Topic: Will Babyface Pro work reliably with a Multi-TT USB Hub?

Will Babyface Pro work reliably with a Multi Transaction Translator (MTT) USB Hub such as the Elektron Overhub?

While using the Babyface Pro with a normal USB hub (which have a Singular Transaction Translator) will lead to all kinds of glitches, would those be eliminated when using a hub where all the ports have their own transaction translator?

Thanks.

More info on MTT hubs:
http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-a … slator-mtt

Elektron Overhub link:
https://www.elektron.se/accessories/overhub/

Re: Will Babyface Pro work reliably with a Multi-TT USB Hub?

Most probably this information from 2011 is totally outdated, and any hub that you can buy these days is a  MTT one. That's why no one even mentions it.

Apart from that I have never had any hub that did not work well with the Babyface Pro.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by joonkristia 2017-01-26 12:44:57)

MC wrote:

Most probably this information from 2011 is totally outdated, and any hub that you can buy these days is a  MTT one. That's why no one even mentions it.

My guess is that it's a feature that would be useful to very vew people and thus USB hub creators do not want to spend money on it.

I've been now using my Babyface Pro on macOS through the Elektron branded MTT hub for over a week and have not had any glitches. Before I used the Babyface Pro a couple times through other hubs, but they made the audio glitch frequently.

I'm not saying that the MTT hub will make using the Babyface Pro completely reliable, and I would not use it in a live situation, but thus far it's been great. This way the Babyface does not take away one of my two USB ports.

I will report back on my experience after I've used it a longer time (a month or so.) incase anyone is interested.

I've now used my Babyface Pro through a Multi-TT USB Hub (Elektron Overhub is the model I have) for nearly every day for about three months. Only once I have had some glitching with audio that I had to reboot my Macbook. And in that occasion I am not sure that it was the USB hub that caused the problem.

Even thought I would not use a hub in a live situation, I can recommend this to people who have a laptop with only very few USB ports.

5 (edited by joonkristia 2019-02-17 15:55:08)

And now the final twist to this drama.

While using a Multi-TT USB hub worked great with the Babyface Pro I would not recommend the Elektron Overhub. It is poorly designed and it will break after some use. Luckily I had a three year warranty on mine. I got mine "serviced" (they just sent me a new one) and then instantly sold it.

The micro USB cable input port of the Elektron Overhub is ONLY soldered to the board. There is not a single other thing keeping it connected. This means that in time the stress caused by the USB cable (connected between the hub and the computer) will cause the USB port to break. I recommend to avoid this product.