1 (edited by JC28 2016-06-07 07:05:07)

Topic: Fireface UFX+ Specs?

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked already, but when can we expect info on the UFX's converter and other component specs?

Thanks!

Core i7 4770K | 32GB of RAM | Windows 7 Pro (SP1) 64 bit | Cubase 8.5 64 bit | RME FireFace UCX |

Re: Fireface UFX+ Specs?

When the device is available for order / shipping I would guess wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Smart ass :-)

Core i7 4770K | 32GB of RAM | Windows 7 Pro (SP1) 64 bit | Cubase 8.5 64 bit | RME FireFace UCX |

Can someone from RME answer if the UFX+ has better or the same converters as its predecessor, the UFX?

Also, in order to take full advantage of the Thunderbolt speed, does my motherboard need to have it, or is there a PCIe card to Thunderbolt adaptor that performs equally? I'm using a Windows 7 64 bit system with an ASUS Hero motherboard that has no Thunderbolt connectors.

Thanks!

One more question, my motherboard does come with USB3 connectors. Is this as fast as Thunderbolt?

6 (edited by ramses 2016-06-09 20:00:25)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments … wont_ever/

Thunderbolt will be quicker, have less delay and not consume as many CPU time compared to USB

(EDIT: based on knowledge about USB / thunderbolt protocol, internet articles, observations with USB, but I could not measure this due to lack of HW).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by JC28 2016-06-09 19:31:20)

Thanks! That answers my last question, but what about the previous two? Also, which Thunderbolt connector does the UFX+ come with, 1, 2 or 3?

8 (edited by ramses 2016-06-09 20:03:05)

JC28 wrote:

Thanks! That answers my last question, but what about the previous two? Also, which Thunderbolt connector does the UFX+ come with, 1, 2 or 3?

If you would read the information in the wikipedia article, then you would know:

"At the physical level, the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 are identical, and Thunderbolt 1 cabling is thus compatible with Thunderbolt 2 interfaces. At the logical level, Thunderbolt 2 enables channel aggregation, whereby the two previously separate 10 Gbit/s channels can be combined into a single logical 20 Gbit/s channel"

So we need now only to find out whether its 1/2 or 3 ...

If you would read the information in the wikipedia article, then you would know:

"Thunderbolt 3 was developed by Intel Israel[47] and uses USB Type-C connectors"

Now look at the pictures in the wikipedia article:

1. Thunderbolt 1 + 2
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/Thunderbolt-Connector.jpg/200px-Thunderbolt-Connector.jpg

2. Thunderbolt 3
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/USB_Type-C_Plug_03.jpg/220px-USB_Type-C_Plug_03.jpg

Now look at the back of the UFX+ ...
http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_fireface_ufx-plus_3b.jpg

You got it ?

JC28 wrote:

TBH .. what do you expect .. if RME wants you to know the specs, they will put it on the web page ...

ramses wrote:
JC28 wrote:

TBH .. what do you expect .. if RME wants you to know the specs, they will put it on the web page ...

I like it when people do the homework for me. You did great, thanks! :-)

You're welcome and have fun with the UFX+ once it arrives wink

You too! :-)

13 (edited by JC28 2016-06-11 23:43:02)

Are the converters in the upcoming Fireface UFX+ the same, or better than the ones found in the original UFX? If different, is the latency higher or lower? What about sound quality?

I remember reading that the UCX has faster converters than the original UFX, which was one of the features that sold it for me (besides me not needing nearly as many channels as the UFX has). But if both sound quality AND converter latency have been improved on the new UFX+, then that would be a great selling point.

BTW, I understand that Thunderbolt will already give me better performance, but I won't be able to take advantage of it until I upgrade my motherboard (which I don't plan on doing for a while). Im gonna be relying on USB, in the mean time, which is why the latency question is important to me.

Thanks!

Why you need a second thread?
You already asked in https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=23871

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

First, because I got no official answer about the converters found in the UFX+. And second, because that thread focused on Thunderbolt. Thats why :-).

I've been politely asking questions about the converters in the upcoming UFX+. Since I didn't get an answer here, because this thread focused more on the other question about Thunderbolt, I decided to create another thread specifically asking about the converter's quality. Now I see that that thread is gone.

I love RME products (owned a FF400 and currently the UCX), but if this is how you treat your customers (by ignoring and deleting threads asking questions about a new product), then I have to assume that you don't want my money.

Sorry, but you seem to have wrong expectations:

1. this is a user forum
2. no company tells details of new product before they hit the market for obvious strategic reasons

I told you this already in the other thread, but you either don't listen or simply are unwilled to understand.
TBH .. nobody can help you with that attitude.

JC28 wrote:

Now I see that that thread is gone.

Nothing is 'gone'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

JC28 wrote:

I love RME products (owned a FF400 and currently the UCX), but if this is how you treat your customers (by ignoring and deleting threads asking questions about a new product), then I have to assume that you don't want my money.

You can assume all you want. Fact of the matter is, every forum has it's habits. This one is mostly populated by professionals. And they don't have time to muck about, usually. It's up to you to adjust to your environment.

Your question has been answered. None of the forum visitors know more. And, as Ramses already pointed out, not many companies give out info before release.

Having bought several devices from RME before should give you a fair idea about what's coming. One of the best devices on the market, only better. When you reach the level of perfection these devices show, "better" isn't usually a revolution. It's evolution.

Not buying it, if you need it, doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Whichever way you turn it...

Hec, for me, personally, RME makes THE best device on the market. Even if I still use an older FF400. But that's personal. And I don't know any other device that has completer, conciser and correcter info. Do you?

Does it mean I have no wishes? No, but again, these are so personal that I understand it's not a tailor-made device.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

20 (edited by JC28 2016-06-13 18:49:28)

MC wrote:
JC28 wrote:

Now I see that that thread is gone.

Nothing is 'gone'.

Matthias,

That's my bad for not noticing that you guys merged both threads into one. My sincere apologies for that. That said, why did you take the time to respond to that but didn't bother to answer my questions? It's not like the specs are gonna change at this point, and it's crazy to think that the competition is gonna come up with a product overnight like someone said. I don't see the harm. All I asked for was official word from RME (not forum members) regarding the UFX+. I guess I'm spoiled by American companies, like Line 6, who do take the time to answer to potential customer's questions.

JC28 wrote:

I guess I'm spoiled by American companies, like Line 6, who do take the time to answer to potential customer's questions.

Now you are just sounding silly. RME is very responsive to customer requests and inquiries on this forum, far more so than most companies (American or otherwise).  They do sometimes withhold details about upcoming products, as they seem to be doing here, but that is certainly their right to do so.

I understand if RME doesn't want to answer certain questions. But is it too much to ask for a reply (even if it is to say that they can't answer these questions yet)? It seems a bit rude, in my opinion, to completely ignore users (me, in this case).

I am not aware of any merged threads. Anyway, the specs are now final and will be released in a few days, most probably by an update of our website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I am not aware of any merged threads. Anyway, the specs are now final and will be released in a few days, most probably by an update of our website.

Thank you!

That's all I needed to know. I wished you would've replied with that sooner :-).

BTW, the first post of the other thread I created is now post #13 of this one. Notice the reply by Garry, post #14, where he asks why I created another thread and posts a link that takes you back to this thread (the original).

I usually just jump to the last post I write on a thread, which is why I didn't notice the merge at first. This is why I thought my thread was deleted, and admittedly got irritated about that and just plain being ignored when I was simply being excited and interested in buying the new UFX+. Hopefully, people can relate to that and at least try to understand me a little.

In any case, onwards and upwards. Looking forward to checking out the specs :-).

25 (edited by ramses 2016-06-14 06:59:15)

Side note: don't let specs become your religion ... its nice to have them, but absolutely no reason to act as impatient like you did in this thread.

Please read this article. Even before reading it, it should have been clear that RME does a fantastic job. And also here on the user forum their involvement and quality is much better compared to any other vendor forum I saw up to now (and I saw a lot)

http://www.synthax.co.uk/latest/2016/05 … igner-rme/

So please give them time and headroom to take care of the important things and let them simply do their job.

As you could see at the end, things would have come anyway ... also without pushing from your side for no evident reason than maybe simply to satisfy your personal ego to get something.

ramses wrote:

Side note: don't let specs become your religion ... its nice to have them, but absolutely no reason to act as impatient like you did in this thread.

I know :-).

ramses wrote:

Please read this article. Even before reading it, it should have been clear that RME does a fantastic job. And also here on the user forum their involvement and quality is much better compared to any other vendor forum I saw up to now (and I saw a lot)

http://www.synthax.co.uk/latest/2016/05 … igner-rme/

RME does a fantastic job with their products. No doubt about that.

As for their forum involvement, that's up for debate. A year ago, Line 6 announced their current flagship modeler (Helix) and, since then, they have been participating across multiple forums answering customer's questions in a manner I've never seen before. They are perhaps THE most responsive music gear company I've had the pleasure to experience to date (and, like you, I've experienced a lot). You can see evidence of this in the still ongoing thread found at The Gear Page, which is NOT their forum by the way. It has over 1,200 pages (over 24,000 posts!), and counting, and their participation has not diminished one bit:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. … x.1586637/

If you check that thread out, you'll notice posts from beta testers (i.e. Phil_m and Pietro), as well as the Product Manager (Digital Igloo), the Director of Operations (Frank Ritchotte), the Sound Designer (benadrian), and others. The only time I've seen participation similar to this was during the golden years of the Cakewalk's Sonar forum, before they got bought by Gibson. I don't know how it is over there any more, but the Sonar developers and Product managers were VERY active as well. In contrast, I find this forum super slow. Then again, thinking about it, it's kinda always been like this.

All that said, I never expected RME to be as active as those forums. It's OK if they aren't. But don't just flat out ignore people. It took almost a full week for me to get an official answer from them. That's a bit much, in my book. I guess you guys are used to this pace, and that's fine. I'm just not :-).

ramses wrote:

So please give them time and headroom to take care of the important things and let them simply do their job.

I'm sure it took Mathias less than a minute to reply. Hardly any time to be considered a hindrance to their workload.

ramses wrote:

As you could see at the end, things would have come anyway ... also without pushing from your side for no evident reason than maybe simply to satisfy your personal ego to get something.

Perhaps. But, unless people are flat out not interested in an upcoming product, it is expected for them to ask questions. It's always been this way. And, like I said, the reason why I got a irritated was because I felt ignored, especially when I thought that my other thread was deleted. It felt like RME was actively ignoring my questions while answering similar questions elsewhere.

Anyway, I got my answer and I'll be patient. You have a great day! :-)

Line 6 internet presence is marketing and they need it for a product like that
IMHO you buy a specific RME interface for the features you need (number of I/O and connectivity) not for marketing blurbs.
RME have stated that all their interfaces are designed to sound the same; 100% neutral.
Only converter delays have shrunk a little over the years, but I am not sure what  advantage that gives on the fact that you are still limited by the buffer size. Unless you really want 0s latency monitoring, in which case an analogue mixer is the only solution. A digital mixer (and total mix) will always cause some delay, but at least to me that has never been an issue even on the old hdsp hardware.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Line 6 internet presence is marketing and they need it for a product like that

Call it what you want, but their customer service is top notch both online and offline. The evidence is undeniable if you check the link to the thread I posted above.

vinark wrote:

IMHO you buy a specific RME interface for the features you need (number of I/O and connectivity) not for marketing blurbs.
RME have stated that all their interfaces are designed to sound the same; 100% neutral.
Only converter delays have shrunk a little over the years, but I am not sure what  advantage that gives on the fact that you are still limited by the buffer size. Unless you really want 0s latency monitoring, in which case an analogue mixer is the only solution. A digital mixer (and total mix) will always cause some delay, but at least to me that has never been an issue even on the old hdsp hardware.

You buy ANY product based on your personal needs. This is not exclusive to RME products. And believe me, their new Helix FX pedalboard is not just marketing blurbs. It is now considered amongst the top 3 hardware amp modeling devices in the industry, next to the Axe FX II and the Kemper. Feature-wise, it is the most complete of the three. Tone-wise, it is up for debate.

As far as sound quality, I agree that RME converters do sound natural, but there are still small differences. For example, I noticed a very slight difference between the FF400 and the UCX. A friend of mine owns both a Babyface and a UFX and he also noticed differences there, but he still considers the Babyface top notch.

In regards to delay, as RME states in their manuals and website, the Fireface UCX has a newer converter chip with lower latency than the UFX. This is important to me because I use a lot of heavy sample libraries, mostly from EWQL, Spectrasonics and Kontakt. In my case, an analog mixer is not gonna helpful, except when recording instruments (which is not as often as it used to be now that I have both a Helix and a Kemper).

Anyway, I'm not trying to create a Line 6 vs RME war here. That was not the purpose of why I brought them up. It had more to do with the fact that they have AMAZING customer service and I think that any company, not just RME, should take note in this regard. Nothing wrong about learning from others. Also, if I'm gonna spend the amount of money that a new UFX+ costs, then I wanna make sure I learn about it as much as I can and that it is indeed an upgrade to my UCX (for MY needs). I'm not one to simply part with my money just out of brand loyalty. In fact, I do not have any loyalty towards any manufacturer. Whoever provides the product that best fits my needs is the one I'll choose. For almost 10 years now, in my case that has been RME.

OK, I think I've explained myself plenty and now the thread has been derailed considerably. There's no more need for me to be here, at least for now, so I'll see you guys when I see you. Bye! :-)

Ok fair enough. It is just that we ( a large userbase) are very happy about how the RME staff is present and helpful on this forum.

On one of your technical subjects. IMHO latency by the converters pales to the buffer size latency. I use my RME gear in exactly the same way as you (Kontakt and VSTi's).

Vincent, Amsterdam

I'll only speak for myself, but I've found RME to be extremely responsive via email, phone and this forum, with both pre-sale inquiries and after I purchased RME gear.  I've never asked a question on this form that went more than a day without being addressed.  The vast majority of the time, my post is addressed within hours, sometimes even minutes.  In my experience, RME has been great with driver, firmware and software updates/fixes, and adding new features.  No complaints on my end at all.  Looking forward to being able to use the UFX+ via Thunderbolt, on a Windows system.

Line6 is actually pretty good as well, but it wasn't always that way.  I've been a Line6 user since 1999, and in my experience, their customer service has been on the high end of acceptable, but not great...Until the last few years.  Now, I would put them in the great category.  They're still not quite to RME status (in my experience), but getting close.

Converter latency has decreased a good bit in recent years, from around 1 ms each way to values of around 10 samples. You will find exact figures in the manuals of UFX or UCX. At this level, there is not much left to reduce, and even if a new converter were to hypothetically reduce conversion latency to 5 samples, that difference would simply be insignificant with regard to overall latency.

As for "sound quality", there are no differences by design. No RME device is built for a specific "character" or the like. Differences in SNR or the like may exist, but will again not matter in real workd applications.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Differences / Changes to UFX

AD, Line In 1-8, rear

Improved SNR (+ 3 dB). Improved high end frequency response, especially at 192 kHz. Improved low end frequency response.

UFX
•    Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 110 dB RMS unweighted, 113 dBA
•    Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 15 Hz – 21.5 kHz
•    Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 7 Hz – 45.5 kHz
•    Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 5 Hz – 66.5 kHz

UFX+
•    Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 113 dB RMS unweighted, 116 dBA
•    Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 5 Hz – 20.8 kHz
•    Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 3 Hz – 45.8 kHz
•    Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 2 Hz – 92 kHz

Microphone In 9-12, front
Extended gain range with special RME technology. Improved SNR by better level adaptation and new ADC.

UFX
•    Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 112 dB RMS unweighted, 115 dBA
•    Gain range: 65 dB
•    Maximum input level, Gain 0 dB: +12 dBu
•    Maximum input level, Gain 65 dB: -53 dBu

UFX+
•    Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 115 dB RMS unweighted, 118 dBA
•    Gain range: 75 dB
•    Maximum input level, Gain 0 dB: +18 dBu
•    Maximum input level, Gain 75 dB: -57 dBu

Instrument In 9-12, front
Inst input impedance raised from 800 kOhm to >1MOhm. Improved SNR by better level adaptation and new ADC.

UFX
•    Input impedance: 800 kOhm
•    Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 112 dB RMS unweighted, 115 dBA

UFX+
•    Input impedance: 1 MOhm
•    Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 114 dB RMS unweighted, 118 dBA

DA, Line Out 1-8, rear
Lower THD and THD+N.

UFX
•    THD: -104 dB, < 0.00063 %
•    THD+N: -100 dB, < 0.001 %

UFX+
•    THD: < -110 dB, < 0.00032 %
•    THD+N: < -104 dB, < 0.00063 %

DA - Stereo Monitor Output Phones (9-12)
Better THD and THD+N. Changed whole DAC to phones circuit: optimized levels, switches and circuitry. Driver stage changed from 30 Ohm to 2 Ohm impedance. Max out level raised from +17 to +19 dBu (same reference as the other line outputs).

UFX
•    Maximum output level at 0 dBFS, High: +17 dBu
•    Output impedance: 30 Ohm

UFX+
•    Maximum output level at 0 dBFS, High: +19 dBu
•    Output impedance: 2 Ohm
•    Max power per channel @ 32 Ohm load, 0.1% THD: 210 mW (2.6 Vrms, +10.5 dBu)

Converter latency: AD unchanged, 12 samples. DA down from 28 (UFX) to 7 samples (UFX+).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

33 (edited by Lindsey 2016-06-17 16:09:04)

Thank you MC, You are the best communicator and responder in the industry! Another reason RME rocks!
saving my pennies for UFX +

SamProX23 Suite-RME UFX+,FF800;X-Touch,21" Acer Touch,ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71-Win8,MSSurfbook-Win10

UFX+ is on my hit list for as soon as it's available in the US.  My GC Pro guy is telling me late Summer to early Fall.

+1 great, thanks !

36 (edited by JC28 2016-06-20 10:09:09)

Nice! I'm sold :-).

Thank you, Matthias, for taking the time to post this. I really appreciate it!

Hey!

On the UFX+, is the Level Poti in front or after the DA Converter?
In other Words, if i want all Bits for the DA-convertion do i need a Monitor Controller?

Thank you

In theory, yes. In practice, it really does not matter much, if at all.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

My monitors (Geithain RL906D) are relatively loud set from factory.
So that I listen with TM Outputs (on UFX) set from -38 dB up to -28dB.
Does this still not matter ?

If there is an impact, where is it more ? I have 2 different use cases:
Monitors connected to
a) AES out (I have monitors with AES interface) or
b) Analog Out ?

Additionally it would be nice to know from you, whether this is different or the same with the new UFX+.
I will migrate from UFX to UFX+ soon. Maybe any difference compared to UFX due to i.e. design or other electronic parts ?

ramses wrote:

Does this still not matter?

Not really. You are only "losing" about 6 bit of theoretical resolution here, which leaves you with something a good deal better than CD standard... Also, when using analog outs, you could reduce the analog output level by using the -10 dBV setting.

Monitors connected to
b) Analog Out?

That would depend on the monitors' converters. Is there no level control on the monitors at all? Their analog variety seems to have that.

Additionally it would be nice to know from you, whether this is different or the same with the new UFX+.
I will migrate from UFX to UFX+ soon. Maybe any difference compared to UFX due to i.e. design or other electronic parts ?

No difference that way.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
ramses wrote:

Does this still not matter?

Not really. You are only "losing" about 6 bit of theoretical resolution here, which leaves you with something a good deal better than CD standard... Also, when using analog outs, you could reduce the analog output level by using the -10 dBV setting.

Monitors connected to
b) Analog Out?

That would depend on the monitors' converters. Is there no level control on the monitors at all? Their analog variety seems to have that.

No difference that way.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the tip with the -10 dB settings in the analog use case wink

The monitors have volume potis at the back and I think they can trim the volume for both, AES and Analog INs.
So I could trim them down so that the signal via AES isn't that loud anymore.

I didn't do it yet as I fear that I do not get the same accuracy in setting the same volume level for both boxes.
I fear they have better methods for doing that in the factory.

Setting them perfect is of course very challencing,  but on the other hand sitting a few cm off centre has more impact ;-) . If the pots  on the speakers have any indications, use those and don't worry.... And thinking they might be set perfect in the factory.... I would not put my money on that. If you want to be fairly accurate, set up a microphone dead centre and use a test tone.
Cheers
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam

43 (edited by ramses 2016-06-21 18:11:34)

vinark wrote:

Setting them perfect is of course very challencing,  but on the other hand sitting a few cm off centre has more impact ;-) . If the pots  on the speakers have any indications, use those and don't worry.... And thinking they might be set perfect in the factory.... I would not put my money on that. If you want to be fairly accurate, set up a microphone dead centre and use a test tone.
Cheers
Vincent

Good points .. let me see, maybe I will do it to protect me ears by this as well.

I had already 4 incidents where TM set this to 0dB and I got a surprise.
Now I changed settings in preferences, luckily this didn't occurr anymore.

Edit: DONE, all potis set to "0", then its still loud enough.
If I listen silent, then TM is now set to -25 dB, little louder with more "bottom" is now -11 dB.

And with -0 dB these 2 boxes still "kick ass" enough for me ... no reason to listen louder.

ramses wrote:

I had already 4 incidents where TM set this to 0dB and I got a surprise.

While waiting for this UFX + release, I purchased a Babyface Pro to fill in a few gaps.  This " surprise " created a wind from the monitors that blew in my face like a breezy day.  I'm guessing my real surprise is that I didn't kill these monitors!

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

Hi there, anybody knows if this new Fireface will have the same AD/DA chips as the new adi-2 pro? if not what chips are going to be used?
Thanks

Hi RME-Crew,

it's july now - still waiting for the UFX+ to come. Is there an official release termin? Would be great to know! smile

thanks and greetings
J

Is the USB port on the front for Durec also USB 3.0 now ?

No.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

JakobJ wrote:

it's july now - still waiting for the UFX+ to come. Is there an official release termin? Would be great to know! smile

It's almost September and still no UFX+ in stores...

What's the official release date, guys? When will I be able to order one from Thomann? smile

A very happy RME UFX+ & ARC owner smile

Pssst...

3 messages above your post big_smile

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...