Topic: HDSPe MADI installation problem

I recently purchased an RME HDSPe MADI that has previously been used in a Mac Pro. When I try to install it in my almost four years old PC, it passes BIOS and the Windows logo shows up, but it freezes there and after approx 20 seconds the computer shuts off. The error led on the RME card lits up so at least it gets power. If I remove the card, the computer works perfectly.

The mainboard has one PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot, which hasn't been used before since I've been using the integrated graphics in my CPU. First I tried without having the drivers installed and then I installed the drivers, and I've also tried to boot Windows in safe mode but still no change.

My setup:
Mainboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX
CPU: Intel Core I7-4770K 3,5GHz
PSU: be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER CM BQT E9-CM-480W
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Soundcard: RME HDSPe MADI rev 1.1 (s/n 2277xxxx-something)

Any clues?

Re: HDSPe MADI installation problem

The card might need a firmware update to be compatible. That requires a different computer where the card works correctly. If the card fails in that different computer as well then it seems to be defective.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: HDSPe MADI installation problem

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

In my bed I figured out that I might not have the latest drivers installed for my mainboard, so I installed everything from ASRock's homepage and now it works. It was probably the chipset drivers that were out-of-date or even missing? Or maybe something else. I'm just happy that it seems to work now, although I need to solder some cables to actually hear something. smile