to USB ADAPTER to the iPad, and the other end to the UFX, via a normal USB cable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK.  I have my UFX in CC Mode.  My iPad Air is plugged into the USB port on my UFX via an Apple USB Cable connected to an Apple "Lightening to USB Camera Adapter".  But when I load the app on my iPad it says "Fireface UFX disconnected".  Anybody have any idea what I might be missing now?  This is become a major effort but I'm not ready to give up just yet.  Too much time invested at this point.  Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

CB

If the UFX is really set to CC, then when connecting the iPad immediately all system sounds as well as music/audio is played via the UFX. Check that. If that works then the TM FX app will work as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is there something else you need to do to get into CC mode other than what is explained in the manual?  When I view the UFX display under "Options - Hardware/Diagnosis - CC Mode" it says "ON".  The CC Routing is set to "Phones".  Those are the only CC Mode options that I see.

With the iPad connected to the UFX as described previously, no sound/music from the iPad plays through the UFX.  It still plays through the iPad speaker.  And the TM App still says "Fireface UFX disconnected".

I am having the same issue with my iPad. Although, I did get mine to connect, the connection is unstable and keeps disconnecting.

What I have:
Fireface UFX
RODE Mic
IPad Pro 2020
USB-C to Digital AV multi-port adaptor
Male USB-2 to male USB-3 cable

What I have done:
With all cables unplugged, I plugged in the UFX power cable to the wall outlet, and changed the CC mode.
I then plugged in the male USB-2 into the UFX and the other end (male USB-3 end) into the adaptor.
Plugging the adaptor straight into the iPad.
Plugged in the mic.

What I see:
Both TRS and SIG lights are green on the mic
The STATE USB light is blue
RME APP connects but then disconnects immediately and connects again in a continuous loop.

Any help would be appreciated.

> USB-C to Digital AV multi-port adaptor

Obviously this is the ciulprit then. Try a simple USB hub or a even more simple USB-C to USB-B cable directly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by tibicinis 2023-12-04 14:01:37)

Hi,

I've recently tried a generic adaptor during a show (5 hrs connected) and it works well (usb 3 compatible).
Here's the model I've bought :
https://www.amazon.fr/Adaptateur-Compat … &psc=1

11€ instead of the genuine 50€ apple scam.

If your app shows the ufx offline, flip the plug. It has a polarity.

my stuffs :
ufx+
ipad (gen 6) - not pro (I think I've read the pro version doesn't need an adaptor, but I'm not sure)
I use the rme usb cable

(You need to disconnect the usb cable when you put the ufx in CC mode)

The ipad app apparently has a bug. It doesn't hide the choosen channels in output. Quite annoying.