1 (edited by lite 2016-04-28 13:13:05)

Topic: DSP noise gate please (frustrated UA Apollo user is waiting)

Hi.

I am wondering why there is no dedicated noise gate on RME interfaces with DSP effects (UFX, etc.). To some degree you could use the expander but that is still some sort of compromise to me and attack/release times aren't independent from compressor.

Here is my story. I play drums and currently use an Universal Audio Apollo for tracking my drums. Noise gates are very important to me for suppressing bleed signals on close mics (toms, kick and snare). Especially when playing in a room where reflections cause all drum heads to vibrate without being hit. This creates some muddy noise floor if you don't gate the related mics.

Universal Audio's Apollo has several different noise gates (Neve, SSL and API channel strip plugins). To be honest the noise gates are the only reason I still use an Apollo. I would like to switch to RME UFX+ because being kind of frustrated with Universal Audio and Apollo for the following reasons:

- Limited to 16 channels (18 channels with S/PDIF). I have tried to cascade two Apollos running windows. After one month of error messages and no solution from support I have given up and have returned the second unit. It's officially supported but it has never worked on any of three different windows machines.

- thunderbolt implementation: no windows drivers for thunderbolt, just sort of weak excuses.

- no windows mixing console software update for windows anymore (release promised since one year, nothing has happened)

- current Apollo rack units don't support windows anymore, just thunderbolt with new Macs (not that nice if you have invested some money into plugins already)

- Laptop DSP card has just stopped working and they don't offer repair service since “it is discontinued”

- European/German Universal Audio phone support isn't reachable since months. After appr. 30 minutes holding pattern system hungs up.

Well I think RME is quite the opposite. I even got TotalMix for my very old Digiface with Cardbus connection. I would love to leave Apollo/UA hassle behind and grab RME's UFX+. I think the UFX DSP has enough horsepower for some simple noise gate added to the dynamic section, wouldn't it?

Does anybody know if further development of TotalMix DSP effects is on the horizon? That would be awesome!

Thank You.

Cheers.

Re: DSP noise gate please (frustrated UA Apollo user is waiting)

We have no plans to convert the unit into a super-duper FX processor. The FX available are carefully selected to be as universal as possible as well as useful for most situations.

That said: did you ever try the Expander? Yes, it is not a full replacement for the mentioned dedicated gates, but it might just work good enough in your case when set up correctly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by lite 2016-04-30 17:21:16)

Thank You for replying so quickly. I wouldn't expect some blown up effect section. Just a 'complete' channel strip (noise gate, compressor and EQ) would be great.

I haven't tried TotalMix expander as I don't have one so far. Basically using an expander as gate would be fine. At the moment TotoalMix expander and compressor share same attack/release time setting (from what I understand reading the manual). For drums short expander/noise gate attack time is required to preserve transients. Different to that the compressor requires slow attack setting (15-30ms) for compressing the drum sound but keeping the transients uncompressed.

What about separate attack/release settings for expander and compressor, extending expander's threshold range above -20db and increasing expander's ratio beyond 1:10? That would make TotalMix' expander a true expander/gate combo acting independently from compressor settings. What do you think? I think TotalMix/UFX(+) have deserved it ;-) Would the modification be extensive?

Thank You.

Cheers.

Four years later still not happy with UAD gear. Driver hassle, hardware breakdown and teleshopping style phone support ("have you tried another cable"). Any news on the horizon of adding a little more fx options in some future interface? Blowing up the EQ with more bands? That would be enough for me to come back home to RME. Pleeaasssee ...... smile

more EQ options would be very helpful, especially on the outputs.. why not provide an option in preference to choose between 3 band or 4 band ? if the user selects 4 band they just have less EQ to use with available DSP.. that is a fair trade off and it would enable more applications.. I know you have the low pass filter but I still find 3 bands restrictive for certain things.

Yes please! Make it selectable up to 5 bands and I am on board! smile Carsten?

To be fair: "Have you tried another cable?" is quite a common phrase around here, too. wink USB and Firewire cables can be bad/broken, so it's not a completely misguided question.

Bump for the old topic that never lived up to our expectations.
Here's an idea: I'd trade compressor for gate in some instances. So, would it be that hard to introduce at least a simple gate and when it is enabled, the compressor becomes disabled or limited to some auto-settings. Just a thought. This would make, at least UFX III, a much more versatile solution for us drummers that tend to track and mix.