Topic: Using Speaker B with Mono Speaker

Heya,

I'm currently running a setup using a Fireface 802 into pair of stereo speakers and one mono speaker. I'm controlling Total Mix from an iPad running TouchOSC using the official RME template.

As it stands there doesn't seem to be a way to switch between two stereo and one mono speaker with a single press of a button. My goal was to use one mono output for Speaker B resulting in a collapsed signal in my mono speaker. As it stands I'd have to press the Mono button AND the Speaker B button to achieve this, which is cumbersome. While not problematic for me at the moment, this also means that I effectively lose one output on my interface. As far as I'm aware TouchOSC doesn't allow to create macros either (i.e. activate Mono + Speaker B via a single button), which would have been a workaround.

This must have been brought up before. It appears to be a pretty standard application. Is there anything I'm missing? I love the idea of not having a monitor controller between my interface and my speakers. Apart from making sure to keep the signal pristine, this would also add to the feature set of RME interfaces and significantly reduce the need to purchase additional hardware.

What are your thoughts?

Best wishes,
Simon-Claudius

Re: Using Speaker B with Mono Speaker

Update: I had the idea to create a snapshot for each speaker: Snapshot 1 for speaker A, and snapshot 2 for speaker B + activated mono button. As I found out when attempting this, the mono button seems to be independent from the snapshots. I then tried to just set the width of the software playback channel to 0 for the mono speaker snapshot, which works.

Should anyone want to recreate this, make sure to set the width of any channels (stereo inputs AND software playbacks) going into speaker B to 0, as well. However, this is not applicable to my setup, as I'm only using software playback for speaker B at this point.

As this works now, I will just add UI elements to my TouchOSC template to switch between the two snapshots.

It feels a bit dirty to do it that way and I'd still very much welcome native mono speaker support that doesn't require a workaround. Is there any way to submit a formal feature request?

I would like to know as well if there is a way to switch to speaker B with a mono out.  It definitely should be implemented, a lot of people monitor in mono and using 2 outputs to merge them in mono is a loss of an output too many for me on my UCX.

For one output, you can use the snapshot method and pan every channel needed to left (for odd channels) or right  (for even).

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632