Topic: Fireface UCX easy extension via ADAT?

Hi there

Sorry if this has been answered a couple of times before already (I would guess?), but I can't find a dummyproof Explanation of what I don't understand. I have ZERO experience with ADAT/SPDIF/etc., and from all the Information I found I am really uncertain about it....

So here's the thing: I am running on Windows10/Ableton and using a FireFace UCX connected via USB.
I would like to extend my analog I/Os to connect several hardware gear (Synths, Drummachines, FX-Pedals and the like) and bring them into Ableton.
With the Fireface UCX I can bring in 8 Tracks, and can send out to 8 Tracks.
As far as I understand I could buy a cheap Fireface400 or basically ANY other AD/DA converter wich has ADAT and extend the I/Os in a easy and hassle-free way? All I need is a AD/DA converter (for example Fireface400) and two ADAT cables, and connect it to my Fireface UCX and then in TotalMix these additinal 16 channels show up as "normal" channels with their own faders and all routing-possibilies? Is it really THAT simple?

Please shed some light on this, I coulnd't find a simple tutorial or something which answers the above questions.

Thank you very much in advance!
Marco

2 (edited by vinark 2017-04-13 15:43:46)

Re: Fireface UCX easy extension via ADAT?

Yes that simple. A simple adat ADDA might be simpler then the fireface as that one needs to be set up to send it inputs to adat out and the adat in to outputs. But after that it is just the same.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Re: Fireface UCX easy extension via ADAT?

Thank you, seems really simple then.

What about latency? Currently i can run the asio-driver at very low latency (128 buffersize) which i need for liveplaying. Does the latency change (to the worse or better) when adding an AD/DA extension via ADAT? Is the USB-bandwith high enough to handle this without additional latency? I guess the cpu-usage will increase due to Ableton have to "listen" and "send" to additinal channels, but this bottleneck i could workaround by upgrading the cpu if necessary... question is really, can the Fireface UCX handle it withouth creating additional latency along the chain (AD/DA via ADAT to Fireface via its internal processing and then via USB to the computer, and vice-versa).

Regards,
Marco