1 (edited by lisnn81 2016-08-30 07:33:16)

Topic: Routing outboard gear - overload signal (clipping in TotalMix)

Good day!

I'm an owner of the RME UFX. I have a problem with signal with outboard gear routing.

What I need? - For example, I have a track of a guitar and I need to send it to outboard EQ (comp, pre and etc) and rec the signal with EQ on new track.

What I do? - I send the guitar track in Logic to output 3 (for example) - ok - it's working - I can hear it via headfones from output 3. Then I use EQ (Warm Audio Pultek Clone) and send the signal from EQ to input 1 - so I think I can to record it in Logic on a new track using Input 1 IN.

Where the problem? The signal which I see in Input 1 (Its the signal from EQ) of the TotalMix is very week. And if I increase the level - I get very very big clipping and overload trouble, so big that I think It can damage my monitors or headphones (and my ears of course).

The level of the signals in TotalMix for example:
- software output 3 - 0 dB
- hardware output 3 - 0 dB
- hardware input 1 - less than half of the fader (I think 1/3), and I can't to increase the level course have overload problems.

And once more - in this case my outboard gear is sounding some strange (some overload and week - not clean) - I compare with how it's sounding on direct recording (mic - preamp - EQ - input 1 in UFX).

Maybe I have wrong routing? But what can be easily - send signal from DAW to output - input EQ - output EQ - send to input - REC!

Thank you, Aleksander.