1 (edited by n3rse 2017-05-27 11:51:27)

Topic: FIREFACE 800 - all state leds stay on

Good Morning from Greece.

My FireFace 800 decided today to open and stuck it's ANALOG/ DIGITAL STATE lights/leds continuously on!

I red somewhere that this probably means power supply problem! So I tried 4 different power supplies I could find in my house but none of the solved the problem! I believe that if that should mean that the power connections were "fried" internally I would have no lights on.

Now it seems that the Unit is opening and it just wants something to move on that step where all lights are stuck on

Sometimes I was getting that "hosts" red led but a simple restart was fixing the issue. but tonight things does not fix with a restart.

Please help me, I can't work, I can't produce, I'm loosing so much every minute!

P.S. I'm on a latest driver update, but FireFace settings seems to be unable to open as well as I can't see any window on TotalMix. But I assume that's because my FireFace cannot be seen from my Mac

2 (edited by fiddler2007 2017-05-27 13:39:22)

Re: FIREFACE 800 - all state leds stay on

Power supply is an internal unit as far as i know with a FF800; "different power supplies" you probably mean the 220 volts block where your power comes from? Hopefully where you live there's a stable 220-240 Volts powerline, otherwise i seriously would recommend a power stabilizer like Furman makes them, or at least a peak suppressor. I built the latter my self in the past.

There's a thread on a frozen FF800 here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c … 800-a.html. Also here on Firewire PCI(e) cards and more here: http://www.rme-audio.de/english/techinfo/fw800alert.htm

First of all i would dis-connect your FF800 from the 1394 a and or b card (PCI, PCIe, or motherboard connector?). See if it can be switched on "normally" stand alone. You could then de-install the TotalMix stuff from your MAC. With a PC i know they're in the system32 folders i think. Remove the files manually and reboot. If you can test your Firewire 400 or 800 bus with something else maybe? Check your 1394 a/b Firewire computer drivers, with windows i know how to, but with a MAC? Then reinstall the fut-fire-800 file from RME, fresh download, using RME's instructions.

IMO if you cannot access the FF800 then (for firmware vesion and updating) and reload the firmware fresh, or even reinstall an older version, you'll alas ave to send it to AGaudio. I had problems with a recent UFX which came back with a new internal powersupply unit (i think) free of costs. PS I have it for sale now BTW, together with the blue arc remote.  - F

PS i had a Fireface 800 for a short while 2 years ago before buying my UFX, and found this readme with the then recent update firmware tool:

RME Intelligent Audio Solutions

Fireface 800 with and without TCO

Flash Update Tool 2.77 for Windows Windows XP/Vista/7 32/64 Bit

!!!New version 04.2014, compatible to 2.9 and 3.x driver!!!

- Requires driver 2.998 or higher

V 2.77: New transmission mode to adress Windows 7 bug

V 2.70:
- Support for different RAM
- volume peak of phase invert fixed

Important notes:

The Flash Update Tool updates the Fireface firmware to the latest revision. An installed driver is required.

How to use:

Start fireface_fut.exe. The program will show you the current revision of your unit, and whether it needs an update or not. If so, then simply press the 'Update' button. A progress bar will indicate when the flash process is finished (Verify Ok).

If more than one unit is installed, all units can be flashed by changing to the next tab and repeating the process.

After the update the unit needs to be reset. This is done by powering down the Fireface for a few seconds. A reboot of the computer is not necessary.

When the update fails (status: failure), the unit's second BIOS will be used from the next cold boot on (Secure BIOS Technology). Therefore the unit stays fully functional. The flash process should then be tried again on a different computer.

Copyright RME 11/2009
All rights reserved. Windows XP/Vista/7 are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Fireface is a trademark of RME Germany.

Thank you for your time fiddler2007 to reply to my message!

When I say I tried different power supplies I mean, I tried to switch the cable that connects my FF800 with the wall plug, thinking that it might be a cable problem! Nothing changed.

I'm on a MAC computer and I  have installed every single of the latest files I could find in the RME downloads section.

It seems that the problem is in my FF800 and not at the drivers!
When I unplug everything and I switch the FF800 on I still see every light in the STATE section on (spdif a bit faded but on) just like when I connect it to my mac

I think that means on Monday I have to drive until the local RME service store and wait to learn how much money will I have to pay! Apron 150 euros I make a short guess

Well, luck. PS is your name Sakis? PM me then -F

5 (edited by fiddler2007 2017-05-27 14:28:47)

a PS, and wild guess, can you feed the Fireface 800 with a WordClock signal from another piece of hardware like an Alesis Ai, Tascam 8track or some timecode unit. Maybe a professional Video recorder or something else? Maybe worth a try ... Switch the Fireface on second, after connecting both via a BNC cable, the Fireface's clock in to the other device's clock out. -F

Dear fiddler2007 thank you again for taking time to reply!

Unfortunately I'm a home studio producer and I do not own any of these devices and I would not be able to know how to do this world clock connection! I guess you might mean that this could change the "problem" appears and blocks my fireface from opening!

Ps my name is not Sakis but if you tell me what's the connection you made with your guess I might know the Sakis you are referring to!