Topic: Is it possible to record the "Software Playback" Ins on DUREC (UFX)?

Hi!
I'm currently using a UFX in a live band setup.
We're using 20 physical inputs on a UFX, plus some pre-recorded tracks in pro tools (Click track, strings, vocals, percussion, etc..), to feed the Main Outs (connected to venues' P.A.s) and the several monitor outputs to our band's musicians. The P.A. mix is controlled using an iPad running Touch OSC and that's working very nice.

I'm trying to achieve one thing but i couldn't: I'd like to record our band's performances using Durec, but also, be able to record not only the live physical inputs but also record the software playback inputs so i could do virtual soundchecks without the band. Now, i'm just able to record the physical inputs plus the monitor and P.A. Outputs (i don't want to record the monitor outputs), but i can't do these virtual sound checks because i can't playback what pro tools was playing while the band was performing and Durec was recording.

The only workaround to me is if i Loopback some outputs containing these "Software Playback" inputs from Pro Tools and receiving them on loop backed inputs on "Hardware Inputs" section, which will consume some of my precious inputs.

Would that ask too much to in future TMFX updates include a resource that allow us to record "Software Playback" inputs alongside "Hardware Inputs" and "Hardware Outputs"?

Thanks!

Tairo Arrabal
RME Evangelist (lol...)

Re: Is it possible to record the "Software Playback" Ins on DUREC (UFX)?

You can record the outputs (bottom row) without using loopback and losing input channels. Just route the playback channels to unused outputs and arm them for recording.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

You can record the outputs (bottom row) without using loopback and losing input channels. Just route the playback channels to unused outputs and arm them for recording.

Thanks, Jeff, but if i record the outputs i won't be able to playback them and hear those channels mixed to the Mains outs, which i need to do virtual sound checks.

I did a workaround which was using some available outputs (Adat 9-16) and loop backing them to unused inputs (Adat 9-16) and then recording those loop backed inputs.. Let's try now. But if i could record the software playback inputs would be perfect.

MC, can you work on that?

> Thanks, Jeff, but if i record the outputs i won't be able to playback them and hear those channels mixed to the Mains outs, which i need to do virtual sound checks.

Are you aware that you can play back ANY recorded track over the inputs?

Recording software playbacks is not possible, and most probably will not solve any problem, because with such a function you run into the next unsolvable problem (not enough channels). The workarund here is indeed to perform a 2 channel mixdown of all the software playback channels (to one stereo hartware output) and record that one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME