Topic: BabyfacePro --> Channelstrip --> BabyfacePro

So i want to send individual channels from the DAW, Ableton in my case, out to my Empirical Labs Mike-E channel strip, and back in to Ableton. Essentially "reamping" I suppose.  I realize I can only send a mono signal since it's a single channel unit(the Mike-E) and that's fine, as I want to individually process midi/vst drum tracks and print them back in Ableton.  So it looks like I would have 2 possible options:  Going out one of the Analog XLR outs(which i'd prefer not to because I use my monitors almost exclusively) and in either IN3 or IN4, or going out of the 1/4" phones jack(preferred as I rarely use it except for composition)and back in through the IN3 or IN4.

This is possible, correct?  I've been trying here and there for a week or so to no avail.  I've read the BFP's manual twice, and watched a few youtube videos and am still completely in the dark.  I'm assuming this is a TotalMixFX issue, and I'm just a total dummy and can't figure out the correct routing and/or not setting it up right in ableton. 

Can someone familiar with both the BFP and TotalMix PLEASE help me out?  I've came so close to throwing this thing on Fleabay and buying a Roland studiocapture or something similar even though I know it would be a dumb move, as I LOVE how stable RMEs drivers are, and how much I'll miss the BFP's conversion.  I also almost bought the cheap ADA8200 to run ADAT just to have more I/O thinking this will help me achieve my goal, but let's be real:  If i'm screwing THIS much up, I'm going to screw that up as well. 

Please.  I beg of you.  Have mercy on me and tell me how to route this, both physically, and in TMFX, before I drive myself insane.  You have no idea how much I will appreciate you.  lol

Re: BabyfacePro --> Channelstrip --> BabyfacePro

Is it that hard?  lol

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

Maybe this helps.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by wyldelabel357 2017-06-13 00:14:14)

No it doesn't.  I have ADD terribly and trying to make sense of these long drawn out confusing explanations is near impossible for me.  I learn from someone showing me exactly what i need to do in my specific situation, then I understand WHY it works and then I'd figure out the whole program.  I just tried to read the text in the link you sent without getting distracted and wasted a whole hour without gaining anything.  Thanks for trying but I guess my worst fear has come true and I'll just sell this and buy something straight and foreword like the Soundcraft MTK analog board.  Shame, I love the conversion and stable drivers of the RME, but i'm driving myself crazy and my Dr. says I'm too old to be taking my ADD medication anymore and I can't concentrate for the life of me anymore(actually got fired from a job for the first time in my life last year because of this).
Maybe someday I'll buy another RME product when I can get my head straight again, but I can't stop making music waiting for that day to come.

Good day.

You are looking in the wrong place. Sending an signal out to whatever channel and feeding this back as processed one is done in the DAW, not TotalMix FX. Either by simply assigning the I/O channels accordingly, or by using an existing 'Insert' function.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You are looking in the wrong place. Sending an signal out to whatever channel and feeding this back as processed one is done in the DAW, not TotalMix FX. Either by simply assigning the I/O channels accordingly, or by using an existing 'Insert' function.

ok im gonna give it one more try today. 

by default, do you know which "ext out" the headphone jack would be? 

And to make my full mix only come out of the monitors(xlr outs of BF) i do that via "control room" in TMFX, correct? 

My head is screwed on a little better today, and I want to take advantage of that and tackle this.
Thanks so much.

Switch Totalmix to "DAW mode" (Options/Operational Mode), then it won't look as confusing. The rest is a matter of Live, as MC said.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

oh wow.....this is all it was? 

So right after my last post, i reset the mix(the one where nothing comes out the headphones) then opened ableton, drew up a quick four on the floor kick to test with, sent it to ext 3, then set an audio track to ext in for the line in, and PRESTO!  it worked, and my dumb brain was making me think it was some complicated routing process in TMFX and it was simple. lol

Good news:  Not selling the BabyFace now. 
Bad news:  Now I want to by more hardware, and an 8 channel adat converter for more I/O. 

...so expect a flustered Matt to come post back here in another month or two about that. 

Thanks so much to MC(my initials as well) for opening my eyes to the simplicity of things, and not just linking me to something you need a degree from MIT to understand. (jk)