Topic: Experience after market research

Hello RME,

I would like to use this place for some feedback.

I am a owner of the Multiface II with the PCIe HDSPe. I am very happy for many years now with the interface. I have used it exclusively with Linux since day 0.

Now I need another interface and as it looks like the Multiface II is not available anymore (at least not at my reseller) I looked into the market of professional audio interfaces.

The UFX Series would have been very promising but as a Linux user I would only have access to a very limited set of functions. Of course there are many lowcost audio interfaces with USB class compliance but I do not feel comfortable using them directly with my hifi power amp (no additional volume limits).

I found the Motu AVB series which also operates in usb class compliant mode. BUT the whole mixing and control part with all effects, etc is controlled via IP and HTML. This means, that ALL functionality that is available for windows users is available for Linux users as well.

It performs without a hassle.

As a german I'm a bit disappointed that I have to buy foreign products only because I use the linux operating system.

I'd like to make sure that my intention for this post is not trolling but to give you some ideas how a professional audio interface can be designed to work completely with Linux (and all other systems like Android, etc) as well.

I hope that in the future RME takes a more flexible and portable way (they don't even have to support linux officially, just implement a standard-conform implementation).

I hope you understand, that I'm really happy with my current RME product but I'm disappointed with the current situation and that I was forced to buy a 1248 Motu.

Greetings

Hendrik (djselbeck)

Re: Experience after market research

I've just given up using an RME AES32 in favour of a Lynx Hilo.  During my 18 months ownership of the AES32, RME has never offered any assistance. I wonder if RME has noticed the growing market for Raspberry Pi audio players - if JRiver can embrace Linux, why can't RME?

3 (edited by yann-kaelig 2016-09-02 15:29:41)

Re: Experience after market research

Hi,

Thx.

I'm also a owner of the Multiface II with the PCIe HDSPe and very happy for many years now with the interface. I have also used it exclusively with Linux since day 0.
I'm also need another card, unfortunately after several searches on the RME side I do not see anything interesting for my Gnu-Linux OS.
And I'm certainly not going to pay for an audio card if I only have access to a very limited set of functions. I'm not german but I'm also a bit disappointed and astonished that in 2016 RME has still not taken seriously the Gnu-Linux OS as a pro audio workstation. It may not be too late for RME to wakes up before Christmas ?