Topic: FF400 strange loud noise on boot

Hi All,

Haven't posted anything on here in so long, I had to register again, lost all my login details.

I have a FF400 been using with Win 7 and a TI card for years.

Lately, when switching on the FF - before even booting up the computer, I have been getting all the lights on the FF flashing and some serious sounding low frequency noise. Sometimes it stops after 30 seconds, other times does not stop at all and I de-power it and try again.

Latest firmware 1,71 and latest driver installed.

Any suggestions gladly accepted, as it sounds serious.

Re: FF400 strange loud noise on boot

Are you using the external power supply or bus power via the FireWire cable?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi Jeff,

Am using the external power supply. I have never used the Firewire connection for power.

This problem appears before the computer is switched on.

Seems like a possible power supply problem, can you try with the power switch set to BUS? Alternately try a different similarly rated external PSU.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Well, no power at all in bus mode - I guess because my FW card is a dreaded expresscard?
But when I plug the PSU back in I can see the green led on the PSU plug that inserts into the back of the interface is pulsing - maybe you are right, a PSU problem.

I have another one here but it is 12V but only 1,5A not 2A like the one that came with the unit.

Yep, looks like the PSU has a problem.  Took a chance on using the 12v 1.5A PSU and the unit booted up and worked. Used it for a few hours. Will get a new one.

Thanks Jeff.