Topic: Raydat or Digiface USB (optical)

Hi

I got two things on my mind. What are the benefits by choosing the Raydat over the Digiface - The Box? I know that there is AES, MIDI etc on the Raydat, but when it comes to handling audio. Is it sort of the same?

I have the chance to pick up a Raydat for a good price, but then I could also buy a brand new Digiface USB for the same price. I got two FF400, and one ADI-8 MK2. My idea was to set the FF400 in Stand-alone mode and use it trough the adapt. I do not use my gear so much outside of the studio, but sometimes I do. And because the FireWire client is hard to find on laptops these days I recon it would be smart with the digiface USB if I want to bring one of my FF400 out on some field recordings.
So the situation is more like potato poteto, nearly the same...

One more thing. I compose music for TV, film games etc. So latency / sample/buffer settings, size is a big selling point for me!

What would you guys do?

Best
Kai-Anders Ryan

Composer for film, TV and games.
www.kaiandersryan.no

2 (edited by ramses 2017-05-01 11:11:26)

Re: Raydat or Digiface USB (optical)

I dont have the interface.
I expect the same good driver quality.

Its main use case is portability.
Also nice is that 4x optical SPDIF possible and that you have TRS stereo (async) outputs.
Perfect to connect equipment quickly via ADAT.
But it has to rely fully on the quality of power coming from USB. Should be no issue but could be in rare cases.

IF you dont need portability I would take the RayDat as you have IMHO more options with that. As you already mentioned you have a separate AES and SPDIF (coax) port.

I used e.g. the AES port to connect my Geithain Monitors RL906D fully digital. Phones ports I expect on the connected Gear.

Shall you require Word Clock you can get it as an option.

Also nice to have 2 midi channels which can be of very good use not only to drive keyboards ... but also to remote control equipment, like i.e. the RME Octamic XTC. It integrated as AUX device into the TM FX instance of thr RayDat and thus can be easily be remote controlled in regards to the most important functions.

Also you could much better integrate an ADI-2 Pro in the future as high quality DA converter like described here in my blog:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ort-DE-EN/

For this to work best you need the AES and one optical SPDIF port (Adat4 Out).

I would take RayDAT for studio work for more flexibility.

If you need portability on top take/try the Digiface USB.

I would order both and see what gives to you the best value. Either you want to keep them both or send one back. Online shops work this way if you cant deceide simply by gathering facts via remote.

If you have some spare money look also at the ADI-2 Pro, its an amazing unit:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … erstärker/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Danke schön!!

That is a great reply with a lot of good information. As for now I think I will settle for the raydat. I really don't do a lot of location work. I work a lot in the studio, and at some point I will invest in more outboard gear, synths etc. The reason I want to go this way is that the FF400 is still up there with the some of the more expensive equipment from RME. Also good for the environment  to take usage of what I already have that work good then to invest in the newest gear all the time. Good for the wallet to! smile

I've had my eyes on the aid-2 pro for a while. People I know got it and they all are embracing it.

PS: Very cool blog you got there.

Thanks!

Best
Kai-Anders Ryan

Composer for film, TV and games.
www.kaiandersryan.no

Many thanks, nice that you enjoyed it ;-)

I really think you took good decision to take the RayDat. Its a good piece of HW, very reliable.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13