Topic: Why +19dB?

Dear Users and developpers,

I have a question, why do almost all RME Analog Output have a maximal output level of +19dBu and not the "regular" Studiolevel of +24dBu?

We have two RME UFX I working together with AVID HD X systems. Until now we only used the ADAT's to get sound from and to Softwares (Skype, Source Connect, Session Link Pro) for Recordings.
We recently switch in one Studio, using the UFX as a Monitoring System (with the ARC USB, which works great btw). We use the XLR Out 1-2 for the main speakers, 2-3 for Alt Speakers, 5-6 + 7-8 for Cues. So we send the Mixes to the RME from ProTools with ADAT and then route the Mixes to the according Outputs.
We were really suprised to realize that als the Stereo Jack Outs are only giving +19dBu out, forcing us to gain the mixes in the Total mix / RME, and thus risking clipping before the signal even gets out of the UFX.

I have to say we have a hard time understanding why such a great product, which I think is not only directed to the home recording market, doesn't give out the same level as all / most of all the other professional products on the market. Espacially in that price range...

Then I was also thinking, how do all the mixers / studios, that might use the UFX or similar RME product as monitoring for 5.1 Systems make it work? How / where do you make the leveling for the front monitors, so that you don't end up with 2 Signals louder than the rest.

Don't get me wrong, we love the RME stuff, works perfectaly, but why +19dbU max? To me that makes absolutely no sense. And I have to say, had we known 2 years ago, that we would use it for monitoring one day, we would have checked the output level twice and for sure looked for another product.

kindly,

Matt

Re: Why +19dB?

+24 dBu is an outdated reference (think tape machines) that brings only problems in real world usage. Especially with 'monitoring' your statement contradicts anything we encountered in the last years, where people complain about much too high levels even at +13 dBu!

I also don't think that 'doesn't give out the same level as all / most of all the other professional products' can stand any serious check. +24 dBu outputs can not be servo balanced, which makes them less easy to use for most users. And most users don't need +24 dBu at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME