Topic: Blue Screen of Death

In the present hot weather I am in the habit of turning my UFX off overnight, while leaving the computer on, because of the many windows open, including Sampitude, Recently, turning the UFX back on has resulted in a BSOD. I am sure this never used to happen before. Is this due to upgrading the drivers/firmware (which may have happened since the same time last year)? I am on Windows 7 Pro and otherwise never get the BSOD.

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

2 (edited by ramses 2017-07-21 11:40:15)

Re: Blue Screen of Death

I think its not "best practise" to turn off and on the recording device while the DAW is still running
and trying to access the device via a device driver (ASIO driver). I could bet that this is the key reason for your BSOD.

Maybe RME can give a more advanced statement. My statement is based on certain experience and "gut feeling".

If I try the same here with Cubase 9.0.20 and RME UFX+ then the following happens:
- 1st I got only a Cubase Warning Message to select another driver or to wait until the device is available again
- when turning it on, then it went good the 1st time.

BUT .. as soon as I turned it off again, an exception/crash happened inside cubase.
I would say .. things like this lead to unpredictable states. Sometimes it recovers, sometimes not.
In my case it impacted the DAW stability, in your case it was BSOD.

You can turn on and off the recording device at any time without issues when its not in use by an audio driver.
But if a driver has a session open to such a device, then bad things can happen when turning the device off and on.

Even for more normal USB devices its advised to eject them properly before plugging them out to ensure that all buffers have been written properly and that you will get no issues in terms of data loss.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Blue Screen of Death

-Yes.  I think you may be correct, and that I used to quite Samplitude first before turning the UFX off!

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.