Topic: Snapshots and speaker B

Hi all

Am I right in saying that the Speaker B status is saved with Snapshots?

It seems to me like it should NOT be.

In the same way that the Main Out volume is NOT recalled with a snapshot (if that pref is checked) I think it makes sense that the Speaker B selection is also NOT recalled with a snapshot?

Many thanks

Re: Snapshots and speaker B

I would also think it does not need to be remembered in a snapshot. I suppose this is where Total Mix is serving two different uses...one in the studio (where you wouldn't want the mains/ B speakers recalled), and live where you might want the option for a snapshot to recall everything.

3 (edited by ramses 2017-01-22 13:00:42)

Please don't request to remove this.

I need it, as I use snapshot consistently to switch between different listening targets:
Main Monitors, Speaker B (HiFi), Phones1 .. etc.

TBH .. I don't see the real demand for your request. If you want to save a snapshot without "speaker B" enabled, then simply save the snapshot when "Speaker B" is not activated.

In regards to the MAIN OUT volume .. per default its saved in the snapshots and this makes sense too, as I dont want to blow my ears, when I switch between different playback devices wink

The listening volume of my main monitors with TM set to "0.0" is slightly above my maximum listining volume here .. and definitively too loud for initial listening volume when switching between snapshots.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I guess it really depends on how you use snapshots.

I use them to recall routing options to various hardware, whereas you seem to use them for control room options

the way I see it, the control room options are more elegantly handled 'only' by the actual control room section of TM, and so the way I see it 'all' control room options should be outside of snapshot recall (mono, mute, volume, speaker B etc)

I would like the option to have "ALL control room functions ignored by snapshot" or "ALL control room functions recalled by snapshot" in the preferences, rather than just Main out volume being ignored or recalled

Also - since the number of snapshots is effectively limited to 8 (come on RME....) I dont want to use up the snapshots for the speaker B option!

but I guess this is one of the downsides of such a flexible piece of software - everyone uses it differently!

ah well - lets see what happens smile

> I guess it really depends on how you use snapshots.
> I use them to recall routing options to various hardware, whereas you seem to use them for control room options

Yes exactly. More precise, I use it for BOTH ... therefore careful how to implement it wink

> the way I see it, the control room options are more elegantly handled 'only' by the actual control room section of TM,
> and so the way I see it 'all' control room options should be outside of snapshot recall (mono, mute, volume, speaker B etc)
> I would like the option to have "ALL control room functions ignored by snapshot" or
> "ALL control room functions recalled by snapshot" in the preferences,
> rather than just Main out volume being ignored or recalled

I would not suggest to implement it as a global configuration option in TM's preferences.

This could have too many implications:
- from user perspective: which way to go before starting to spend much work defining snapshots and workspaces
- from programmers perspective: too much impact on code basis and config file formats.

I would implement this as kind of a filter, to filter out, what control room settings shall be ignored
when changing snapshots. I.e.:
- 1 additional Button: to activate or deactivate this filter.
- 1 additional Button: to get a pop-up menue to select what to filter out (volume, speaker B, dim, etc ....)

I would place these 2 buttons maybe to "View Options":
Separator: "C.Room Filter"
Button1/2: "Define" "Enable"

Or alternatively the definition of Filters under TM Options and only one Button to enable / disable.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13