1 (edited by roughgear 2017-01-07 10:11:23)

Topic: Totalmix Bug - leads to high cpu usage kernel_task process OSX 10.11.6

Hi,

I have a macbook pro and a mac mini both running the same version of El Capitan 10.11.6

If I start Totalmix 1.40 or 1.31 (I don't have any other version anymore) the CPU usage of the process "kernel_task" in my activity window  jumps to 15 -25 %.

If I quit Totalmix (which by itself uses between 2 and 6% of cpu power) the kernel_task activity goes back to normal ,l after about 20 seconds it's at 0,5 - 3 % of cpu power.

That problem makes it impossible to use those two machines with my UFX, as using Totalmix already leads to more than 30% of CPU usage even if I don't record or play anything.

Why does the new version of Totalmix increase the CPU usage that much? Are you awarre of the problem?

If I run 10.6.8 and Totalmix 1.04 on another system of mine, the kernel_task process is always around 3 %.
http://www.perfectly-rough.com/media/RME/Totalmix-on.jpg

http://www.perfectly-rough.com/media/RME/Totalmix-off.jpg

Re: Totalmix Bug - leads to high cpu usage kernel_task process OSX 10.11.6

Is it possible to download older versions of USB / UFX / OSX El Capitan drivers? Unfortunately I just find recent drivers or drivers of legacy products. Thanks, R.

Are you sure both TM FX are set up 100% identically? For example one with MIDI and one without could make a big difference.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by roughgear 2017-01-07 11:49:30)

Hi MC,

Midi Control is disabled in TM FX and no midi source is connected to the Babyface or the UFX.
They are both identical besides less channels on the Babyface, no FX is activated.
Did this answer your question?

Thanks, R.

Hey MC,

do you have any idea what causes this Totalmix Bug?
Other users with similar Macs have the same problem:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 86#p101886 (post 6)
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c … emite.html

It took me a few hours to locate Totalmix as the source of the problem.
It's a reproduce-able problem on the Macbook and the Mac Mini.
Since I know about the bug and close Totalmix every time I work, I can work again on Logic Sessions that often caused my Macbook to stop because of "computer was not fast enough to process all data" error.
But it's very annoying to stop Totalmix all the time, as I need to control the parameters and the metering when in a session.

I guess lots of users who think their computer is not fast enough, or their OS X system is slowing it down actually don't figure out that Totalmix is driving the kernel_task nuts...

First of all - is there any proof for your terrifying statements? Or is that just what you think will happen?

> That problem makes it impossible to use those two machines with my UFX, as using Totalmix already leads to more than 30% of CPU

Are you aware that these CPU numbers are PER CPU CORE?

You most probably have 4 core machines, so the real CPU usage is a fourth of '30%'. And I don't see how that 'makes it impossible to use two machines'.

You linked to a 3 year old thread. But did you try what one guy suggested and what worked for him - changing the user account? This is a standard procedure on the Mac to make sure that problems are not caused by weird interactions.

My old MacBook Air has 7% TM FX and 6% Kernel task with a 30 channel UFX and latest TM FX 1.40. And AFAIR that is quite normal. IMHO the Kernel activity is graphics load, but I will verify that again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Perhaps I am not understanding.
Please clarify the hardware test details:

What speed/capacity are the processor/memory/hard drive/SSD are in the macbook pro and in the mac mini (ie what are the differences)?

Test configuration:
1. Are you running both the UFX and the BF at the same time on one computer and have tried them (together) on both computers?
OR
2. Are you running both the UFX and the BF one at a time on one computer and have tried them (separately) on both computers?
OR
3. Are you running the BF on one computer and the UFX on the other computer?

SamProX23 Suite-RME UFX+,FF800;X-Touch,21" Acer Touch,ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71-Win8,MSSurfbook-Win10

@ MC:
I was working on a project the other day, just needed to overdub two tracks of bass and Logic was very unresponsive and stopped playpback very often with "System too slow" messages because of CPU spikes. Even a workaround with freezing files, disactivating channels and plugins did not help. After I found out that Totalmix causes the kernel to use a quarter of the CPU power I ran the session again yesterday, closed Totalmix before recording and it was all smooth without a problem. Kernel_task was around 1 % when I checked during the session. Also, the general feel of logic was very responsive, just like it should be. So, it's a real problem for me.

MC, which system are you running on your Macook air?
(I did not make a new user account yet. I will give it a try...)

I use a Mac mini 4,1 and a Macbook pro 7,1. (links to specs below).
They both feature a 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo and have both 8GB of RAM installed.
The graphic card is a Gforce 320M on both computers with 256 MB VRam.
They both had an ssd harddisk upgrade and the harddisk is partioned for two systems 10.11.6 and (as it's a very stable system) 10.6.8.
I have no problem in 10.6.8. with Totalmix. Kernel_task is at 1% during recording when Totalmix is open. The user of the first link in the post above (RME Forum), seems to have the same problem in 10.10 but didn't experience it in 10.9. which could be interesting.
My install of 10.11.6 is only two months old and as the computers are only dedicated to record audio which means I don't use other programs than my DAWs and I keep the systems very "clean".

@Lindsey:

My setup is:
Imac with 2.5 i5 quad core / 12 GB Ram / 7200rpm HD which I use with the Babyface for mixing.
Mac mini (as above) which I use with the UFX for recording.
Macbook Pro is my mobile setup and I use it either with the Babyface or with the UFX for recording.

I tested:
IMac with Babyface and TMFX 1.40 in 10.11.6 - no problem.
Mac Mini with UFX and TMFX 1.40 in 10.11.6 - causing the problem
Macbook with TM FX 1.31 and UFX in 10.11.6 - causing the Problem
Macbook with TM FX 1.31 and Babyface in 10.11.6 - causing the Problem

As i said before, I also checked TM FX 1.10, 1.31 and 1.40 with no difference in result.
(I never had two interfaces connected at the same time on the same computer.)

Thanks for your help!

More Specs about the Macbook and the Mac Mini:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m … specs.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m … specs.html

> just needed to overdub two tracks of bass and Logic was very unresponsive and stopped playpback very often with "System too slow" messages because of CPU spikes.

Which were most  probably not caused by TotalMix FX. Otherwise this fourm would be fiull of complaints.

We think that your testing and therefore the results is flawed. You used both a UFX and a Babyface, which behave already differently. And it seems you did not notice the difference between audio play and stop. Let me explain:

- Kernel task is about 6% or lower when no audio is processed. USB in Core Audio will usually cause 15% there as soon as playback starts. You get lower numbers with FireWire and Thunderbolt, though.

- The Babyface uses the CPU to render Reverb/Echo, therefore has to transmit audio even in stop mode - if Reverb and Echo had been turned on. Turn them off and Kernel Task will fall to 6%.

- The UFX will only cause the higher number when playback/record are active.

Those 6% / 15% refer to my old MacBook Air 2012 with 4 Core CPU. On a modern machine the numbers are typically 3% / 10% and - as explained - refer to one core only.

In our opinion there is no bug and nothing unexpected going on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I forgot:

You can easily compare the RME driver influence with Apple's own reference - by switching both units to Class Compliant mode. Then they run on Apple's driver, no TotalMix, and you will (should) see the same numbers in Kernel Task again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the input and the suggestions. I'll try it all as soon as I have the time and I'll post the results.
In the meanwhile - what OSX system are you running your macbook air with?
Cheers,

R.

10.11.6 and 10.12.2.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry for reactivating and old thread, but the problem still remains after updating my Macbook Pro to Sierra and to the latest Drivers/TotalMix 3.08.

I just ran several tests and also connect the UFX in CC Mode as MC suggested.
All tests are without actually recording anything - just connecting hardware, opening / closing software:

- Computer in idle mode, no RME Hardware connected, TotalMix not running:
Kernel task is around 1% - 2%

- RME UFX connected via USB and TotalMix USB open:
Kernel task constantly around 20% (!) fans start to be audible after a while.

- RME UFX disconnected from USB but TotalMix USB open:
Kernel task constantly around 20% (!) fans start to be audible after a while.

- RME UFX in CC mode, connected via USB:
Kernel task is around 2% - 5%

- RME UFX connected via Firewire and TotalMix FW open:
Kernel task around 15%

- RME UFX disconnected from Firewire but TotalMix FW open:
Kernel task around 8% - 10%

As it only affects my older macs with Core2Duo guess it is somehow related to the hardware.
It doesn't happen on a MBA or iMac for example but on both, my MacMini and Macbook Pro.
The MacMini and Macbook Pro share identical hardware: both are USB2, Core2Duo, Nvidia GForce230M.
Both computers had been upgraded with SSD and perform well for record audio.
Unfortunately it's not possible to use them with TotalMix as 20 % of both CPUs are constantly occupied.
As soon as I also start recording within a project that uses a few (simple) plugins, the fans sound like a hair dryer smile

Thanks in advance - any help is highly appreciated!

Maybe launchd is constantly killing and restarting some part of OSX?

I also use a couple of Core2Duo MB Pro's and have never seen this behaviour. However, mine have an nVidia 9400.

Have you had a look at the errors in the Console?

I did have these kind of performance problems in Mavericks, related to indexing. Alway happened after midnight. And they disappeared with some system update.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

I'm seeing a bit odd behavior, running on High Sierra (10.13.5 at the moment) where I'm seeing a slightly odd issue that may or may not be related to this.

What I'm seeing however is WindowServer taking up a lot of CPU resources.

I'm unsure whether the ownership of some tasks may have moved between the WindowServer process and kernel_task between El Capitan and High Sierra, which is why I'm not ruling it impossible that it's related to this.

In my case, as soon as I have the TotalMix FX (version 1.50 right now) visible on screen, WindowServer stays pinned above 10%, normally idling around 11-12%. As soon as I minimize and hide the TotalMix window, I'm back moving up and down between 1-3%.

So, I don't see it being mentioned in this thread so far, but one thing you could test to see if it has any effect is to hide the TotalMix window. In case your CPU usage goes down, it could be related to what I'm seeing.

That sounds very plausible. It might point to a graphics driver related problem. Seems to happen on Windows too...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

magebarf wrote:

In my case, as soon as I have the TotalMix FX (version 1.50 right now) visible on screen, WindowServer stays pinned above 10%, normally idling around 11-12%. As soon as I minimize and hide the TotalMix window, I'm back moving up and down between 1-3%.

Hi, I notice that behavior too. Also, I was testing my Mac Pro (2017 quad-core) batteries today and left Totalmix (babyface pro) opened with the laptop closed for 4 hours. The charge was drained by half when I came back... Is this right?