1 (edited by djcandu 2017-05-05 16:25:36)

Topic: RME ARC USB key command settings

HELLO,
finally I got the new ARC right now!!
I'm happy
so, only one question, can I know through TotalMix (ARC and Key Command Settings) what do I have to choose or how to control these three faders and the mute of these? To understand, in the "AN4" I have the mono Avantone Mixcube monitor, in the "AN5/6" I have the Focal Solo6BE monitors , and on "Main" I have the phones output.
So I need to control these 3 faders and mutes of the same in the best simply and fast mode and not other controls, like "Mackie Big Knob".
https://ibb.co/dfuPd5

Thanks,
All The Best.
Matteo Candura

S/N:73833339
I have RME UCX and TotalMix FX 1.42

Matteo Candura
*Songwriter*Producer*Remixer*Musician*Artist*

Re: RME ARC USB key command settings

Usually you would set this up as Speaker A/B and Phones within TotalMix FX control room section. The ARC does not give access to faders outside of that section.

Or did you mean to control them all simultaneously? That would be done by a fader group, where the ARC just controls the Main.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Usually you would set this up as Speaker A/B and Phones within TotalMix FX control room section. The ARC does not give access to faders outside of that section.

Or did you mean to control them all simultaneously? That would be done by a fader group, where the ARC just controls the Main.

Hello MC,
thanks for fast reply.

Not all simultaneosuly but I want to control only separately the fader of AN4, fader of 5/6 and fader of Phones, the button "Speaker B" in my TotalMix is off and I do not know how it works and yes speaker A/B and phones in control room but how can it be done?

p.s. (I usually used the RME UCX button to select the different output and then increase or decrease the volume but I have to press several times to select, rotate and then set the volume and I can not even put it in mute or in sole mode without the use of the mouse so I  bought ARC usb to do this.)

Thanks
Best Regards,
Matteo Candura

Matteo Candura

> the button "Speaker B" in my TotalMix is off and I do not know how it works

There is a UCX manual! In the TM FX section it explains both the function and how to set it up via 'Assign'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

smile ok ok and i can do what i need?

Matteo Candura

Please just try it so you understand what it does.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

All works well but only one question: I use AN4 mono for my Monitor Avantone Mixcubes and in main or speaker B is not possible set mono for only one but for both in the same time, why can not I choose the mono mode when the channel is in the control room or select mono for only one channel? This can not be done or I'm doing something wrong?

instead, Can I create a group with only one control room channel and map it on the ARC so that I can use the GROUP SOLO and GROUP mono button?
thanks
best regards
Matteo Candura

Matteo Candura

I don't understand how you set up AN4. Is there any special routing/mix to have the same audio that is usually played by mains and phones on AN4? Is AN 3 not free (to use AN3/4 in CRM, for example as Phones 2)?

Yes, with mute groups you could 'switch' audio, and with a fader group even move the fader of hardware output 4. But that seems a bit cumbersome.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok, I set up 3 groups for the 3 mutes in the control room, the faders with Speaker B, vol ph1 and main, I still have to understand for my mono output for control room becomes stereo. please look this https://ibb.co/dfuPd5 lower left this AN4 is my mono Avantone mixcubes monitor but If I assing this as speaker B or Main becomes stereo and if I put Mono in the right of MAIN channel also the other 3 channels in the control room I think become mono. the AN3 is not connected and it is mute.

Matteo Candura

According to your screenshot you could do this:

- Set AN3/4 Hardware Output back to stereo
- Set Playback 1/2 to Mono with both channel's pan to right
- Add AN 3/4 as Phones 2 via Assign

Now you have the mono signal on AN 4 and can control the fader via the Vol Phones 2 button. Then set up two Mute groups, one that mutes Phones 2, one that mutes Speaker A/B.

There is no better way to do it as the control room section is not designed for true mono operation and also not for having a speaker C. That might be added one day, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

According to your screenshot you could do this:

- Set AN3/4 Hardware Output back to stereo
- Set Playback 1/2 to Mono with both channel's pan to right
- Add AN 3/4 as Phones 2 via Assign

Now you have the mono signal on AN 4 and can control the fader via the Vol Phones 2 button. Then set up two Mute groups, one that mutes Phones 2, one that mutes Speaker A/B.

There is no better way to do it as the control room section is not designed for true mono operation and also not for having a speaker C. That might be added one day, though.

Hello,
AN1/2 Software Playback is stereo because is the same for my Focal Solo6be studio monitors and headphones and if I put 1/2 playback to mono so also headphones and Focal will be mono. right?

one question: The mono button right to "Main" channel bottom right to TotalMix window, it is for ALL "Control Room" or for ALL hardware outputs through the same software playback channel or for only "Main" channel assigned?

Thanks
Best Regards
Matteo Candura

Matteo Candura

> AN1/2 Software Playback is stereo because is the same for my Focal Solo6be studio monitors and headphones and if I put 1/2 playback to mono so also headphones and Focal will be mono. right?

Wrong. Pan and fader settings in first and second row is totally independent for all submixes. Try it.

The Mono button only controls Main and Speaker B.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> AN1/2 Software Playback is stereo because is the same for my Focal Solo6be studio monitors and headphones and if I put 1/2 playback to mono so also headphones and Focal will be mono. right?

Wrong. Pan and fader settings in first and second row is totally independent for all submixes. Try it.

The Mono button only controls Main and Speaker B.

so, If I assing in "Phones 1" my AN5/6 output hardware of Focal Solo6BE monitors, in "phones 2" my headphones AN7/8 and in "Main" AN3/4 hardware my single monitor avantone mixcubes (ex AN4) and push Mono? Is a correct solution?

In this way I would have only "Main" in mono so only my Avantone? And the mono is identical to how I used it in the picture before assigning it to the control room?

Thanks
Best Regards
Matteo Candura

Matteo Candura

Read again. You not push mono, you change the pans of the two Software Playback channels when the desired Submix is selected. That's what TM FX is all about - numerous fully independent submixes.

But twisting the channel assignment would work too, indeed. Then the Mono button would work as you expected it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Read again. You not push mono, you change the pans of the two Software Playback channels when the desired Submix is selected. That's what TM FX is all about - numerous fully independent submixes.

But twisting the channel assignment would work too, indeed. Then the Mono button would work as you expected it.

Yes your way is correct i tried it,  are there any differences with the way I talked to you in the previous message? Or it is the same?

Thanks
Best

Matteo Candura

I would get confused by having outputs with a wrong 'function name' so to say, but else it is ok. Under Options - Channel Layout , tab Outputs, you could rename the CRM channels to avoid that confusion.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME