Topic: Burn in time ADI 2 PRO

Hi
Just received an ADI 2 PRO that are up playing and wondering how the burn in time will affect the sound.
Will wait unit the unit settle to have any impression on the sound quality.

Any suggestion for interconnect Cables to be used with it.

Thanks for help.

BR
Lars

Re: Burn in time ADI 2 PRO

I am personally against any cable vodoo. Simply buy good shielded cable with good plugs.

In the HiFi area people tend to spend a lot of money for i.e. silver cable and other things. Seldom you hear some more relaxed voices that those cables only make sense in areas with frequencies that are much beyond hearing capability.

I fear that people who claim to hear a difference are simply a victim of psychoacoustic effects as nobody really spends the effort to do blind or double blind tests.

For my (expensive) HiFi Speakers i.e. I only use 4mm standard copper cable and thats it. I had cable here which costed alone €1000 to try them out, but tbh there was no WOW effect included.

Spend that money better on hardware.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The ADI-2 Pro does not have any burn-in effect. Its select components, like the metal film precision resistors, are high-quality stuff that do not age and detoriate. Also remember there is only one capacitor stage in the whole audio path, at the analog input, and these are special ones again that do not show the common effects that are part of every freshly made and never used before electrolytic capacitor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by nelson_a 2017-01-15 22:24:08)

MC wrote:

The ADI-2 Pro does not have any burn-in effect. Its select components, like the metal film precision resistors, are high-quality stuff that do not age and detoriate. Also remember there is only one capacitor stage in the whole audio path, at the analog input, and these are special ones again that do not show the common effects that are part of every freshly made and never used before electrolytic capacitor.

Hello MC,

Are you absolutely sure about your claim that there is no burn-in time for the ADI-2 Pro?

The reason I ask is that there are multiple users on the GearsSlutz forums who have mentioned that the ADI-2 Pro sounded different / better, after a certain amount of usage:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/masteri … pro-3.html

"Listening update. I'm quite sure this thing needs a few hours to settle. The sound is more organic and open. Smoother. I was getting listening fatigue (quite quickly) originally, not so the case now. Note that I'm also using the SD Slow filter."

This could be however due to the ear adjusting to the ADI-2 Pro however, so I'm not 100% certain.

Out of curiosity, did RME try leaving the ADI-2 Pro powered on (and processing data) for multiple days straight, while examining the hardware components (via various analyzers), to ensure that there was no deterioration?

It's just odd that users (let alone experienced users) are claiming that the ADI-2 Pro requires a burn-in time. Could it be there's a defect in the ADI-2 Pro's on the hardware-side?

Thanks,
Nelson

We all know about psychoacousic effects and therefore make blind or double blind tests.
I can't even believe that people can remember sound differencies from one day to another.
If we have this absolute ear .. why do we need then quick A/B comparisons to be able to recognize small subtile changes in sound ?
And now people come and tell after a week the device sounds smoother now ?
Yes sure wink Sorry I don't believe.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

And multiple posts from one guy don't equal 'multiple users'. But of course those posts will show up after some time. I can only tell it the scientific way, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME