Topic: Connecting Fireface 800 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)

I try to connect my fireface 800 with a Windows 10 Notebook that has Thunderbolt3/USB-C.
I connect it like this:
notebook thunderbolt 3 -> Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter -> Belkin thunderbolt 1 exppress dock -> fireface 800.
The first time it worked, but after some minutes the notebook froze and I had to force-quit. After that totalmix was gone, and re-installing the driver didn't help. But the fireface works, I can see it and use it with Ableton Live and I can even access the fireface settings via the Ableton Live preferences.
Does anyone know what is going wrong here? Has anyone of you successfully connected the fireface 800 to thunderbolt 3? Maybe all this adapter and docking station stuff is not reliable...

Apple 16" MacBook Pro M1Max 10Core 32GB RAM; RME fireface 800; Behringer ADA8200; Line6 Helix)

2 (edited by p8guitar 2017-02-26 18:21:09)

Re: Connecting Fireface 800 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)

for anyone who has the same problem, this is a working configuration:
notebook thunderbolt 3 -> Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter -> i-tec Thunderbolt 2 Docking Station -> fireface 800.

Apple 16" MacBook Pro M1Max 10Core 32GB RAM; RME fireface 800; Behringer ADA8200; Line6 Helix)

Darn I am looking to do the same, windows system Gigabyte GA-x99P-SLI Motherboard with thunderbot 3 to a Fireface 800...

I thought the thunderbolt connectors (2 and 3) were the same but I guess they are not.

I ordered a TB2>Firewire adapter from apple thinking I could just plug it right in.. hmmm I guess I'm going to find out soon?

Thanks for anyone who knows more about this...

4 (edited by Vlospa 2017-03-10 10:44:06)

check this thread @p8guitar
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25048

Awesome thanks!

hello I am an owner of a fireface 800 with Firewire connectivity, the firewire worked great with my 2012 macbook pro that had the correct port to connect into directly.

I recently bought a 2017 Macbook Pro with 2 USB-C (or Thunderbolt 3 ports) which meant that in turn i would have to buy two adapters to work with the Fireface 800. So i Bought a thunderbolt to Firewire adapter then i bought a thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter from mac so it would all work. I tried connecting the chain to my new macbookpro 2017 and even tried re-downloading the latest RME driver for mac with no luck!

I am running high sierra 10.13.1 (spent two hours with apple support and they had no idea)

I also tried to use firewire 400 with no luck on this chain either.

Do you have any insight on this? I'd really not like to buy another interface and other forum submissions seem to have a more positive experience...

This might help:
https://developer.apple.com/library/con … index.html

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Has anyone been able to get this to work?...
Fireface800 > Thunderbolt2 adapter > Thunderbolt3 adapter on a Macbook Pro?
Running Cubase 8.5 on Mac OS 10.11?    (Cubase 8.5 is not supported past OS 10.12.)
Any problems? Latency?

What is the latest Mac OS that supports Fireface800?
Thanks
J