1 (edited by anjnikitin 2017-04-12 13:40:26)

Topic: Software playback

I have purchased Babyface Pro quite long ago, but I still battle against Totalmix FM. Actually, one month gone, but it is still winner on me. I have read the Manual in rissian twice from the first to the last page. I did it in english triple. I watched tons of videos and tutorials. RME manufactures great hardware, but why their software Totalmix FM is so complicated and unintuitive?

Yes, yes, I understand the main routing principle. I think if a user could see an interface more similar to those well-known tabs at the bottom it would spare user's study time a lot. I think that slight highlite on the current hardware output does not give a user clear idea that just this hardware output will gather its mix from the moment. I know that you can make this highlight even more contrast in the menu, but... Look at the brouser tabs for example. Clicking on the defined tab give a user clear idea that all area below relates only to the tab.

Back to my problem. I still totally confused by "Software playback"area. Finally Babyface Pro is a rather audio interface than a mixer, right? If there are any mankind who can properly explain how it woorks? Let me list below my stupid questions:

• What does it mean hardware output titles at the top of each pan knob (red square)?

• Why I can see PH [Phones] at the bottom (see green square) for all?

• No matter which or how many programs is plays the sound simultaniusly it is alwas sterio signal? Which I can flow into defined hardware output?

http://imgur.com/S1uE6ex

Sorry, the manual contains deep explanations about input/output routing for mixing, but only a pair of words about "Software playback" area. So, I cannot pose clever questions not knowing the core idea here. If you never saw anything it is hard to ask about it. But, please try to explain it.

Re: Software playback

Those are the outputs from software audio channels. So for example I have cubase outputting audio at adat 1/2 and mediaplayer at spdif (this is set in configuration/sound of windows). So of all 26 software outputs I have, I only use 2 pairs. Those software outputs are then routed to hardware outputs, same as inputs. This only gets interesting if either you use lots of audio programs simultaniously or if you use multiple outputs in your daw.
Truth be told I do use more SW outputs for headphones and external FX. But the basic Idea is very simple. Just playback channels you can route to any output you want. This is more useful then you might think. I have a motu that doesn't have this and it is impossible to set up some headphone mixes easily.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

If you want to save yourself from the confusion, switch the mixer to "DAW mode" (Options/operational mode), that will do away with the software playback channels... :-)

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

anjnikitin wrote:

I have purchased Babyface Pro quite long ago, but I still battle against Totalmix FM. Actually, one month gone, but it is still winner on me. I have read the Manual in rissian twice from the first to the last page. I did it in english triple. I watched tons of videos and tutorials. RME manufactures great hardware, but why their software Totalmix FM is so complicated and unintuitive?

Yes, yes, I understand the main routing principle. I think if a user could see an interface more similar to those well-known tabs at the bottom it would spare user's study time a lot. I think that slight highlite on the current hardware output does not give a user clear idea that just this hardware output will gather its mix from the moment. I know that you can make this highlight even more contrast in the menu, but... Look at the brouser tabs for example. Clicking on the defined tab give a user clear idea that all area below relates only to the tab.

Back to my problem. I still totally confused by "Software playback"area. Finally Babyface Pro is a rather audio interface than a mixer, right? If there are any mankind who can properly explain how it woorks? Let me list below my stupid questions:

• What does it mean hardware output titles at the top of each pan knob (red square)?

• Why I can see PH [Phones] at the bottom (see green square) for all?

• No matter which or how many programs is plays the sound simultaniusly it is alwas sterio signal? Which I can flow into defined hardware output?

http://imgur.com/S1uE6ex

Sorry, the manual contains deep explanations about input/output routing for mixing, but only a pair of words about "Software playback" area. So, I cannot pose clever questions not knowing the core idea here. If you never saw anything it is hard to ask about it. But, please try to explain it.

You only have to understand some basic principles of TM and then its easy.

Please look here, a primer to set it up and a link with latest RME Tutorials.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … teps-DE-E/

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you all! Clear explanations and great first link to get some extra explanations which missing in orrficial manual, but neccessary to understand how it works.

I think most of the confusion stems from the fact that the "software output" channels are named as specific hardware outputs (which they are routed to by default).

It would be much easier and obvious if RME would follow the example of Antelope and just name the "software channels" as "USB/TB Input" and "USB/TB Output" which then get crossconnected/mixed from/to specific hardware inputs/outputs. Of course this means that in DAW etc. you'll only see "<device name> Input 15" or "<device name> Output 7" or whatever and you have to know/make sure from/to which hardware input/output this is mapped to in default configuration. Not plug&play for people not reading a manual at all, but I don't think that's necessarily the target customer anyway.

Ideally, there would be such a "anonymous software in/out" matrix feature as an option... which could also bring flexible hardware input to software input remapping to work around the Pro Tools 32 channel I/O ASIO limitation for e.g. MADI inputs on UFX+. *nudge* *nudge* :-)